The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    And then the energy seems to filter through to other threads too. I think because the USA seemed to be so polarized with this election there are either deliriously happy people (because their party won), or really annoyed, upset, discouraged people (because their party lost)
    I think part of it is that people aren't really thrilled about their party/candidate winning or losing - they're either estatic that the Evil Republican Menace was thwarted or depressed that Obama won. It was an ugly election.

5 members found this post helpful.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

A while back during another OT day, someone started a topic asking how many people you had on your ignore list. At the time, I had more than 40 posters on mine, and most of those got there because they couldn't manage to disagree with someone else without being incredibly rude and, at times, cruel. A few of them actually had good information to share, but it just kept getting lost in the condescending, pissy tone they used to convey it.

Several posters expressed shock that I had so many posters on my ignore list, but there's no shortage of nasty, snarky posts on COTH, especially political ones. As I have something of a temper myself and am not always successful at curbing it, not seeing the particularly egregious remarks removes any temptation on my part to post an equally crass response.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Never been over to UDBB, have you? The most hateful, vitriolic, dismissive, elitist group of liberals that I've ever seen. But then, judging from some of your other posts and that fact that you're a Californian, you'd probably fit right in over there.

This is exactly the kind of comment that has put me off.
    Just plain rude and nasty.

There has been a lot of it, not just this time, but on every thread that could be considered political, for years.
    I find it very disheartening.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Yeah, the personal attacks and gross generalizations are what pushes things over the edge. "YOU are an XYZ...." or "All Democrats are lazy, weak minded, people looking for handouts" or "All Republicans are selfish, greedy, rape sympathizers". ANYONE who has ever stepped foot out their own front door and talked to another human being KNOWS those generalizations are not true, so why say it? Personal attacks and gross generalizations are dead give away for a weak argument, they are designed to try to intimidate the other person and to hurt them in order to "win", why announce to everyone that you have nothing productive to say and aren't well informed on the issue under discussion?

There are some responsible posters on both sides of the issues, I read what they have to say and TRY TO ignore the BS, it's hard sometimes.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Agree with (most of) the above.

It raises my blood pressure and causes my chest to tighten simply reading some of these insulting and rabidly vitriolic posts (for the record, I am a moderate and an independent, and try to see both sides and remain open-minded--though I do "lean one way" when it comes to most issues.)

I can't "learn anything" about a political matter when it's being rammed down my throat by someone with a viewpoint so set in stone and an attitude so infused with rage that they are unable to express their opinion with any sort of reasonable tone, and without smug self-righteousness. (I *HATE* smug self-righteousness. All extremists--on either side of a topic--so often embody this quality.)

I find it so stressful that I *must* simply click away, to a more peaceful topic. Or get off the COTH altogether.

I recently read the OT thread about "small movies you must see", and what a difference in tone! What a breath of fresh air! One of our COTHers, Fred, is a FB friend of mine, and she posted a number of times on that particular thread. She also has strong political opinions, but has too much class to bludgeon people over the head with it on the COTH BB.

As much as I love the OT days, this is their "darkside..."

Thank you for the kind comments DrD.
    I know that I have been a tad *energetic* in liking and 'sharing' on FB.
    and yes I have strong opinions.
    I'm glad that you didn't feel that you were being bludgeoned by me.

There have been a few negative comments to me on FB, all from people who are also COTH members, who have said, among other things, that as a Canadian, I don't have a right to comment on US politics.
    But they were only a few, and only from people who disagreed with me.

I guess the lesson we take from this, here and on FB,is that a common love of horses doesn't mean we share the same views on other things. It might be the only thing we share.

For me, and I am speaking personally, it isn't about 'politics' - clearly as a Canadian I am neither Republican or Democrat, but about issues of fairness and equality, a 'world view' rather.

What has happened here on COTH and on FB is that I have found there are people I like more, and people I *like* less.

Soon, perhaps we can all settle down to sharing pictures of beautiful horses who need new homes.....
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I think the Halloween-Hurricane-Election Off Topic days have run their course.

Looking forward to the forum closing so we can regroup for Thanksgiving OT days!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I guess the lesson we take from this, here and on FB,is that a common love of horses doesn't mean we share the same views on other things. It might be the only thing we share.

<snip>

What has happened here on COTH and on FB is that I have found there are people I like more, and people I *like* less.

Soon, perhaps we can all settle down to sharing pictures of beautiful horses who need new homes.....
    This has been my experience as well. And it has made me sad. The morning after the election, someone I am FB friends with from another horse forum posted a status calling Obama supporters pathetic, anti-god, anti-work, and anti-ethics.

When I asked what god had to do with the election, I found out pretty quickly that there are quite a few people in Texas who think the President should be REQUIRED to be Christian. I had a lot of bible verses quoted at me. And I will never look at the poster of the status quite the same way again.

It is definitely time to get back to horses.

It was the threads attacking people on food stamps or disability who keep horses (or other pets, too!!) that had me ready to get off COTH for good (as I did Facebook long ago). Nothing like seeing folks beating up on people who are almost certainly suffering hardships they know nothing about to warm the heart!

Makes me embarrassed for my species.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the "small movies" thread. I think I need to go there for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Thank you for the kind comments DrD.
    I know that I have been a tad *energetic* in liking and 'sharing' on FB.
    and yes I have strong opinions.
    I'm glad that you didn't feel that you were being bludgeoned by me.

There have been a few negative comments to me on FB, all from people who are also COTH members, who have said, among other things, that as a Canadian, I don't have a right to comment on US politics.
    But they were only a few, and only from people who disagreed with me.

For me, and I am speaking personally, it isn't about 'politics' - clearly as a Canadian I am neither Republican or Democrat, but about issues of fairness and equality, a 'world view' rather.

And , I agree--with your last two sentences in particular. One learns a lot about one's fellow COTHers from their OT posts. Alas, many times they wind up showing their true colors, and "not in a good way."

*sigh*
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I woke up this morning to a map on Facebook that showed the red and blue states and then another map showing the "slave states" to draw a comparison.

WTH? THEY WON THE ELECTION! WHy are they posting inflammatory crap like that now? THis from a woman I once admired and yes, a horse owner. Should I tell her I am a second generation American and my ancestors are from Russia?

Someone needs to tell the Dems and Liberals that their candidate won.

I have lost friends of longstanding over this election. They WORSHIP this man and yet despise ONLY Christian religion. I am dumbfounded.

It was an election people, not the Rapture.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Default My two cents

I have been a member since 1999 on this forum. I was even still a horse owner then. I had, and still do very strong views about politics. When I voiced them, I was nearly beaten over the head. I didn't re appear on the forum for years. Things were marginally better, but only marginally. I have posted several sharply worded things in the past, but I just don't go there anymore. I IGNORE all political posts, as I will probably not change anyone's mind, and they aren't going to change mine.
    Let the hate continue without those who do not wish to see it. I still love OTD, and hate for it to close, it is just extra bad now with the election stuff. This too shall pass.
    Another killer of threads