The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your favorite soup recipes

I have GALLONS of chicken stock in my fridge and while I am usually quite creative about making up soups, I'm going through a bit of a dry spell.

So, COTH, help me out! What are YOUR favorite soup recipes? Or other ways to use stock?

One of our favorites is a pumpkin/curry/sausage theme, different and spicy.

A green chile chicken corn chowder is a biggie here when it's very cold too.

I don't have recipes, just general concepts, or I would share more details!

Default Watermelon soup with crab; Gazpacho

My favorite soups are watermelon soup with crab (recipie on Epicurious) and gazpacho, particularly roasted red pepper gazpacho.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Gumbo, esp when it gets cold. Chicken corn chowder, Chicken tortellini soup recipe: Soften a chopped leek or two in butter, add stock. Bring to a boil and add fresh kale or spinach, chopped, a parmesan rind, fresh tortellini and fresh mushrooms. Simmer for a couple minutes and serve. Watch out for the rind
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

My all time favorite is still chicken noodle. when I have enough bones in the freezer, I make stock. I make the soup the same day. Lots of carrots and onions and whatever vegies I have available. Cut up chicken, and thick homemade noodles. Mmmmm. Hubby makes a killer potato soup, w/cream and bacon. Very rich and so good (and probably not the healthiest LOL)

Oooo I am jealous! I never have enough broth! And I love making cauldrons of soup!

Right now I am making French onion, and made a broth from a leftover rabbit carcass that I shot and ate this week. I love roasting the carcass in the oven at 435 / 20 minutes before hand, and always gives such a nice rich flavor and depth to soups!

Monday I made a cream of mushroom, and last weeks was moose hamburger/vegetable. Since you have chicken broth, I'd make a mushroom soup or a mexican tortilla. A cother had posted an excellent one a while back that I'm dying to make!

Do you need recipes?

Ooo just thought of another! Garlic, spinach totillini!! Soo good! I have to stop now!! Lol

1 members found this post helpful.

This one is awesome! http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/201.../lasagna-soup/

This one is very good but needed a little spicing up. I didn't like the sun dried tomatoes as much as the regular, diced tomatoes. I used goat cheese and herb tortellini instead of the regular ricotta tortellini. I also used fat free half and half.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/T...ortellini-Soup

Watermelon crab sounds awesome! I'm book marking this one!

I just made this tonight (with fresh pumpkin instead of canned) and it was delicious! It will use up 6 cups of stock...

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/P...h-Smoked-Gouda
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Black Bean Soup - http://www.food.com/recipe/t-g-i-fri...an-soup-102274

I generally 86 the oil and celery and double (triple) the carrots and green pepper. Generally add more cumin and chili powder as well. This is one of my favorite soups! In fact, it has been my lunch all this week

Loaded baked potato soup. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-p...e7=Home%20Page
    But I use ALOT of chicken broth and way less milk than it calls for, or it turns out way too thick. Delicioso!

With chicken broth I'd make a roasted cauliflower soup.

Gramps favorite soup that I make is a beef tomato noodle. The secret to the broth is to use marrow bones. They add a glisten and a smooth velvety rich flavor.

I learned this tip - add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to the water to simmer bones for any broth - it leaches the minerals out. Why old folks cooked with bones.
    Last edited by pony grandma; Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

AWESOME, thanks guys! Keep em coming! (rodawn, I had all of those ingredients in the fridge/pantry, so we had that for dinner tonight. Tasty!!)

If anyone is looking for an great way to produce a ton of stock, I do this:

http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetua...th-youll-make/

We roast a chicken every week, and the do the above with the rack. I get a gallon and a half of stock off of one chicken (hence my current issue with the totally stocked fridge.)

White Corn Chowder

2 ounces Butter
    1 medium Onion, diced
    3 stalks Celery, diced
    2 Carrots, peeled and diced
    2 Tablespoons Flour
    2 cups Chicken broth
    4 cups Milk
    2 medium Potatoes, diced and boiled
    3 cups White corn
    Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a heavy soup pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook over medium heat until just soft. Sprinkle on the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the broth. Stir in the milk. Heat until steaming. Add the cooked potatoes and corn. Cook for 45-55 minutes over low heat. Check the seasoning. Serve warm.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    Oooo I am jealous! I never have enough broth! And I love making cauldrons of soup!

Right now I am making French onion, and made a broth from a leftover rabbit carcass that I shot and ate this week. I love roasting the carcass in the oven at 435 / 20 minutes before hand, and always gives such a nice rich flavor and depth to soups!

Monday I made a cream of mushroom, and last weeks was moose hamburger/vegetable. Since you have chicken broth, I'd make a mushroom soup or a mexican tortilla. A cother had posted an excellent one a while back that I'm dying to make!

Do you need recipes?

Ooo just thought of another! Garlic, spinach totillini!! Soo good! I have to stop now!! Lol
    Heck yes we need recipes. Get typing, girl!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

My favorite soup is Zuppa Toscana - love this soup! But as usual I used the recipe as a base and tweaked it to my tastes and ingredients on hand.

I didn't have bacon and didn't miss it at all. I also didn't use heavy cream and it was still delicious. I used kale instead of spinach and increased the red pepper flakes.

It's making me hungry just thinking about it - I'm going to have to make a pot of this tomorrow! lol

Are you a fan of broccoli rabe? When I make rabe-

-(3-4 chopped garlic cloves sauteed in olive oil til fragrant, add 1 bunch rinsed chopped rabe straight from colander, dump in 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and pinch salt, cover until starting to wilt/reduce, then add 1-2 cups broth or water, cover and simmer until al dente-10 min)

I'd sometimes have leftovers. So I'd just make soup! Add chicken or beef broth or water. Only problem is the size of the rabe-caused copious chin drips. So I made rabe as for a side dish, then removed rabe from broth and chopped fine. PIA but it made the soup a real soup- once pureed 1/2 rabe and added back chopped to broth.

Additions:
    Small pasta
    barley
    Rice
    Meat-classic is Italian sausage but chicken, even ham is good

A sprinkle of parm or Romano on top and a dash of balsamic or hot sauce and you have a healthy bowl o' goodness
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Default Easy but very delicious Shrimp Bisque

Ingredients:
    3 cans Campbell's Cream of Potato
    3 cans of Campbell's Cream of Shrimp
    1 pint of Half & Half
    1 lb. of raw medium shrimp
    Butter
    Old Bay Seasoning

Peel shrimp and place in skillet with 1/2 stick of butter and cook until shrimp is done. Add Old Bay Seasoning to taste.
    In a large pot add all 6 cans of soup and heat on Medium heat. Add shrimp and butter mixture and stir. Then add the pint of Half & Half and continue to stir. Cover and turn heat down to low.

Pour in bowl, sprinkle some more Old Bay and serve with fresh Italian Bread.

Oh Mosmom... that sounds awesome!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Oh Mosmom... that sounds awesome!
    For Christmas my mom will add a cup of white wine and lobster. It is out of this world!!