The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Thanksgiving is coming..

How do you make your Turkey?
    How about stuffing and side dishes? I am pretty traditional,
    Turkey Stuffing (Old Fashioned Bread stuffing.) Gravy, Mashed potatoes, or Yams. Cranberry Sauce and a green veggie.
    And Pumpkin pie for dessert.
    I made a pumpkin pie last year it was great, even made home made whipped cream, really trashed the diet.
    But I used a traditional unbaked deep dish crust, instead of a graham cracker crust. Love to hear others ideas!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Buttered/herbed Turkey
    Homemade Cranberry Sauce
    Wild Rice
    Whole Wheat or Corn Bread Dressing with cranberries, raisins, orange juice, celery, onion and chicken stock
    Veggies
    Homemade Apple Pie
    or
    Apple, mincemeat or pumpkin ice cream from the local creamery.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Also a traditionalist. Bread stuffing, without giblets as the leader in the starch parade of candied yams and mashed potatos. Turnips. Green bean casserole. Stuffed celery. Green and black olives. Both cranberries from scratch and the gelatin-can-shaped version. Gallons of gravy. Large spoon to slap hands reaching for a piece of turkey skin or stuffing every time it's basted.

Pumpkin pie, apple pie and chocolate cream pies for dessert.

Stretchy pants.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Great Thanksgiving recipe that has been passed down for generations in my family:

The PeteyPie Family Cranberry Rounds

Buy one can of jellied cranberry. The modern brands, such as Ocean Spray, work very well. With a can opener, open one end of the can, then open the opposite end part way. Invert the contents into a decorative dish. Turn the jellied cranberry on its side, then slice into 1/2" slices. Place, along with a serving spoon or pie server, on the table. Enjoy!

2 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thanksgiving... which is just strange since I didn't grow up in the US... I actually like Thanksgiving as much, if not MORE than Christmas!

First time hosting it for a large group- we've always had pot luck types... but nope, this year it's all on me! Bring on the pressure!

Got a great family recipe for the turkey... with chestnut stuffing (reminds me- I need to make sure I have that thing on hand!)

Also making a lamb roast as not everyone enjoys the turkey...

Finger food when everyone gets here:
    - Baked brie
    - Salmon toasts with cream cheese
    - olives/nuts/whatever I decide between now and then...

Sides:
    - Green Beans (with almond slivers and bacon)
    - Homemade mashed potatoes
    - Salad (with goat cheese, nuts and cranberries)
    - Cranberry sauce (will attempt homemade and have some pre-made in case it fails)
    - Fresh homemade cornbread

Desserts:
    - Blackberry Tart
    - apple pie
    (someone is bringing a pumpkin pie)

Wish me luck! Thank GOD I love to cook/bake!
    Hope everyone enjoys some great food and even better company
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorites! Yummmm!!

We just put a turkey in the oven... nothing special or weird.
    Then we just have the traditional things. Stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, rolls and sweet potatoes. I think that's it?? And of course pumpkin pie and pecan or apple!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Spending my Thanksgiving with SideSaddleRider, who is an amazing cook. She makes this fabulous squash soup as a starter. Traditional turkey, stuffing, etc.

I make the pies - our family recipe is a pumpkin custard pie, and I do deep dish apple as well.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Also a traditionalist. Bread stuffing, without giblets as the leader in the starch parade of candied yams and mashed potatos. Turnips. Green bean casserole. Stuffed celery. Green and black olives. Both cranberries from scratch and the gelatin-can-shaped version. Gallons of gravy. Large spoon to slap hands reaching for a piece of turkey skin or stuffing every time it's basted.

Pumpkin pie, apple pie and chocolate cream pies for dessert.

Stretchy pants.
    Mistyblue, now That is my kind of thanksgiving dinner! Yuuuummmmmy!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Talking YUM!!!

I love thanks giving too!. All that sounds so yummy.
    Can anyone tell me how to make decent stuffing in a pan??
    I love extra for left overs. I know it is never as good as what comes out of the bird, but would like to try. Stuffing is almost my favorite part of the whole meal.
    Don't you wonder what the average calorie intake is for a person on thanksgiving??
    Naaah, on second thought, too scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I love thanks giving too!. All that sounds so yummy.
    Can anyone tell me how to make decent stuffing in a pan??
    I love extra for left overs. I know it is never as good as what comes out of the bird, but would like to try. Stuffing is almost my favorite part of the whole meal.
    Don't you wonder what the average calorie intake is for a person on thanksgiving??
    Naaah, on second thought, too scary!
    Use your favorite recipe, add a little extra butter, and only cover it part of the time it is baking or it will get soggy.

Another Thanksgiving fan.... not just for the food (which I adore) but to take the time to truly speak OUT LOUD what you're thankful for in a deeper way than the every-day "thanks."

Turkey, roasted upside down (keeps the breast moist) in white wine & chicken stock with carrots/onion/celery, thyme & rosemary. The juice from this makes the world's greatest gravy!!!!

I've adopted the southern cornbread dressing. The above gravy is amazing on it.

But one thing that makes life easier and is so good I shouldn't bother with homemade is: Mrs. Smith's Pumpkin Custard Pie. It's fool-proof and oh-so-very-good.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Thanksgiving is the best! I second the turkey roasted upside down. I wrap it in bacon too for a bit more moistness.

I always make the NPR "mama Stamberg" cranberries, which are kind of like a chutney with onion, horseradish, sugar, and sour cream (served cold). They are a classic now and once people get used to them, they can't get enough.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4176014

I also really like this corn bread stuffing in a pan recipe with andouille, peppers, and thyme. It is kind of a New Orleans style dish and a bit spicy, but you could leave out the Tabasco and substitute a milder sausage and I think it would still be great.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...tuffing-102481

Ah, my favorite holiday!

Two turkeys: Oven-baked and deep-fried. (If ya'll haven't eaten deep fried turkey, you're missing out!)

Cornbread dressing, potatoes, gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, and a variety of pies. I am all about coconut cream pie.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Hi Sanny (waving!)

I love Thanksgiving but am kind of up in the air as to what to do this year. It will only be my husband, me and my elderly Mother. I find it so hard to cook just enough for basically two and a half and not have a month of leftovers!

I do like all the traditional things though, so we'll see...
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Roasted turkey (might pour some champagne over it at the end to crisp the skin)
    Southern style cornbread stuffing
    Homemade turkey gravy
    Homemade cranberry and orange relish
    Wild Rice with pecans and brandied apricots
    Glazed butternut squash
    Pumpkin Pecan Pie (this is my signature Thanksgiving pie - always in demand!)

We may also do something green, depending on the guests (not sure of the headcount yet). I am not fan of green bean casseroles, but I did see an interesting recipe for one with cremini mushrooms and fried shallots, so we may give it a shot. Otherwise we will probably do a green pea casserole.

I usually get so many people that I'm cooking days and days before.
    Roasted turkey- I put carrots and onions and sprigs of herbs inside.
    Bread stuffing, made in the crockpot.
    Creamed corn, made in the crockpot.
    Whipped butternut squash with cinnamon and a touch of brown sugar.
    Whipped sweet potatoes also with cinnamon and brown sugar.
    Regular mashed potatoes with sour cream tossed in as they get whipped up.
    Roasted carrots.
    Asparagus sauteed and then baked with cream of mushroom soup and parm cheese.
    Some sort of rolls.
    Usually a few desserts, apple pie, cheesecake and caramel pie.
    With so many people, we rarely have much leftover thankfully!
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thanksgiving... which is just strange since I didn't grow up in the US... I actually like Thanksgiving as much, if not MORE than Christmas!
    I agree - we need more FOOD HOLIDAYS! the heck with the gift buying.

I love Thxg b/c everyone has their favorite food choices - no having to decide what to fix! everything's on sale! IT ALL TASTES SO GOOD TOGETHER! and there's plenty of food leftover for a few days and it's good all over again.

We fix a very clean and simple meal - oven roasted sweet potatoes in their jackets, green bean casserole (for my son!), roasted brussel sprouts and onions, homemade cranberry sauce with oranges and walnuts, and the turkey! This yr I'm going to make a pumpkin gingerbread trifle (layered with cream cheese and crumbled ginger snap cookies on top) for dessert.

I want to try Down Yonder's wild rice!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

3 members found this post helpful.

We do:
    a turkey
    a ham
    chicken and dressing
    green bean casserole
    mashed potatoes
    english peas
    deviled eggs
    sweet potatoe casserole
    squash casserole
    homemade rolls
    giblet gravy
    homemade mac and cheese (sometimes with broccoli)
    whatever else one of the cousins decides to bring

banana pudding-homemade none of that store bought mix crud
    pumpkin pies
    eggnog-homemade with Jim Beam
    a cake with 7 minute frosting
    mocha brownie trifle
    cheese cake

Keep in mind I don't have to do all of this. I would love to do my traditional sit down meal, but we do things at my hubby's grandmother's place and all the aunts and I do the cooking for about 75 of us. Yes, I said 75. That is just on my dh's side and not extended-his mama was one of 7, and there are 5 generations now from one couple.

If it was going to be just my bunch-8 of us, 3 boyfriends, a sister, a nephew and his wife and an adopted nephew and his wife and 2 kids, 2 other nephews and a mother in law(21 to 25 if the other nephew and family made it to town)we would do all of the above too, just in slightly smaller amounts. I would do a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey, and big ham. I would love it if my other sister and her bunch would come, and add 7 to the party. My tee-tiny house just bulges, and I love it!!!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Turns out my turkey won't see the oven till Saturday.... instead we're taking Mr. ChocoMare's dad OUT to eat at The Smith House. Ohhhhhhh, what wonderful food!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

So, somehow my whole family wandered their seperate ways and I ended up slated to cook for DH and MIL.

Turkey breast is mostly thawed.
    Last minute trip to store for Stovetop stuffing accomplished

Trying to muster enough enthusiasm to make something a bit special.... I had been threatening to make spaghetti
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry