The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Favorite breeches to school in?

Hi all...

I know I'm not alone..

I'm addicted to my TS trophy hunter breeches. Over several years I have collected fun colors to school in, because being a short person, I have trouble finding anything else that fits me as well as they do. But, I would like to put something a little less pricey on my Christmas list.

For those of you who also wear & love the trophy hunter, does anything else work for you to school? If so, how does sizing compare?

I looked into the Smart Pak Bradley but didn't like the reviews.

Considering Grand Prix Vegas.. anyone want to weigh in on those? Others?

Thanks!

love the TS trophy hunters. bought some bradleys last week - they didn't fit!
    in the same boat.

I am seriously in love with the discontinued Ariat All Circuit breeches--great technical fabric, wear like iron. They have some left at Dover for mega cheap... get em while they're hot!

1 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE the Ariat All Circuits! But they're no longer made, like tua### said. I *think* I got them a size smaller than the TS's.

I really like my Romf International breeches and they come in several colors. they run small though, so order one size up.

Depending on what size you are Dover has some left:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat%2...wzn2555cirz545

I wear a 28 in TS and a 26 in the All Circuits specifically, the rest of Ariats I don't downsize at all.

I am in love with my Horze active knee patch breeches. They are all of $47 and less when you use one of their many 50% off promo codes. They've worn well so far (probably 15 rides and washes), are very comfortable and have a Euro seat (must-have for me). They are the only breeches I really like besides the TS Trophy. That said, they do run long, but I have heard from people that are less vertically oriented than myself that they are easy to cuff and wear. Definitely order a size down.

The best part comes when people ask what brand they are and you can smile and say Horze I plan to try some of their other breeches soon.

Another vote for horze active knee patch! Not the coolest for the summer but great this time of year!
    For warmer months, i love tuff rider ribbed breeches. I can't kill them!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I also love the TUff Rider ribbed breeches- and I too have short legs. These are SO comfortable, very low cost and quite durable. I love the full-seat version too (originally bought in person at Dover)

http://www.smartpakequine.com/tuff-r...x?cm_vc=Search

talk about enabling, even including the URL... i just ordered a pair of the all circuits!!

(i used it as an opportunity to buy something for my COTH secret santa giftee, figured might shop online at the same time, right?)

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a fan of the low-rise. I'm of a "certain age" where that may not be the most flatttering look, and further, I like my shirttail to stay tucked in. Having said that, I don't like them at my armpits, either. A nice compromise: The Ovation Euroweave DX Celebrity breech. I'm short with a curvy figure (but not overweight) but gals at my barn of all shapes like these. They meet all my tests: mid-rise waist, under $100, fit great, wear like iron, no velcro at the ankle and have useful pockets. I school and show in they; they won't wear out!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/grand-p...re=viewbuyrec/

I absolutely love them! They are light weight, hold up for a long time(have had mine for over 2 yrs) and most of all not overly expensive!

Another vote for the Ovation Euroweaves. Really nice, heavy fabric and very flattering.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonHJ View Post
    I am in love with my Horze active knee patch breeches. They are all of $47 and less when you use one of their many 50% off promo codes. They've worn well so far (probably 15 rides and washes), are very comfortable and have a Euro seat (must-have for me). They are the only breeches I really like besides the TS Trophy. That said, they do run long, but I have heard from people that are less vertically oriented than myself that they are easy to cuff and wear. Definitely order a size down.

The best part comes when people ask what brand they are and you can smile and say Horze I plan to try some of their other breeches soon.

This, I love these things, I'm only 5'2 and they do run long, but they're thin enough(not too thin to be cold in) to make a makeshift cuff by pulling them up and doing the velcro. I won't buy any other schoolers again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Another vote for the Ovation Euroweaves. Really nice, heavy fabric and very flattering.
    I like Ovations too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    This, I love these things, I'm only 5'2 and they do run long, but they're thin enough(not too thin to be cold in) to make a makeshift cuff by pulling them up and doing the velcro. I won't buy any other schoolers again.
    My only qualm with them is that diagonal zip pocket. What is it like in person? Also, can you describe the fabric? Does it feel the TS breech?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    My only qualm with them is that diagonal zip pocket. What is it like in person? Also, can you describe the fabric? Does it feel the TS breech?
    Definitely not the same fabric as any of the TS. Even the "cheap" TS schoolers have a very different feel. These are not a technical fabric at all - they feel more like a fabric that you might wear in non-riding leggings, except thicker. They do have some give but don't tend to stretch out mid-ride (I'm looking at you, Ariats!). I actually really like the pockets and use them more than I use any other zipped pocket. The perfect size for earplugs

This was not a great explanation of what the fabric is like... but it is not like any other breeches I have felt. Not technical but does not feel cheap. My only hesitation was the self knee patch but they have ridden great.

I love schooling in my TuffRiders.
    L.O.V.E Desi. ♥
    ~When In Doubt Half-Halt~
    3 Phases, 2 Hearts, and 1 Goal~ Eventing

I'd say a thick cotton...like the old old style devon aire's. Thick enough that you don't see panty lines, but thin enough that they are easy to move in and they aren't quite a winter breech weight. Agree with them being a steal of a deal!

I like the size of the pocket, fits my Droid RAZR perfectly (although after 30 minutes of power posting I moved it because with every "down" the corner was digging into my leg and starting to really hurt). The zipper is also high quality feeling....I think metal IIRC? Fit me perfectly, but I'm tall, were a bit long on my short friend that bought them with me.

I will say I had to order 2-3 sizes down from my normal size (sold out in mine) and when I first pulled them out of the box I thought no way they would fit. THey actually stretched out nicely without being skin tight and still were flattering/line-less.

I also really adore the tuffrider ribbed for schooling, just tossed another pair into a adams horse supply order to get the free shipping.

For a size guide, I wear a 32 in TS, 34 in Ariat, 30 in tuffrider, and the Horze actives were 28's.

ETA also should say the rust plaid's are really a dark chocolate brown, so I'm assuming the other colors aren't right. Also adding that the knee patches are plain cloth, not suede.

Default On sale and sizing question!

They have Grand Prix Vegas and Hudson breeches on tack of the day today.
    Anyone know how those compare in size to the trophy hunters?
    What is a modified rise? Mid-rise?