The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face I am seeing Leonard Cohen in concert tomorrow night!

And I am soooooo freakin' excited.

I stumbled upon a Leonard Cohen album (the vinyl kind) in a funky used record store in Northampton MA around 1979-80. Since then he has been more constant in my life than many other people or things -- inspirational, soothing, poignant, humorous. A poet and a gentleman. And I love his face.

I missed seeing him when he came to Seattle a couple of years ago and feared that I had missed my opportunity. When this concert was announced I was taking no chances. I've had my ticket for months. I'm having trouble working instead of googling concert reviews and playing youtube videos.

Any other fans?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Lucky you! I am a fan. "Closing Time" is possibly my favourite song.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Come over to the window my little darlin...

I'm so jealous! Have fun.

I am jealous with jealousy!

Ahhhh, good on you. He's one of my (and Mr. A's) favorites: Canada's poet laureate. (Spice Box of Earth is really good) Saw him two winters ago, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Hard to believe he is 79(?)

He has fans who are really hardcore; I saw at least two people who were wheeled IN on gurneys.

"Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in. "

I've been a fan for a frightening amount of time -I remember doing an essay on Leonard Cohen when I was in highschool.

There is a Cdn singer-songwriter who used to do a lot of topical/humourous songs on CBC radio, Nancy White.
    She had a song, back in the day, about getting older, regrets, opportunities missed.
    One of the lines which has always stuck in my mind, "Leonard Cohen will never carry in my groceries"*

*apologies to Nancy White, I am paraphrasing.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

For those that don't know who he is, here is one of his more interesting songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vKFk...eature=related

My grade 12 Creative Writing teacher showed us the "I Am a Hotel" video. Blew me away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giCKH7QYvuA
    In retrospect, perhaps a bit risque for 17 year olds, but, hey, it was the 80s, and I've been a fan ever since.
    Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    She had a song, back in the day, about getting older, regrets, opportunities missed.
    One of the lines which has always stuck in my mind, "Leonard Cohen will never carry in my groceries"*

but I got to keep him company one night late in a bar just the two of us .... It was after one of his shows, he was staying at the hotel where I bartended back in the 70's. I was just closing up when he came in. He asked if I'd stay a bit just to talk, he didn't want to go back to a lonely room right away. So I made him a drink and one for myself and we sat and talked for about an hour and a few more drinks. Lordy I can't even remember what we talked about. He was very polite, a civil intellectual, very kind and humble. He didn't even tell me who he was. I didn't ask either, I already knew, and he wanted to just be himself.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow - lucky you! I've grown up with Cohen's music and poetry; my parents were fans. I need to see if he's playing anywhere near here and make the trip.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

Cool. There's a couple of new books on him I'm been thinking about buying after reading recent reviews. Would love to see him in person--checking tour now.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Pony Grandma, I'm virtually writhing with envy... this little face is green for a reason! But since I couldn't be in the right place at the right time a couple of decades ago, tonight is the best I can do, and it's pretty darn good. Wonder where he'll be hanging out after THIS concert?

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Original Poster

Just to close the loop... Quite possibly the best concert I've ever attended. Close to 4 hours... new songs plus all my favorites... humor and warmth and passion and honesty and of course masterful POETRY. I could have spent all night/a week/the rest of my life listening to and watching him.

4 members found this post helpful.

How wonderful for you.
    That is the stuff great memories come from.

A bit jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Just to close the loop... Quite possibly the best concert I've ever attended. Close to 4 hours... new songs plus all my favorites... humor and warmth and passion and honesty and of course masterful POETRY. I could have spent all night/a week/the rest of my life listening to and watching him.
    I was wondering how it went.
    Glad you enjoyed it/him.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I was hoping to see him next month in Boston, but I can't afford the second mortgage that the ticket prices would necessitate...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Oh thank you for letting us know. How great ! Yes, the prices of the tickets.....

Original Poster

I am a bit more liberal with these post-40 bucket list concerts: this one, Simon & Garfunkel, Elton John. But yes, the tickets are out of this world. I went alone and managed to do it < $100 so it was better than it could've been!

I like his music sung by others Don't really love his singing voice/style. Blasphemy, I know!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I will also blaspheme. I can't stand Leonard Cohen.

Funny thing is, I like just about everyone else who you like when you like Leonard Cohen. Nick Cave, Alain Bashung, Jacques Brel, Scott Walker, Tim Buckley, etc. But Leonard Cohen has always made me want to leave the room.

And 'Suzanne' might be my least favorite song ever. If you think it's bad in English, you should hear it in French.

As for bucket-list artists, I'm going to see Paul McCartney tomorrow night. We are very excited. I've never seen him at all, and my SO hasn't seen him on stage since 1964 when he saw the Beatles play in Toronto when he was 9 or 10 years old.