The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Just for FUN, and if COST is not a consideration... STALLION thoughts?

O.K., following a conversation with a friend about certain mares... it prompted me to consider the following...

IF MONEY IS NOT A CONSIDERATION, i.e., if one's budget is trully unlimited...

What STALLION would anyone want to breed their mare to in order to produce an upper level dressage horse OR jumper???

Now, I know that breeding is a complicated, scientific, well thought out activity that responsible breeders spend lots of time considering, etc..., but please have a bit of fun here with suggestions...

And, the reason I said for an upper level dressage OR jumper is because I believe there are attributes in some stallions that facilitate the production of offspring that may be able to do both/either discipline quite well... afterall, for performance testing, horses have to do a variety of athletic endeavors!

Also, try to help us out and say whether the stallion or his semen is/would be available in North America, and, if so, in what form...

Thanks in advance for playing this fun game!
    Gleann Oighrig LLC
    Showing, Sales, Breeding, and Boarding
    Manakin-Sabot, Virginia

I have a young AFR daughter, full TB, full sister to a GP jumper and Advanced event horse, and I would love to breed her to Le Diamant de Semilly.

Or, if we are truly dreaming, AP Indy.

But I would be primarily breeding for an eventer.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

As much as I think this is a fun stallion question, I have to say that to produce anything of top potential, you have to start with a great mare!

Once we have a stronger pool of mares that we breed to, then the stallion choices become easier. Greatness produces greatness.

So for example, I'll take my States Premuim Cassini I x Heraldik x Landgraf mare. Tall, legged, 10+ in looks and conformation. I bred her to, and expecting a foal from, Limbus. He had a couple offspring at the London games and offers this mare the bit she needs improving upon, blood. Realistic expectations....it's going to be a top foal. One that rivals that of those produced in Europe.

When you breed great mares to great stallions, you can achieve greatness in the foal. There are many superb stallions here in NA, but most cannot improve too many lacking qualities of a mare. It takes a very special stallion to do that.

As breeders, we need to be vigilant in our mare choice before stallion choice. That's the biggest part of a very important equation.

IMO

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

2 members found this post helpful.

I've got the mare I want to breed with, just can't bear to stop riding her just yet and don't believe in ET. So this is fantasy breeding for the future.

The mare is Le Rouge x King Arthur x Arogno. Same dam line as Kasimir. She's schooling towards GP with (so far) not too many problems. She graded premium and showed a super jump at her mare performance test. She's kind and brave and has such good feet that she's in full work including hacking out on roads without shoes.

The list of stallions I'd like to use with her and reasons why are:

Silvermoon (of course!) Because he's line bred to Mahagoni and she's line bred to Arogno which should produce a lovely foal. He's also a producer of several GP dressage horses and advanced eventers.

Exclusiv. Another Trakehner who stands at the same stud as Kostolany. Best hind leg I've ever seen in his offspring. GP producer. His offspring can also jump. His sire was a successful TB eventer. I would love a filly by this stallion.

Legrande. Golden boy He is a stunningly beautiful buckskin stallion with extraordinary paces, natural talent for passage and a super jump. He's show jumped to 1m 35 ish level and has just started his dressage career. He also has an incredible temperament.

Balloon. GP show jumper by Balou du Rouet. I love this horse's conformation and bubbly, bouncy way of going. He's another with a stunning temperament. After his presentation at a stallion show I watched him being ridden back to the stables. The riders young son who was no more than 4 years old ran up to this stallion, wrapped his arms round his front leg and declared "I love you B'oon" Balloon stopped dead in his tracks and ever so gently nuzzled the boy's hair. It looked as if this knee level cuddle happened frequently as the rider was very relaxed and smiling. The stallion knew he had to be very gentle so as not to hurt the child. He was standing in the aisle way of the stables surrounded by stallions he did not know at the time.

Two of these stallions are available in the US via frozen. They are Silvermoon and Legrande.

Absolutely adore Legrande also Stolensilver.
    I have a Guidam mare in foal to Balou du Rouet for next year and although I love Balloon, both movement and jump I just think he is a little expensive when his cv and T&C's are taken into account. Gorgeous though all the same.

People are going crazy for Pacino this year but I would still love to use Winningmood, Diamant and Kannan (to blood mares however).

I would want to lease this mare Regnbue OR Peony and breed her to Argentinus

I know his semen is not good but with all the money in the world I could use the best vet in the world for as long as needed and try for as long as needed

or
    Legrande
    Brair 899
    Milky Way GF

ETA I would also sex the semen for a filly
    Last edited by Nootka; Nov. 9, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

If money were no object, I would buy suitable mares to use with De Niro, Don Schufro, Jazz, Totilas. The first three because they are really getting up there in age, and Totilas simply because.....he is Totilas. I might also want a suitable mare for Come Back II. And would love to try the Argentinus frozen. And frozen from Ferro and Florestan I.

Well I don't have a mare worth breeding ......but since this is for fun........I'd like to lease (cause I am not into breeding) a nice WB broodmare and breed her to BRIAR 899. Just as a kinda custom breeding for myself. I love this stallion he was incredible as a dressage horse. I have no idea on where he stands or how much but since this is a game I can dream this!! lol

De Niro or Don Frederico for my Wolkentanz I mare....

actually i keep a list of dream stallions and right now most of them are Donnerhall.....

I would breed my tb mare to Couleur Rubin, get a filly and then breed that filly to Winningmood.

Only problem is my mare has only had colts so far.

Couleur Rubin and Winningmood are on my wish list. Love them both!

Default 20 so far, keep them coming!

O.K., so I am now compiling the "Money Not A Consideration" dream stallion list and we have 20 candidates at this point...

I guess since the weather has been a bit cooler than normal in Virginia where I live, I must be getting into the HOLIDAY spirit a bit early!

So, please keep the suggestions coming and, by all means, in addition to the disciplines of dressage and jumping, feel free to suggest stallions from/in the Eventing world!

At some point in the future, I will post the list so everyone may vote for their favorites!

Thanks!
    Gleann Oighrig LLC
    Showing, Sales, Breeding, and Boarding
    Manakin-Sabot, Virginia

Assuming the right mare - Waitiki - and for an UL eventer, Fleetwater Opposition

although Hickstead is tempting I have to say.