The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Talk me IN or OUT of this....

I have a 7 month old Alpine goat-total love who thinks I'm "Timmy" and she's "Lassie". Won't leave my side and he has the opportunity to just run away! Screams if I leave her side and stand even 10 feet away. I told my vet I'd like to get her a friend come spring (didn't want to care for another animal going into winter unless the right goat came along). Anyway I get a text from my vet yesterday saying "would you take a goat that was attacked by a pit bull and has a bum leg?" I immediately ask a hundred questions of which she didn't really have the answers to. Turns out the goat is a doe, dehorned, a Nubian (which is really what I wanted!), very friendly (pet zoo rescued her), but practically on 3 legs. Vet tells me the dog attacked the knee joint in the one leg so the goat doesn't use it but it doesn't cause any issues. I have he option to take the goat home and bring her back if it doesn't work out. I told the owner my main concern is that she gets along with my goat otherwise forget it!

My vet was going there last night to find out more details as I told her I also didn't want an animal that I was going to get attached to and have to put down shortly after or be endless vet bills. So I'm going to discuss it more with the vet today before I see her Saturday. I want to think with my head and not my heart.

So would you be a sucker and take her???? She's in no danger as she's in a petting zoo but the place is tired of the public constantly pointing out "they have a goat limping".
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Enabling R Us

Of course, I've wanted a goat since I got my farmette 8 years ago...

I think it sounds like a Win-Win for you & your little doe.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed your little Alpine & the Nubian get along just fine.
    Names?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

ooooooooooo............LOVE goats...........and yes, they will NEVER leave your side........you can go on long walks in the woods and never lose them, AND they can pack your lunch for you with no danger of running away with your meal!....lol....

i had a huge nubian wether.......... merriwether was his name..........and about 50 pygmies.......and a HUGE alpine,with horns so great and long,all he had to do to scratch his back was to tilt his head slightly and any itch was history.........it was amazing to see his awareness of his horn length...

as long as your current goat is a weather, there shouldn't be any problem introducing the 2.....they are herd animals, and love company..........it will also lessen the velcro effect on you, and keep them more quiet............
    i had a friend with a 3 legged goat, name of pegleg, and she was fine on 3 legs..........did all the running and jumping that everyone else did.

don't you just love the way their eyes go half closed and dreamy when you brush them, or scratch a favorite spot?.....enjoy!

If I was going to get one in the spring anyway, I'd definitely take this one Goats aren't that expensive to feed through the winter. Heck, my goats didn't cost anything to feed. Well, maybe a little hay, and they were big goats, but they did find through an Oregon winter on grasses and weeds. They were actually always too fat
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Get her!

goats are super fun pets as you know. go get her and if lassie tolerates her all will be well. but they choose their friends just as you and i do, they may not like each other at first or even ever!

I consider it a sign of kismet when an animal finds you instead of you actively searching for one.

Get her!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    I consider it a sign of kismet when an animal finds you instead of you actively searching for one.

Get her!
    Agreed. Please post pictures after you bring her home.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Does your goat have horns? The headbutting, if he gets aggressive could be a problem for the dehorned goat. That said, I have a full-size alpine type nanny with very long horns, and two pygmies with tiny little heads. When they play, the alpine nanny rears up like she's going to just slam the little ones into the next town, but then as she comes down for the headbutt, she just gently taps her horns on theirs. It's the sweetest thing ever.

There will almost always be an adjustment period where they'll be aggressive and and defend hay piles. IME it only takes a couple of days for things to settle. But, just like horses there are very dominant personalities (typically males) who will continue to beat up the others.
    I had to send one away because of that. I had him since birth, and he was wethered within a couple days of birth, so I can't blame the behavior on hormones or some abusive past. He was actually the kid of my nanny, and they got along famously for the first 3 years. But as time went on, he got huge (he was half boer) and more and more aggressive. I noticed he started charging the poor old nanny for no reason. I was sad about it but I wasn't willing to build a whole new goat pen to isolate him, nor let her get sucker-punched like that.

I would take her, especially if the vet would take her back if it didn't work out with your other goat.

My goat, Peaches, does have horns (or should I say stubs...?). She wears little dog kongs to prevent any accidents. Both goats would be does, so I shouldn't have to worry about male aggression. Assuming I don't find out any new startling information when I go see her, I feel I owe it a trial period. Maybe Peaches wouldn't be happy with company but I'd only know that by bringing home another goat.

As for names...I have to see if she has a decent name but I don't think so as everyone I speak to barely knows anything about her. If she stays, she needs a fruit name. I have two horses: Kiwi (OTTB) and Fig (mini); two cats: Mango and Raspberry (Blueberry passed away); and my current goat Peaches.

Now, what kind of story am I going to tell me family how this goat came home...?!?!?
    Kristen

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Her name will be Plum.

And you will tell the family she came knocking on your door because she heard Peaches was lonesome.

I have spoken.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwayu View Post
    My goat, Peaches, does have horns (or should I say stubs...?). She wears little dog kongs to prevent any accidents. Both goats would be does, so I shouldn't have to worry about male aggression. Assuming I don't find out any new startling information when I go see her, I feel I owe it a trial period. Maybe Peaches wouldn't be happy with company but I'd only know that by bringing home another goat.

As for names...I have to see if she has a decent name but I don't think so as everyone I speak to barely knows anything about her. If she stays, she needs a fruit name. I have two horses: Kiwi (OTTB) and Fig (mini); two cats: Mango and Raspberry (Blueberry passed away); and my current goat Peaches.

Now, what kind of story am I going to tell me family how this goat came home...?!?!?
    Just watch them carefully. If your new goat is only on 3 legs she won't be able to defend herself against attack from a jealous "herd boss" ( which your goat will be) I would suggest putting them side by side in pens so they can get to know each other. If she will always be 3 legged, just watch her other 3 legs for swelling/ stress. I have a doe who is often 3 legged due to arthritis. I give her 2 baby aspirin in a bit of grain and it helps.

Females can be very aggressive and will fight and butt heads just like the males.

Aw, and here I was hoping you could name her Tripod
    Pictures are a must when you bring her home!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Her name will be Plum.

And you will tell the family she came knocking on your door because she heard Peaches was lonesome.

I have spoken.
    That's great!

Anything but "watermelon."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwayu View Post

Dog Kongs...the chew toys???Brilliant!!How do you keep them on?

The tiny black dog kongs stay on very tight and I figured they were safe should one come off and the goat want to chew it. My vet told my I crazy glue them on so I did. She sad the glue is safe for animals.

How long should I keep them separated and when can I leave them together unattended? Can you tell Peaches is my first goat???
    Kristen

For pictures, go on FB and likes page "Kiwayu Farm". I have pictures of the dog kongs and other pics of my critters.
    Kristen

But goats use the front of their horns to butt around, not the points, they use the points to scratch their back! LOL

I'd go get her. My goats have always loved to see more company and this one falls under the category of "I don't need her but she needs me". We had a 3 legged sheep for quite a few years and she was very healthy and even raised a few lambs.