The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog pimple?

About a week ago I was petting my dog and felt a small lump on his back, about the size of a human pimple. I wasn't sure if it might be a tick or perhaps an ingrown hair, so I scratched at it (I know, I know...bad) and it popped like a zit Today I was petting him again and the pimple-like bump was back and looked like a whitehead with a small scab on top (likely from me popping it last week). What could this be? Do dogs get pimples like humans? This is just one bump on his back, there are no others.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Sounds like a sebaceous cyst. Usually fine to ignore. May go away on it's own. Can be removed surgically if it's causing problems.

My Rye will get tiny little 'pimple' like bumps on this back, more towards his hip area. His are a yeast infection from outdoor allergies. They come and go, I just leave them alone. Until recently I started to add local, raw honey in this AM feed and they have all disappeared.

I know for humans, when you have seasonal allergies you should consume about a teaspoon or so, of raw, local honey to combat the allergies. So I started with Rye about 3 weeks ago. His ears are not bothering him as much (note; he was itching them enough for me to notice and how he has stopped all together).

So your little pimple could be a couple of different things, a cyst like the above poster, allergy reaction like Rye, or something else all together.
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Nov. 9, 2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

My cocker has them. I have them removed during teeth cleaning.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Our chow mix got them occasionally, the only time he seemed bothered by them was when we tried to pop them.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Our greyhound gets one every once in awhile (she's prone to skin issues despite being on the very best food and a variety of supplements). They are quite small, can be popped, and don't seem to bother her at all. I leave them alone now, and they go away with no issue.

My dog is very prone to sebaceous cysts, which could be what your dog has. Hers tend to be pretty firm, though, and the stuff that comes out is drier that your usual run-of-the-mill pus, and is kind of waxy.

I leave most of them alone, but if I feel one needs to be dealt with, I usually pierce it with a sterile hypodermic needle, and then it's easy to expel whatever's inside.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland