The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How long have you had your horse?

Today was the four year anniversary of when I first met my horse : ) She was four when I got her. She was the first one I looked at and I wasn't on the market to buy at the time. But a few days later I bought her. She's been wonderful and I am so happy with her. It was a match made in heaven. She has a home with me forever. So just wondering, how long have you had your horse?

I've had my heart horse for 10 years. He's 14, bought him as a 4 year old off the track. He's the horse we named our farm after. Love him like a child. They really become family. took him from psychotic (have dealt with over 10 OTTBs, he was by far the worst!) to 1.20m jumpers. He now teaches lessons for me (walk-trot through child/adult jumpers). Worth his little weight in gold.

I have had my heart horse for 25 years! Bought him off the track as a 2yo and never considered selling him. He is the most honest and athletic horse I have ridden.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's interesting to go back and think about that
    My heart mare has been mine for 9 years (though I rode her for the first time 11 years ago). I picked my heart gelding off of the track as a 5yo 6 years ago. I've had my baby since he was a coming-yearling, 4 years ago. And my baby mare moved in to her new digs in July (so 4 months). My pony is the one that's surprising to me....can't believe he's been here for 10 years!

I have a couple that I've owned for quite a while. I've owned one for almost 18yrs now (my first horse and one of the most tolerant and good natured horses on this planet). He'll turn 23 this spring and is still rocking it at shows with a short stirrup rider. My other guy is almost 19 and we have had him for nearly 16 years. Both of these guys have been such wonderful teachers for my students!

The other 8 that I own have been with me for 5 yrs or less.

I have six horses. Three I've had their whole lives. They are 12, 19, and 22. One that I owned until she was 6, sold and bought back when she was 11. She is 24, so I guess I've owned her 20 years. One I've owned 13 years and my youngest I bought off the track almost 3 years ago.

I've had my little old guy for almost 11 years. He was my first horse, and even though he drives me nuts, he'll live in happy retirement for the rest of his life.

My other horse came into my life last summer, and I've officially owned him for about a year now. He's something truly special, and though he's only 12 now I know for certain I'll never permanently part from him.

I have two OTTB's - one I've had for three years, and one I've had for two. I'll probably own them for the rest of their lives.

We also have my husband's retired field hunter, who is 28. We've owned him for 15 years, and he is one of those tough old birds that will probably outlive us all.

I have had my two guys for 7 and 4 years, respectively. My heart belongs to The Prince and he is almost 20 now. The other guy is 5 and he is shaping up to be a really nice young man.

I must say, I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I have a made in the shade horse and a green bean, so I can either "work" or have a vacation.

Almost 13 years! I was 12 and he was 7 when I got him. I adamantly told my parents that I'd keep him forever. I still plan on it
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I have had mine for 5 years now, owned her since she was 3 weeks old!

Owned as a teen (lost heart horse to an accident after 8 years together), and leased / catch rode for a god decade after that - all short term.

I got my gelding on Valentine's Day this year so just a few days shy of 9 months! Some days I can't believe it has been that long and others it seems like I have had him forever!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

My last horse I bought when he was 10 and he lived until age 24. My current horse I bought as a late yearling. I bought her from my trainer, so I knew her since she hit the ground. She is currently 17 yo.

I've had my horse for a year and a half. He's just the horse I needed and I have such a great time with him <3

5 yrs..had him since newborn..owned his mom(r.i.p)

I got my wonderful small pony almost 8 years ago that I trained, showed, and trail rode (he was barely/almost four). I have had him leased out the past two years. I'm saving him up for my kids one day.

Two weeks after we bought that pony, my mom bought a large pony (12 years old) for herself and proceeded to get bolted and thrown off (he is a very sensitive, nervous guy that didn't have much training; she is a novice). I trained him and did local pony hunters (2'6") on him and schooled 3' at home with him until his eyesight deteriorated in one eye and I retired him. He is still kept at home and again, I've had him almost 8 years.

Next was my heart horse, a TB gelding. He was 10 at purchase and I've had him just over five years. I do dressage, hunters, and hope to start some low-level eventing with him as well.

A few months after that, I purchased a 10~ year old large pony mare from an auction. She was meant to be a project, but had a lot less training on her than I originally thought, so she's been a long drawn-out project the past eh, almost five years. I'm working right now on breaking her though. Maybe one day we'll do intro dressage! She's a lovely mover and would probably make a fun trail pony too.

Next purchase I've had almost a year! I bought him as a late 3yo. TB gelding intended for hunters. He's coming along nicely (just slowly, no fault of his).

Last horse I got was last August...so just a few months. A girl that I rode with several years ago desperately needed to find him a home so I took him. He is a semi-retired 17yo TB...did A/A at A shows for while after a long race career, then did 3' equitation, hunters, and jumpers at local and rated shows. He's had a hard working life and is enjoying just being a horse.

I've owened four horses:

1st was Ellie, I had her from when she just turned 5 to selling her at 13. She was awesome and would jump anything you put in front of her. Took me from 2ft6 hunters to showing 1.15 jumpers. She was an absolute beotch on the flat and would stomp her feet like a 2 year old child, but I adored her.

2nd was Dolly, I had her for 2 years and then sold her to my trainer to be a school horse (which she loves). When we brought her home she was completly different to what I'd tried (was hot and fiesty but really was just unbroke). She didn't even know how to do a circle and when I sold her we were winning 3ft hunters and trying the 3ft3 hunters (her stride just wasn't long enough to not have to gallop everything!). She's now winning on the novice circuit with the school kids.

3rd was supposed to be my heart horse (Lacey) but sadly after a year and a half I had to conceed defeat and she's now happily back at her old barn doing just flat and may go into the brood mare program.

4th and current horse: Sullivan, age 3 and I adore him. Trainer has been long lining and lunging him and today she got on him for the first time.....he didn't bat an eye just walked calmly! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one is going to be fabulous and I'm going to have him for many many years
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Current horse: 2 years, 5 months and around 24 days. I bred her.

I never owned my favorite horse, he was a lesson horse (I can't remember any longer if I leased him or not) and he died way too soon. I haven't had a "heart" horse since, but there have been a couple I liked quite a bit more than others. I really like my two year old, but am careful to view her critically and stay a bit detached, as she is a potential broodmare, but needs to earn that position still. Don't I sound callous!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I've had my one and only horse for 10 years this December. Bought her at four and a half and plan on keeping her 'til she dies.

I'm looking to breed her replacement this coming breeding season.

I've had mine for 16 years. Got him as a 9 year old, and now he's a rowdy 25 year old!
    There's coffee in that nebula.