The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Diagnosis: Cat"

Mostly just a vent to people who don't think I'm crazy for dropping $280 and not coming away with a concrete diagnosis...

So, big fat fluffycat Jet has been lethargic for the last day or so. Sleeping in one spot all day, not showing any interest in eating, though he was drinking. He's the one who had a UTI a while back, so I was concerned, though there was always a chance he was nursing a hairball (when I say "fluffy" i mean "needs to be shorn like a sheep"). No yowling when I palpated his belly, I saw him using the litter box without straining, but since he was still lethargic this morning I took him in to the vet. Vet also checks right away, and no bladder sensitivity or bloating. But Jet is running a fever, and he does react to UPPER-back prodding, so now vet is thinking kidneys, though an abscess that hasn't shown itself is also possible. Off he goes to the back for x-rays and blood tests. (Glad I'm reading "The Name of the Rose", no chance I was going to finish it and be stuck with nothing to read in the exam room.) X-rays come back--besides one slightly blurred spot that MIGHT be an irregular edge on the left kidney (or might just be fat, as he is FAT), everything appears fine--no foreign bodies in the digestive system, no stones or abnormalities in the bladder, nothing you wouldn't expect in a big fat fluffy cat. Blood comes back, and all of THAT is normal except for the elevated white cells indicating he's got an infection. (Slightly above normal glucose, but vet said that was within normal for a stressed cat, "With diabetes I would expect that first number to be a 3, not a 1.")

So, x-rays, bloodwork, clipping of the clumpy hair in back, subcutaneous fluids, and an antibiotic shot, I pay a big bill, cat comes home to go back for another shot in two weeks and a check to make sure he's on the mend. Diagnosis: "Cat." IOW, he's a cat, he has SOMETHING going on, but he's not going to make it obvious, but as he is peeing and doesn't have bladder stones, we're going to treat the infection generally and see what happens.

At least when I got home, while he's still sacked out and lethargic, he ate his wet food (when he's not interested in wet food, you know it's serious.) So the fluids and the antibiotics seem to be helping. And now he's being a great big baby.

i understand your situation...........almost thought i was reading a post about my cat and wallet.......my wallet was a tad more empty, and my results are less than good.......

same symptoms, same tests............his white count was 3500......heavy antibiotics..........he was drinking water, i was trying to force calorie laden paste, kitty ensure liquid, every variety of canned food...............NADA............put a call into the vet late last night because he seems so miserable, and i doubt there will be a recovery at this point......

WHAT is the infection?......did your vet say?.......no wounds, clear lungs........

many jingles for quick improvement........in human medicine, that sort of bill would be a very small one, so if you look at it that way, it might lessen the pinch..........

Oh, sorry, Tallyho. Jingles for both of your cats. And believe me, that's not a huge bill (says the woman with a cat who so far has cost over $6,000.00 in vet bills, now healthy as a horse).
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm right there with you! I spent $1000 for no diagnosis. My cat was NQR and spent a couple days with the vet, who did all sorts of diagnostic exercises for a blockage that he could not find. She recovered on her own. Like you, everyone thought I was crazy. I didn't care. I would have done anything for her.

Major jingles for your big baby!

On an unrelated note, your topic for this thread made me think of what happened when my youngest Persian's CFA registration papers came in the mail the other day. My husband opened the envelope and said "Congratulations. He's an official cat."
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho392 View Post

WHAT is the infection?......did your vet say?.......no wounds, clear lungs........
    Nope, no idea and no way to tell unless an abscess blows somewhere and explains it-he seems to be feeling better this morning.

Eh, I spend a lot more on my animals than my own doctor. My insurance costs keep going up so much I can't afford to use my human health care anyway unless it's an emergency. (If I get ONE MORE NOTICE telling me that thanks to X Federal law or Y state law, we've had to add coverage for Z, B, and C, so we've had to raise your premiums again to cover it....and they wonder why I don't buy pet insurance. Doubt the horse could get coverage anyway as he's not objective worth much. Priceless to me, though. At least he's near the cheap vet now. I'm thinking for shots I'm going to haul my cats to my parents--Dr. Pol costs a lot less than vets around here.)

Look at the food you are feeding and check for recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Look at the food you are feeding and check for recalls.

Good thought, though I can't imagine dancer not being up on things like that.

I just went through the same thing, myself. Though, in my case, it wasn't a cat, it was the horse. Over $400 dollars later, we still have no idea what was bugging her, but she got better, all on her own. Sigh, I suppose she got jealous that I dropped so much on one of the cats.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

egads,,,,never even though of tainted food...................but there are about 30-32 barn cats here, of which my poor good fella is one, and no one else is sick..........so doesn't seem likely that it is food, does it?..........he was in hiding for the hurricane duration, when he came back ,i noticed NQR, brought him in...it was the weekend,called and asked for an appr for monday, and sunday eve he had a small seizure.................i was thinking perhaps he got a good knock on the head from something blowing about, but that doesn't seem to be the case,either

No judgement here.

We have my husband's heart kitty going in for a sonnagram on Monday. She has had blood in her urine for 6 weeks and we can't find the cause. Vet believes it's stress-related (she took Tally's death very hard), husband is very concerned and wants to rule out every possibility.

Dropping $280? Phht! I call that part of being a good pet parent.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I'll take your $280, and raise you $20,000. No diagnosis, but a few rule outs. Unfortunately he came home in a cedar box

Medicine isnt cheap, and often we dont get a diagnosis...just rule outs and responses to drugs

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I'll take your $280, and raise you $20,000. No diagnosis, but a few rule outs. Unfortunately he came home in a cedar box
    Yeah, I'd stop WAY before that point. Poor kitty. And poor you....

Not the food. Otherwise I'd have four sick cats and not one. They all get the same thing (Tractor supply's 4Health Indoor) and whatever canned food I have coupons for (Friskies, especially Special Diet for urinary pH, Fancy Feast, 9 Lives, Meow Mix cups) and it's actually the littlest male who eats most of the wet anyway (he was a failed outdoor cat who'd been living under my porch and I think he's making up for lost time since he became an 'indoor' kitty last winter.) Everyone's FIV and FeLeuk negative, they don't go outside, the dogs who do are treated monthly for fleas and ticks, cats don't get/eat people food...I begin to wonder if he can catch cold like a person! I'd have thought he'd done something like eaten cloth, but nothing in his gut on the x-ray.

At least he's moving around the house and eating a bit now. Maybe he'll lose weight (he's the BIG kitty in the house. Yet despite being bosscat, he's very tolerant of the one little female, who likes to do things like jump on the other cats' heads. I think in her mind, she's little, she's the girl, she can do whatever she wants. Jet's the only one who'll actually playfight back, without claws or teeth. The other two just kind of ignore her and hope she goes away.)

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post

Did I read that figure right? And we're in Managerie, in a cat thread, so the $20K was for a cat?

Hey, damn straight you got cedar and not a pine box for that price.

I'm sorry about your loss.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I did $150 three weeks ago and $270 on Tuesday Same cat. First go ended up with suspected GI infection. Second go blood test positive for pancreatitis. She had similar vague symptoms and the vet still feels like she's an 'atypical' case so who knows.

She's now feeling better and has reverted from sulk mode to annoying mode. Last night I was sitting on the couch and she came up to my lap (which she rarely does) and I was all like "awww, good kitty" then she proceeded to use her claws to climb up my shoulder so she could loaf herself up on the back of the couch. I was all like "why? Why are you so mean to me??" Then the other one managed to leave a 6 inch nasty gash across my thigh while wandering across the bed the other night (I know because I was freaking out about the blood on her claws the next day when I realized it was MINE.)

I have tried to explain to both of them that "I am your health insurance" but the don't seem to understand.

Cats.

Actually, your cat has likely been diagnosed.

He is ADR

It stands for "Ain't Doin' Right". When I worked in small animal, we used it more than once. Sometimes critters run fevers and get infections in areas we never can find, in which case, they are ADR. Or, if it makes it better, you can use FUO, which is Fever of Unknown Origin. Those happen too....

He is ADR

It stands for "Ain't Doin' Right". When I worked in small animal, we used it more than once. Sometimes critters run fevers and get infections in areas we never can find, in which case, they are ADR. Or, if it makes it better, you can use FUO, which is Fever of Unknown Origin. Those happen too....

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post

He is ADR

It stands for "Ain't Doin' Right".
    This must be universal, because we use it at the animal hospital I work at, too.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

A friend recently took her older Border Collie mix to a famous vet school, and came away with ADR, and some guesses in return for several thousands of dollars of invasive testing. Her vet said (I've never met him, and I love his outlook) told her to take her dog home, and when it was time to put her down he would tell her. Her last weeks were peaceful, and when it was time she went peacefully. Sometimes there isn't an answer, but this isn't the first time I heard that about that particular school, that it seemed to be more teaching, and a fishing expedition than about the animal and it's quality of life.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Did I read that figure right? And we're in Managerie, in a cat thread, so the $20K was for a cat?

Hey, damn straight you got cedar and not a pine box for that price.

I'm sorry about your loss.
    LOL...no it was a dog. GI scope, 2 surgeries (after the first one he became septic), ultrasounds, blood and plasma transfusions and ICU care. It sure racks up quickly! And yes, full cedar WITH engraving Best get the nice one considering that investment!

Anyway, I dont regret one penny. Had to do it all to give him a chance. Wasnt a terminal disease, just bad luck.

But yes, even barn kitties cost money. Good for you for doing what you can for him! Glad to hear he is eating better!

Jet seems to have completely recovered. Same old hungry self. However, someone is going on a diet. I think we found where the four pounds the Corgi lost went...onto the cat!

Squish, no kidding barn cats cost...my parents like to mention their "free" cats. Never had to go get one, they always just show up, and then..it's a good thing Dr. Pol is cheap, I'm just sayin'. Latest one, the oldest kitty (Kitty) had an abscess. Two office trips to try and drain it and then put in a drain, a week in the cage in the garage while it drained, getting soft food three times a day, BACK to the vet...I'm still toying over bringing her here for the winter anyway, even thought it's drained and closed, since she's almost 13 and got very skinny as it was on her jaw and she wasn't eating. (Mom can't have indoor cats--allergies.) The other cats here wouldn't mind her, but SHE might mind the dogs. She gets very fed up when I bring them to visit.