The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy When searching for a friend may mean searching for his body. ..Jingles needed..

Asking for Jingles...
    Family friend has been missing since Wednesday's snow storm.
    He has battled alcoholism for many years. He's lost everything. His family had to step in and take over his affairs 8 months ago. This included selling his house before it was foreclosed. He was to be moved out of the house for this coming Tuesday.

He went out without his dogs (3 beagles). They are his life. He never leaves the dogs. This does not bode well.

We are heading out with a search crew at noon. To complicate matters our properties abut hundreds of acres of river/conservation land. My grid will include a tough stretch of river bank (and just happens to be the same stretch that I search 25+ years ago for, and found, a missing 3 yr old alive and well).

Footing along the river is not safe for the horses (Hurricane Sandy and snowstorm). DD wants to come with me to search, but she is only 11. I don't want her happening upon a body. We've already searched the upper fields. Footing is ok and I'm 100% sure he's not in those fields. I will let her ride the fields to search again. She needs to feel useful.

I pray that he's just passed out at someone's house. But my gut says otherwise.

Please send up a jingle for the search crew (a good part of which are his nieces and nephews) thanx...
    Last edited by CS; Nov. 9, 2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: grammer/spelling

Jingles that he's found safe. ((hugs)) to you all.

I cannot imagine what you are going through. Jingles for all and hope for the best possible outcome.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Oh my. I am so sorry you are facing this, and sending tons of jingles your way.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this issue. Alcoholism is a terrible disease. Many times hitting bottom means dying. It is such a heartbreak for family and friends.

Whatever the outcome, I hope those who are interested in help attend some Al-Anon meetings. It truly helps. As the daughter and ex-spouse of alcoholics, I am grateful for Al-Anon helping me keep my sanity under difficult circumstances.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

2 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Wishing you all well.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Jingles from NC. Hope he's found safe.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

More NC jingles for all involved. (((hugs)))
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Sending best wishes and hugs. How hard this must be. And you are doing a great thing for your daughter, protecting her but letting her be helpful at the same time.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Sending good thoughts. I sure hope you all find him safe and sound. No sign of the dogs I'm assuming? You'd think that if they weren't with him, they'd be showing up in a shelter or something. ((hugs))
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Wil be covering that in prayer for sure.... for you, your daughter & the other searchers, as well as the family at large.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Sending good thoughts. I sure hope you all find him safe and sound. No sign of the dogs I'm assuming? You'd think that if they weren't with him, they'd be showing up in a shelter or something. ((hugs))
    Sending good thoughts from CA too... and I'm assuming the three beagles were found left behind in his house.

Jingles from CA! Alcoholism is terrible, and as a poster above said, bottom often means the end of the road. Good luck, I hope everyone comes home safe and sound.

I am so sorry. ((((hugs)))

Lots of jingles. This is not a situation anyone wants to be in and I hope that he is found safe.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Many jingles for finding him alive and safe coming from New York.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Hoping the luck that was with you 25 years ago will be with you again. Please know you and your friend are in our thoughts.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Update on this? I've been wondering since last OT day (week).
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

The mods were gracious enough to let CS give us an update on Off Course after O/T day closed. Alas, they did find him deceased
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I'm so sorry. Such a tragic thing...
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.