The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We are a soup family also. I could live on soup. Now that its cold, I get excited because soup is an acceptable dinner again !

I make chicken tortilla soup a lot-

To make it easier I use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or, if you use your crock, breasts work well too.

Black beans, corn, chicken, canned tomatoes ( the ones with chilies in or fire roasted), chicken stock, cilantro and a taco seasoning packet.

Top with cheese, sour cream and tortillas.

Theres also a take of enchilada soup that includes the same basic ingredients but add a can of enchilada soup.

Crock pot -Cheeseburger Soup-

Brown burger in a pan beforehand

Dice potatoes, onion, red pepper add to Crock-Pot

Add cooked burger, Salt, Pepper and Red Pepper flakes and mix

Add velveeta cheese in cubes and cover with chicken stock

I eye ball everything, sorry I dont have exact measurements

Both the enchilada and Cheeseburger soups are rare occasions. They are both very good, but a little to rich to eat on a regular basis. Im not a fan of cream based soups.

Ham and bean is a go to for us also. My Grams taught me to eat it with Potato Chips- Done deal !!!

Far less creative than the rest, but my fave is plain broth with home made noodles. So here goes with the noodles:
    1 egg per person
    all purpose flour
    Large pot (small stock pot, pasta pot or a dutch oven) filled 3/4 with salted water, bring to a boil while you make the noodles

Lightly beat the egg(s) in a sutiably sized bowl, and add flour, stirring until you can no longer stir. Turn out the contents of the bowl to a well floured board and beging kneading until the dough is no longer sticky. Roll out a circle of dough to 1/8" thick. Flour the top, cut the circle in halr, place the floured sides together, flour again, cut in half again, and place the floured sides together. Flour the top and roll into a log. Slice the log into noodles of the desired width.
    On a floured half sheet or cookie pan, unroll the noodles and toss with flour so they don't stick together.

Add the noodles slowly, to the boiling water (careful as it may boil over) and remove when they are done. When they float, they are cooked. Cooked noodles, well rinsed, can be stored in the fridge or freezer if you have too many.

Add noodles to the broth and devour.

This recipe can be taken one step farther in the kneading so you can dry the noodles. That step is kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic, almost to rubbery consistancy. Allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before rolling. Roll and cut the same way, then drape the noodles over a clothes horse, chair backs, any suitable surface until dry then store in an air tight container.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

http://www.food.com/recipe/potato-leek-soup-62143
    Another favorite Mollie Katzen soup recipe, which I couldn't find online but know by heart:
    Carrot soup
    chop a whole medium sized yellow onion, and a clove of garlic; include half a cup of cashews, and sautee together until onions are past translucent to caramelized, in 50/50 olive oil and butter, with salt to taste.

Meanwhile, three pounds of chopped carrots are cooking in enough chicken broth to just cover them. If you want this to be a purely vegetarian dish, substitute vegetable broth.

Once the carrots are soft, puree all ingredients together, then return to pot. gently stir in some milk or cream (your choice; I use about a half cup of either) and reheat carefully; serve with a spoonful of sour cream on top, and a sprinkle of chive or parsley.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    We are a soup family also. I could live on soup. Now that its cold, I get excited because soup is an acceptable dinner again !

I make chicken tortilla soup a lot-

To make it easier I use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or, if you use your crock, breasts work well too.

Black beans, corn, chicken, canned tomatoes ( the ones with chilies in or fire roasted), chicken stock, cilantro and a taco seasoning packet.

Top with cheese, sour cream and tortillas.
    I make a similar soup in the crock using chicken breasts.

I also really like this salsa chicken and black bean soup. Both soups are wonderful with avocado on top.

I made weight watcher potato soup for tonight's dinner. I haven't had it since last winter so hopefully it's just a good this year. I love soup!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

My grandma from HUngary always boiled the noodles in water and drained them, then put them in bowls and put the chicken broth over them. Not my favorite way, as I think they taste like wall paper paste that way. But is was a HUngarian thing and we always started Christmas dinner with it.

However, she always added a big pinch of saffron to her chicken stock. Does anybody else do that?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by mosmom View Post
    For Christmas my mom will add a cup of white wine and lobster. It is out of this world!!

Oooooh! Question: do you use the Campbell's soups straight/condensed or add the can o'water as per can directions?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Time consuming but I make Pot Pie alot too ! The Dutch way with the boiled noodles.

Use your stock, add chicken ( since you already have stock, I would use a picked chicken from the grocery). But, if your really going to do it, boil a fresh chicken with onions,celery, carrots and whatever herbs you use to make your stock.

Boil until done, remove chicken to cool and add diced potatoes

Noodles- Everyone makes theirs differently- Some prefer egg based but I do mine like this-

Flour
    eggs
    S&P
    Crisco
    water-as needed

Kneed, roll it out ( as thin or thick as you like, I prefer on the thinner side but the occasional noodle that folded while cooking is a bonus) !!! and cut into squares. Add a square at a time to the rolling stock. If you throw them all in they will stick together. Cook for 45 minutes- add picked chicken after about 1/2 hour.

I have added a can of cream of chicken soup to thicken it up. It gives really good flavor, but again, I try to stay away from condensed soups. This can make a HUGE pot so one can really isnt an issue.

4tbs butter
    2 cups choped onions
    12 large carrots, pealed and chopped
    4 cup chicken stock
    1 cup orange juice
    orange zest

1. melt butter, saute onions until tender
    2.add carrots and chicken stock, bring to boil, then simmer until carrots are very tender
    3.pour soup through strainer, put solids and some of the stock in blender, blend until smooth
    4. return puree to pot, add orange juice, add stock until desired consistency, add zest to taste.

This soup is so tasty and healthy, it freezes very well so I have made big batches in the past.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Simkie - - for the bone broth recipe!
    I will never discard a chicken carcass again!

I <3 Split Pea soup and just watched ATK do this:
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...hp?docid=26821

They say to use water in place of broth, but why not try with your broth.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009