The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't think monthly shots has ever been tested.

The latest study is what is on the label now - 1 shot every 4 days for 7 total shots. That's what has been studied to have the best uptake by the cartilage.

I did the every 4 days but my vet actually said one shot every week for 4 weeks and then once a month. I googled the question and right away found a published article saying the same. I will stick with the majority opinion of every 4 days for now but I am hoping the regiment my vet suggested turns out to be better...save me a lot of money.

The 1 x 7 x 4 is the old recommendation from Luitpold, but newer studies (and the current labeling) show that 1x4x7 produces better results.

1 members found this post helpful.

It does vary between vets and I've heard:

1) do the 1x4x7 "loading dose" every 4-6 mo.

2) give 1 shot weekly (and don't waste $ on oral supplements)

3) do the loading dose then 1 shot monthly

Personally I never saw much difference giving the 1x / month shot.

I do notice a difference giving a shot weekly but geez, it is just brutal on the wallet.

We've used the label directions on multiple occasions with good results.

We tried the "periodic doses" and didn't really see any difference (still needed the label dose after several months; that suggests the "periodic doses" are ineffective and a waste of money as this stuff is not cheap).

With any medication the label dose is the dose that the regulators have found to be safe and effective. Going outside that protocol makes you vet. medicine experimental project. This is not necessarily illegal (a vet. can use meds in an "off label" way). But it's still an experiment.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

For those who are doing the loading dose every 6 months, do your horses have actual issues or are you doing so for a preventative means?

My mare has some mild arthritis so there is a reason behind using it but am wondering about trying the loading dose every 6 months instead of a vial once a month...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jocelynne View Post
    For those who are doing the loading dose every 6 months, do your horses have actual issues or are you doing so for a preventative means?

My mare has some mild arthritis so there is a reason behind using it but am wondering about trying the loading dose every 6 months instead of a vial once a month...
    I'm doing it as a preventative on an up and coming horse instead of a feed through. I use the loading dose as recommended by my vet and also the rep that boards at my barn.