The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If you could create a reality show...

What would it be?

My nephew's wife and I were joking about creating The Real Navy SEALS Housewives of Virginia Beach.

Apparently the drama would be so much better than any of the current shows.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I've thought that my workplace could be combined with Survivor. I haven't come up with a name yet...

2 members found this post helpful.

On The Line: the gripping REAL world of the culinary business. Cranky tyrant head chefs, hobbyist owners who can't manage their way out of a paper bag, the drug offences and prior convictions of half the staff, tattoo comparisons, creative euphemisms for pests ("our little friends"), how often the smell test and five-minute rule REALLY get applied in high-end dining, the battle between the back and front of house, 'guess that produce' when it's time to clean the walk-in, why everyone hates the prep cook, will the paychecks from hobbyist owner be correct THIS pay period, how to do a sweep down when you suspect the inspector's coming, what to do when US Foods screws up your order, what the staff's REALLY talking about (today: Why can Kristen Stewart not do any other facial expression than gape-jawed? Does this ruin "Snow White and the Huntsman" so much Chris Hemsworth's pulchritude cannot save it?), what we're saying about your special snowflake order substituting everything*, what we say when you order steak well-done (they'll have to beep that part), and most of all how it will not, like Food Network and culinary schools imply, be standing in a sparkling kitchen in pristine whites delicately taste-testing the perfect sauce, it'll be grimy, backbreaking labor (the quest for supportive shoes never ends-we could probably get a sponsorship from Foot Locker and Payless) and hopefully you LOVE sweeping and mopping, because you'll do more of it than a school custodian.

You know, I'm not sure if that would bomb, or if that would be the most popular show on Food Network. I bet we'd at least get Tony Bourdain to narrate...

*A BIG reason we hate this is we have the plating and dishes memorized. During a busy service, we're on auto-pilot. It's the same reason I HATE when my boss resets my station to make it "more efficient" (ie how she does it, how J2 does it on busy weekends, etc.) All that does is slow me down because it adds time for me to look for things or reach for stuff in the wrong place. Also some customers start adding this, removing that, until it's basically another dish. Yes, we can put your chicken florentine over rice instead of potatoes, so long as your server remembers to put it on the ticket so we know to do that. However, it will take about half an hour if you want us to make it with a wine sauce and could we take out the capers and add pimentos (if we have those in the basement dry storage, yeah, but we have to go FIND them) and serve it over spring mix and pasta and instead of sauteeing the chicken could we oven-bake it...

1 members found this post helpful.

I still can't believe a Pony Moms hasn't come out yet...

I always wanted a good teachers reality show. My former co-workers and I would have been a great group to follow--inner-city high school with a hilarious bunch of super fun but very dedicated teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    What would it be?

My nephew's wife and I were joking about creating The Real Navy SEALS Housewives of Virginia Beach.

Apparently the drama would be so much better than any of the current shows.
    I would watch.

My reality show would follow what happens when you put a lingerie shop across from a USMC recruiting station.

The real estate show for the horse farm buyer. Duh.

The realtor had better keep rubber boots in the trunk of her car. Lots of filming people walking around looking for the potential mud pits. And they will always need to discuss the gravel budget.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

i'd enjoy watching a show about the people i care for --mildly intellectually disabled--living and going to school and working in the community. the bravery and stoicism they have when confronted with ignorance or impatience is amazing, and their successes are hard fought and won.
    i bet it would be a tear jerker with stunning achievements!

i'd enjoy watching a show about the people i care for --mildly intellectually disabled--living and going to school and working in the community. the bravery and stoicism they have when confronted with ignorance or impatience is amazing, and their successes are hard fought and won.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I've long said there needs to be a drama about a show barn. The crazy people, the wacky demands for their pretty ponies, ALL THE DRAMA. It'd be great.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wholehearted View Post
    I've long said there needs to be a drama about a show barn. The crazy people, the wacky demands for their pretty ponies, ALL THE DRAMA. It'd be great.
    I don't understand why this doesn't exist on a major cable channel. I'd watch it.

My teeny tiny little Army post in Germany at the end of the 90's. Sex, drugs, rock & roll (okay, techno) more laughs but still some drama, all courtesy of 150 kids who volunteered to serve their country.

I wish there had been tv cameras there, because we can't remember half the fun we had
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    On The Line: the gripping REAL world of the culinary business.
    Long ago I worked at a truck stop restaurant and we often discussed how it could beat out the soaps (this was before reality tv).

We had much of the usual restaurant items, but added in the truckers and their sometimes unique personalities, many dating a woman in every state, the lot lizards, and the unique people that worked there and all the relationships (some rather steamy) that developed betwixt them all. We even had a couple "who dun it" murders, some interesting drug dealer busts that involved the DEA, and a lecherous manager who was embezzling.

We called it "As the Pancake Flips"

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't understand why this doesn't exist on a major cable channel. I'd watch it.
    There have been attempts, none ever became big. Animal Planet did a reality show following Maclay riders for a season -- can't remember when...maybe 10 years ago now? And there was a Canadian reality show about a H/J "show" barn...except from what I could gather it was a pretty no-name "trainer", a barn manager who didn't even ride, and they had one client. The drama they had was pretty pathetic and I don't think it really made it past a few episodes.

However I think the horseworld is just too small to really have a successful "horse reality" show take off on a big network

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    I would love that!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I would like to see "Who is the internet expert REALLY" nutty imposters, hidden gems, children, trolls and ...dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    The real estate show for the horse farm buyer. Duh.

The realtor had better keep rubber boots in the trunk of her car. Lots of filming people walking around looking for the potential mud pits. And they will always need to discuss the gravel budget.
    Nothing would make me laugh harder than a nonequestrian real estate agent falling into a giant mudhole with her Jimmy Choo's! Yes I know I'm bad!

I also love the idea of Pony Moms. Lord know that could put Dance Moms and Toddlers and Tiaras to shame!

My husband is a caddy....he works both on Tour and at a local golf club. Both would provide excellent fodder for reality t.v. The stories he has on a daily basis are priceless.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

One set in my salon/spa. A REAL one---Jerseylicious is not real (the place is, but that's it). My crazy boss would be so entertaining to ousiders. Get a bunch of women working in one place and chaos ensues.

Dang I had this GREAT idea. But I see they have been mentioned Cool!

Show barn drama (so many breeds and barns to choose from), Pony moms (some real $hit would really fly there).

Horse farm buyer this would be great. But that almost exists without the horses, AK home buyers. Like who wants to live in the middle of nowhere with no toilet, shower, kitchen, electricity, a get your own heat in such a harsh area (but beautiful) as AK. I can rough it but not like that. Fine, hand me the princess crown, I will wear it. 10' of snow and you want me to hike 200' feet or more to an unheated hole in the ground with a wood covering, and be bear food? Ooops, I got off topic. (clearing throat). Moving on. . . .

Dressage barn reality drama. So many DQ's, and Q's, so much drama.

Please reality show people, make one I will definitely watch.