The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clinicians

Hey everyone!

After being a long-time lurker, I am finally reaching out to the COTH community for help.

My local association wants to host a clinic next year. We have a very competitve local circuit, though it is mostly at the 3' and under levels. We are seeking not necessarily the biggest name, but someone who is willing to teach the 2-6ers, kids (I know some prefer not to teach children), and riders who may not show often. Many of our members may only show once or twice a year, but really want to learn how to be better.

Any suggestions as to who might be good??? Who to stay away from??? Anyone with a hunter background as opposed to jumpers and/or equitation?

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Did you email me? I read it on my phone, so I didnt see it when I got home, will reply tonight.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Depending on where you are I would recommend Teddi Ismond. She is an exceptional teacher and would be excellent for the 2'6 and 3' kids as she is very in tune with the mental aspect of riding in addition to stressing equitation as a foundation for both the hunters and jumpers. She is an 'R' judge and trained with George Morris as a junior. She is based out of Virginia.

http://www.hvfinternational.com/
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Rob Gage is really good.

David Wright puts on a great clinic & does one at the Gulfport show grounds every November, divisions from 2'-2'6" to over 3'6"; I go ever year and always come home with new exercises to torture my students with

Holly Shepherd is awesome & great with the hunters but not so great for kids... she's alittle rough around the edges

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Bernie Traurig

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    Depending on where you are I would recommend Teddi Ismond. She is an exceptional teacher and would be excellent for the 2'6 and 3' kids as she is very in tune with the mental aspect of riding in addition to stressing equitation as a foundation for both the hunters and jumpers. She is an 'R' judge and trained with George Morris as a junior. She is based out of Virginia.

http://www.hvfinternational.com/
    x2 ^
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Charles Throckmorton does a good job with all levels. My daughter went to a clinic this summer and learned a lot.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Second Bernie - he's such a gifted teacher.

Does Danny Robertshaw still do clinics? Rode in one with him YEARS ago and got so much out of it.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Just a guess but some of those named are probably going to be cost prohibitive for a local organization clinic...even without the plane tickets and hotel.

Try checking in your area-say a 200 mile radius- for medium or locally BN, successful trainers who may have worked with/for some of those $$$$big name clinicians. Alot if these would be eager to participate and keep the price reasonable for the likely participants. Contact and ask them.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

OP, you might want to mention your general location. You might also want to to step slightly out of the H/J fold and consider an eventing trainer as well. Sometimes a big broader perspective is good.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Greg Best
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

You may want to look into Eric Horgan. He's an eventer, won Punchestown, came in 16th at 1976 Olympics, competed in 1990 WEG... I'm a hunter jumper and have been lucky enough to clinic with him several times. My daughter did her first clinic with him when she was 9/10. He's brilliant, very insightful, humorous, and really knows how to get the best out of every kind of combination. What i love is how easy to understand his instructions are, and how easy to continue working on after the clinic. he was wonderful in my daughter's session. The other girl in the session had a nasty fall and he not only handled that well in terms of calming the girl and her horse but then did a wonderful job helping my daughter re-focus and get past the nerves she had after watching the other girl's fall. I'm an adult ammie who does 3', my DD did short stirrup, and in the clinics I've done there have been 4* eventers, Big Eq kids, High Adult Ammie jumpers, hunters... He's got something for everybody.
    http://www.erichorgan.com/
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Linda Allen. She's very good, and does a lot of exercises with ground poles, that vary in technical difficulty, so your students that aren't jumping high would still get a lot out of it. Plus she is very good at communicating in a positive way.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I have a lot of homework ahead of me!

Findeight, you are correct in that many of the names listed above are a little out of our league. In our area, I just don't know that we'd have enough people sign up for a $400+ weekend to cover our costs. And I know the organization is not willing or able to take that risk.

Mroades...you have an email waiting from me

Thanks again everyone!!!

Again, not knowing where in the south you are, J. Michael Halbleib is at Blackjack Farm in Birmingham.

I always enjoyed working with him. He's a good teacher, has a very sly sense of humor and works with all levels.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

GiantPony,

I'm in the Deep South as well and actually have already spoken with J. Michael. I used to clinic with him regularly as a kid and second everything you said. That, and I just audited GM at Blackjack and cannot say enough good things about the entire Blackjack staff.

Unfortunately, he is unsure if he'll be able to fit in a clinic with his show and judging schedule. I'm hoping it will work out, but am trying to feel out a "Plan B", just in case.

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Geoff Teall, if everyone's prepared to take some things with a grain of salt, as with any clinician. He's a little different stylistically than a lot of trainers in terms of what he focuses on. I also think he can do a very valuable clinic for 2'6-3' riders.
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

OP, where down south are you specifically? Birmingham area? There are a number of good young Pros in the Atlanta and Nashville that would be less expensive to get there (as in they can drive in half a day) as well as less up front for the actual clinic fee.

I like Geoff Teal but he's going to need a plane ticket from South Florida and is going to be at least 400 per head for a weekend clinic to offset costs...plus he's not cheap to start with. Neither are most of the others named.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

findeight...I'm in Louisiana, about an hour North of New Orleans.

I'm stuck with the rock:hard place of having a name that will draw participants, but keeping it economical enough to appeal to the rider on a budget (like myself!). Am I trying to acheive the impossible? Would it be better to bring in an up-and-comer and just see who signs up?