The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bought my mare when she was 3 and she'll be 9 in the spring. I knew her since she was 7 months old.

I have three horses. My first horse (and first horse I ever owned) I've had 16 years, bought him when he was 7. He's now retired. My second horse is my show horse. She's 12 years old. I bought her when she was 3, but have known her since the day she was born. Then my greenie OTTB I bought a year ago. He is now 5 years old. I bought him as a resale project, then fell in love. No plans to sell him either at this point.

I've had my heart horse since he was 4 and he will be 15 in April. I've had my little QH that keeps him company since 2006. And I've had my OTTB since August 2011.

I will keep my heart horse until the day he dies (which I hope to be a LONG time from now) I will keep my little QH unless someone I know needs a retirement buddy for their horse. And I will either lease out or sell the OTTB when his flatwork gets a little more solid. I wanted a jumper and he is NOT a jumper.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

DH and I have 7 horses between us, but only 2 our my hunters. I bought my heart horse, which is my APHA chestnut overo hunter (profile pic), on my 21st birthday as a birthday present from me to me. While I have owned him just over 4 years, I have been riding him for over 5 years since he was a recently broke out 3 year old.

My AWS (over 65% Hanoverian) gelding, I have had for right at 4 years, but I have known him since he was born.

Both horses are 8 this year so I bought both when they were 4.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Bought Rico as a 3 year old in August of 2004. Through thick and thin, he's been the equine love of my life.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I've had Rory since Sept 15th, 2011. He was a featured diamond-in-the-rough on COTH by yours truly, because man was he...donkeyish! He was 2.5 in that pic.

Now he's six inches taller, hundreds of pounds heavier, and coming home from the trainer in a week! This is from July.

My other "horse" is Odie, aka The Evil Burrito, who was my I-need-a-buddy-for-Rory purchase and starting to move into my no. 1 equine heartthrob spot. He's a 31'' mini-donkey, purchased in June when he was a scraggly, intact, semi-rescue (breeder rescued him, I got him from breeder a month later). He is a GREAT little guy. DH loves him, BO's daughter loves him, Rory loves him, I love him....
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

My life-long dream came true when my first (and so far only) horse was delivered to my trainer's barn on October 12, 2009. A little over 3 years later, and I still have moments here and there where I can't believe he's mine! He is currently 9 years old, and he'll never have another owner. I'll either be riding him, or he'll be retired.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

The love of my life heart horse passed away in June; I'd had her for over 17 years. My little OTTB I've had for 2 years and I got my new WB mare in July.

I have had my heart horse for 7 years now. He is happily retired at age 18.
    I bought my young guy a year ago July he is 8. Both will be with me till the end.

18 yrs ago, I bought B as a "move up" horse for my daughter. I"ve had horses before him & some after him but a few yrs ago, i was in between horses (for myself), my daughter had brought B thru the A/Os and suggested i take him and get a project for her. Now 24, he is still mentally willing to do fences but his arthritis can flare up so we hack every other day. The people at the barn he is boarded at just think he is a slow old guy, they never knew him in his prime !!

One horse I have had for almost 8 years and another for almost 3, and can't imagine my life without either one!

I got Beautiful in 2006. She is around 13 to 15 yrs old.

I have had mine since he was a bag of fresh cooled semen picked up at San Francisco international Airport. That was about 20 years ago.

He's all mine and all my fault. He will be mine until his giant carcass melts back into the earth.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've had my gelding for 7 years. He was my first horse as a re-rider, the first one I actually owned. His sole job now is looking cute in the paddock and telling me he loves me! He's my boy. He took care of me and showed me the ropes. Now I'm taking care of him. He's probably 23 and he hasn't always had an easy life before me.
    My mare? 1.5 years. She's my dream horse. She moos at me when I arrive! Not sure where she learned to moo at her people because she whinnies at other horses. She's super fancy and has tons of talent and a kind heart, so she just may give me a grandchild one day.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I bought my OTTB in July 2007 as a four year old. I sincerely hope life works out in a way that I can give him the retirement he deserves without having to sell him.

I have a friendship horse. One of my best friend's bought her as a 3yo. I bought her from this friend when she was 7. I then sold her to another really good friend for her mother to show when she was 14. And then I borrowed her back to get back riding this year. She is 20 now. She has been in my life for 17 years even though she was officially my show horse for only 7 years. I've since bought a new youngster so she will go back to my friend's farm to live out her years next spring. She's not ready to retire yet but her workload is pretty light now. She still gets mistaken for a "new" pregreen horse at my friend's place. Pretty funny.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

we bred my girl and she is now turning 13. have been offered big big money for her but we could never take it. She was orphaned at like 3 months old and we pretty much grew up together...
    http://s840.beta.photobucket.com/use...l?sort=3&o=105

I have 3 currently: old guy, 20 (had 17 years);TB, 8 (had 4 years); 2 year old, bought off Facebook when he was a week old.

Every other personal show horse I've ever had I kept until death -- 2 for 20 years, one only 10 years but colic got her.

Thinking about this is making me feel old, I must say.

Skippy - 16 yrs - she is 27 yrs young (my retired show horse)
    Jazzy - 5 yrs - she is 7 yrs old (present day show horse)
    Lady - 4 yrs - She is a senior older then 20 but younger then 30 (kid's pony)
    Kat - 1 yr - she is 11 (kid's show pony)

I have had my mustang/arab mare for 13 yrs ( I got her at less than 3 months old), My 4 yr old TB gelding has been with me for about 3-4 months, and my daughters 5 yr old shetland pony 1 yr. My paint mare that I lost a few yrs ago I had for over 15 yrs she was 25. She was my true "heart" horse and I miss her every day.