The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ROLEX -- Is it worth paying the $200 for the Kentucky Club on XC day?

This will be my first year at Rolex, and I am trying to decide which amenities are worth the extra $$ and which aren't. Does anyone who's paid the $200 for the Kentucky Club on XC day think it was worth it? Or think it wasn't worth it?

TIA!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Seeing as how there are crickets chirping, I think you might be getting your answer

Last year when I was walking around on XC day I looked at the hospitality tent and thought "I am sooo glad I didn't blow my money on THAT". It was faced in such a way that you had limited view of the course, the very few people in there looked unimpressed, and the food looked like it was not on par with the amount of money they were charging.

OTOH, if the weather is inclement you have someplace dry to be (and watch 2 jumps). I guess you have to decide if an insurance policy against rain is worth the $200.

In fact (now that I think of it), the jumbotron was behind the tent so you wouldn't have even be able to enjoy that.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been to Rolex every year since 2008 (save this year....) and with the patron tent in the past, AND with the most recent change last year, I can't say it is worth it. If this is the tent where one gets food, beverages, etc., I recall people saying the view was less than ideal, and often the food was consumed faster than most people could get to it. I've had great luck packing a picnic with fine cheeses, salami, fruit, desserts, and a small bottle of wine to go with it. Weather, schmeather, bring a coat and some waterproof shoes, you'll be fine. Don't waste your money on the food vendors there, nor the tent, save it for shopping!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

TarheelJD is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks, ya'll. I definitely think I got my answer!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    I've been to Rolex every year since 2008 (save this year....) and with the patron tent in the past, AND with the most recent change last year, I can't say it is worth it. If this is the tent where one gets food, beverages, etc., I recall people saying the view was less than ideal, and often the food was consumed faster than most people could get to it. I've had great luck packing a picnic with fine cheeses, salami, fruit, desserts, and a small bottle of wine to go with it. Weather, schmeather, bring a coat and some waterproof shoes, you'll be fine. Don't waste your money on the food vendors there, nor the tent, save it for shopping!
    And where, precisely, will you be at lunchtime?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

If I go again this year, I'd love company! I usually dine alone!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

$200 for a tent?? oh hell no - have you not seen the shopping????

ditto on the great easy to pack in food . I do salami and cheese pita pockets, red peppers and hummus, little wine bottles. Light to carry in and keeps well for a few hrs.

We sat at the Jumbotron in the covered arena and noshed on the shopping days. Several ladies asked us where we got the food. XC day we tailgated.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

TarheelJD is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    And where, precisely, will you be at lunchtime?
    I'm not sure -- but it won't be in a tent that isn't well positioned!

I was never interested in the tent for the food. But I thought if it had good position on the course (and cocktails!) it might be worth it - particularly if the weather end up being yucky.

barnworkbeatshousework - I may be by myself as as well. I'm not sure if a friend of mine will be coming or not, and my husband never misses either weekend of the Jazz Fest in NOLA, so he'll never make Rolex (NOLA Jazz Fest is always the last weekend in April and the first weekend in May).