The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wow. Color me surprised.

I always thought I'd like Off Topic to be a f/t forum. I am surprised to see that I no longer feel that way.

why? Because of the vitrol on the political thread. The election is over, at least for some, and it is decided so I am ready to move on to other things. Guess I must be in the minority.

I decided today, that I will be avoiding COTH for the next week and then I'll see what the demeanor of the BB is like then.

Good luck to all of you, I think those of you throwing barbs at each other will need it.

21 members found this post helpful.

Try Facebook. It is like reading through a minefield.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

2 members found this post helpful.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a similar topic all day. I can't wait for this forum to close and for people to start grumping at each other over high NSC feed, lack of turnout, and poor saddle fit again...

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh my GOSH....forget the president...HIGH NSC feed?? The horrors!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

The political stuff is easy to avoid. I notice the pop-ups have stopped and that's fine by me. I think it's just interesting to read new/different topics and when the election coverage really goes away it will be fine. It's only two days, let things simmer down by avoiding.

If you read past the remarks you don't like, there is much interesting stuff to learn out there.

At least is much I didn't know people thought like that, for good and enlightening and bad and makes you wonder about who could think, much less say that.

Humans being humans and that is always interesting, no matter the topic.

If there is a thread you know you won't like, skip it.

It's unfortunate because I am sure I could learn something, but I stay far away from the political threads. FAR away.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

I usually enjoy political discourse, but CoTH has been one of the most vitriolic places to discuss politics that I have ever seen, and it's been appalling in the days since the election. It's my own fault for participating, and I'm working on ignoring those threads....I'm really just hoping this O/T week ends asap.

If nothing else, I'm glad most of the truly hateful people frequent different parts of the BB than I. That way I feel no guilt blocking them.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    I usually enjoy political discourse, but CoTH has been one of the most vitriolic places to discuss politics that I have ever seen, and it's been appalling in the days since the election. It's my own fault for participating, and I'm working on ignoring those threads....I'm really just hoping this O/T week ends asap.

If nothing else, I'm glad most of the truly hateful people frequent different parts of the BB than I. That way I feel no guilt blocking them.
    Never been over to UDBB, have you? The most hateful, vitriolic, dismissive, elitist group of liberals that I've ever seen. But then, judging from some of your other posts and that fact that you're a Californian, you'd probably fit right in over there.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Never been over to UDBB, have you? The most hateful, vitriolic, dismissive, elitist group of liberals that I've ever seen. But then, judging from some of your other posts and that fact that you're a Californian, you'd probably fit right in over there.
    Wow. Nice.

9 members found this post helpful.

OP I was thinking the same thing. I enjoy Off Topic days but I am glad they come around only so often.

Wow from here too, that was rather... rabid.

10 members found this post helpful.

I think Big_Red_OTTB's point has been proven.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

16 members found this post helpful.

Saweet....my post even comes with an example given.

14 members found this post helpful.

Welcome! Maybe we should have given you the intro.

Maybe this will help, big_red_.

Feel the flow. Do the bull dance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAs2PBL1RsA
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Welcome! Maybe we should have given you the intro.

Maybe this will help, big_red_.

Feel the flow. Do the bull dance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAs2PBL1RsA
    I love it! I think I have to bookmark this for any and all times I need a reminder to harness the good energy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Oh my GOSH....forget the president...HIGH NSC feed?? The horrors!!!
    This is a horse forum. I come here to read about horse things. And I think people have been posting less about horses and more about politics this week. After everything I've read on Facebook and here I'd rather punch myself in the face than read one more thing about red states or blue states.

7 members found this post helpful.

Agree with (most of) the above.

It raises my blood pressure and causes my chest to tighten simply reading some of these insulting and rabidly vitriolic posts (for the record, I am a moderate and an independent, and try to see both sides and remain open-minded--though I do "lean one way" when it comes to most issues.)

I can't "learn anything" about a political matter when it's being rammed down my throat by someone with a viewpoint so set in stone and an attitude so infused with rage that they are unable to express their opinion with any sort of reasonable tone, and without smug self-righteousness. (I *HATE* smug self-righteousness. All extremists--on either side of a topic--so often embody this quality.)

I find it so stressful that I *must* simply click away, to a more peaceful topic. Or get off the COTH altogether.

I recently read the OT thread about "small movies you must see", and what a difference in tone! What a breath of fresh air! One of our COTHers, Fred, is a FB friend of mine, and she posted a number of times on that particular thread. She also has strong political opinions, but has too much class to bludgeon people over the head with it on the COTH BB.

As much as I love the OT days, this is their "darkside..."
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

6 members found this post helpful.

....I hadn't noticed it until someone posted it on this thread, but...

THE POP-UPS ARE GONE!!!!! THEY'RE REALLY GONE! MY BROWSER ISN'T CRASHING EVERY TIME I OPEN COTH! YAYYYYY!

One of the other boards I visit bans politics in all parts of the forum including the off-topic areas, another has a subforum called "Politically Incorrect" and anything politics-related gets moved there.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ....I hadn't noticed it until someone posted it on this thread, but...

THE POP-UPS ARE GONE!!!!! THEY'RE REALLY GONE! MY BROWSER ISN'T CRASHING EVERY TIME I OPEN COTH! YAYYYYY!

One of the other boards I visit bans politics in all parts of the forum including the off-topic areas, another has a subforum called "Politically Incorrect" and anything politics-related gets moved there.
    Yes, as annoying as those popups were, once not there, out of sight, out of mind.

On the political threads, I have learned plenty I didn't know, so can't complain.
    I don't watch TV, other than basic news, or listen to radio, so much of what some speak of I was not aware of.