The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Phone numbers on halter plates

Anyone do this?

I'm ordering a halter plate for my horse and in my recent mindset or hurricane/storm preparedness, thought putting a phone number on it might not be a bad idea. Just curious if anyone else does this.

I've never seen that before unless it was a sales halter (name of farm and #). But, wouldn't be a bad idea. Kind of like a dog collar.

I rarely keep halters on my horses but when we are expecting bad weather I stick them on and have name tags on each one with their names on one side and my name and phone on the other, sure lots of things can happen and they could lose a halter but it's a small thing that could make the difference between finding them or losing them.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

I had not thought about it but it is a good idea. That way in any emergency if someone had your horse's halter on your horse they wouldn't have to go hunt for your phone number. Lot's of merit to your idea.

Might be better to just get a cheap dog tag with the number and clip that to the halter pre-storm. For everyday use, I don't need every stranger on earth at the horse show seeing my phone number.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

Pre-storm I actually braid nametags into my horse's mane and tail. In the Atlanta flood, many horses lost their halters before they were found.
    ~Veronica

That's why mine are microchipped.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have my phone number on mine for sure. I won't take the risk. I also ordered a couple dog tags with my horses name and my phone number that i put on my leadlines.

For me it is just a heightend awarness issue. After losing Avery I just don't want to take any chances on anything with Cat. Before Avery died I would have never thought of putting my phone number on anything.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    That's why mine are microchipped.
    But the microchip doesn't give you an opportunity to put the following note on your crazy-@ss lame thoroughbred...

"If you find this horse, you can keep him."

I also worry that someone who might find a horse might not think of microchips/might not have the technology available to scan. Something printed in plain English w/ a phone number ought to get you a call from any well intentioned person who catches your horse, even a "non-horsey" person if it comes to that.
    ~Veronica

3 members found this post helpful.

Mine are never haltered but before this last storm, I put their breakaway halters on. I like the idea of a dog tag to clip on then. I think I'll get some of them, good idea.
    Kerri

I guess if I had the foresight to know that a disaster was coming (such as a hurricane) I would also affix a dogtag or something to a halter. I have a whole bunch of them lying around for the dog and even from when my son was little and began skiing off by himself.

But if I'm busy trying to extricate myself and my family from some god-awful mess, I'm not going to be waiting by the phone for someone (who's probably doing the same) to call me about my stray horse! And for a more typical scenario of a wander-off, hopefully the authorities would be called and they'd know to scan the critter. Or just bring them home, since everyone knows where my place is and that I'm the "horse lady".
    Click here before you buy.

I put little address stickies with my cell # on a small tag that people use to identify keys. I put clear shipping tape over the info so it would stay waterproof ( I hope!). I attached each of these to leather halters and I put halters on the horses before major storms. Otherwise I don't halter the horses.

I have dog tags on the halters with my name and phone number and I also use one of the old rabies tags from the cats/dog so it has my vets name and phone number. Maybe I should ask him for one for the horses when they get their shots? Anyway I put them on as an extra number to use, plus they are free.

It doesn't have to be a disaster .... horses escape and are found by strangers on a normal day. A friend a 5 go AWOL, with no ID on them. If it hadn't been for FB, it would have taken much longer to ID and return them to her. Halters with at least a phone # would have sped up the process considerably.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926
    RIP Carleigh 1999-2011

A friend of mine does this with a basic horse collar (like broodmares sometimes wear on the big farms) instead of a halter. The plate on the collar doesn't have the horses name, but instead her name and phone#.

1 members found this post helpful.

My horses have "storm halters" which are nylon w break away crown pieces. They have duct tape on the cheek ices w my phone#. They are only for storms.
    I also have them microchipped. It cost all of $45 per horse- Can't think of a compelling reason NOT to chip. Not everyone will think or have the means to scan, but it is an add line of permanent ID.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    But the microchip doesn't give you an opportunity to put the following note on your crazy-@ss lame thoroughbred...

"If you find this horse, you can keep him."

Lol!

We do breakaway storm halters with dog tags on them. Definitely cheaper than a halter plate and it works just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumHorse View Post
    A friend of mine does this with a basic horse collar (like broodmares sometimes wear on the big farms) instead of a halter. The plate on the collar doesn't have the horses name, but instead her name and phone#.
    I agree with this. You want things that are hard for the horse to remove. Collars are harder for horses to remove than halters and have fewer parts to catch on things. Halters come off too easily for my taste. I also like the idea of braiding multiple tags into mane/tail and have even heard of some people spray-painting their number on the side of the horse,

I had a small round tag engraved with my first name and last initial, and my phone #, and put it on Bailey's halter before I shipped him from IL to CA. His halter plate has his name and my name. I originally did it because I'm paranoid and wanted the driver to have no excuses of "losing my number", but now I'm pretty glad I have it on there. Around here with the fire risk, people have been known to turn horses loose with halters and such on if they won't load (scares me to death, and am grateful he'll get on a trailer), and I also leave his halter on at shows, if he is stabled.

I actually caught a loose horse up at Galway and luckily found his empty stall with a chewed-off stall guard, otherwise I would have never known where to put him or who to call.