The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    So you're fine with the n-word, dyke, ...
    EXCUSE me! I spent a fabulous 2 week vacation with an old friend (as in we met in 1976!), who has been openly lesbo since ... well, even then.
    I've had close family members who were gay, lesbian, bi, whichever since ... forever.

Point IS: I went to the annual Gay Pride Parade in SF 2 years ago. Even my les friend proudly pointed out to me the Dykes On Bikes contingent (we saw them heading into SF, on a return trip from somewhere)

Just sayin'

EDITED To Add ~ I have Autism, ADD, ADHD, not too mention many "looney" disorders in my family.
    As I am "looney-looney-LOONEY" myself, I happily embrace all words:
    AND ... I'd much RATHER know a person who printed the word "retard" or "she's NUTS", than I would these MORONS who so proudly cherish **there ignorance. YAY! ltss al b prod of nu selin cuz itz gud!!

*It's THAN *not* then!!
    **It's THEIR! NOT 'there', you fugging IDIOTS!!

BTW; you CLOSED-MINDED (______S!) Take your Word-Nazism, and stick it in (________!)
    ***There're those who disagree with you.

The point IS this; a +* fundamental truth:
    "YOUR Beliefs/Faith/Opinion Do NOT (Always) Equal MY Reality!"
    Period. End of statement.

***There're those who who are MORONS, because they'd (they-would) rather spend THEIR lives texting THEIR peoples about (STUPID and WORTHLESS things), instead of learning.

SNORT!!
    The Zombies? They're (they ARE) already here.
    Last edited by nasalberry; Nov. 8, 2012 at 02:02 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
    v.tr.To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede. Set back.

v.intr.To be delayed.

n.1. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
    2. Music A slackening of tempo

n. Offensive Slang
    1. Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
    2. A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.

When I use this word, I use it to mean something backwards or delayed.
    I personally have "retarded the timing" on my distributor cap way back when I would tune-up my own car. I have no intentions of deleting a perfectly good, valid, word from my vocabulary because some perceive it to mean only one thing.

You do notice, however, that that perfectly good word, when used in the OP's context is considered to be offensive slang. Did you miss that part?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Not to be rude, but having worked with the developmentally disabled, the title of your post really really annoys me...As far as Florida goes, there are many forms of attempted voter suppression that are happening in your state and have been for quite some time. This plus technical glitches are partly to blame for the reason that your state is a mess every election.
    Agree. The use of the term "retarded" is really in poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I am sorry for those of you that have mentally challenged siblings, children, or work in that field that you are SO up tight about words. You are just as bad, because when people use the word retarded you automatically think of a mentally challenged person and not something that does not work right as per the above poster to quoted the dictionary.

The elections system in FL does not work right, thus its retarded.

I cant wait till the close off topic day.
    Bless your heart. My friends and loved ones don't need any of your faux sympathy.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

6 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

EXCUSE me! I spent a fabulous 2 week vacation with an old friend (as in we met in 1976!), who has been openly lesbo since ... well, even then.
    I've had close family members who were gay, lesbian, bi, whichever since ... forever.

Point IS: I went to the annual Gay Pride Parade in SF 2 years ago. Even my les friend proudly pointed out to me the Dykes On Bikes contingent (we saw them heading into SF, on a return trip from somewhere)

Just sayin'

EDITED To Add ~ I have Autism, ADD, ADHD, not too mention many "looney" disorders in my family.
    AND ... I'd much RATHER know a person who printed the word "retard" or "she's NUTS", than I would these MORONS who so proudly cherish **their ignorance. YAY! ltss al b prod of nu selin cuz itz gud!!

*It's THAN *not* then!!
    **It's THEIR NOT 'there', you fugging IDIOTS!!

BTW; you CLOSED-MINDED (______S!) Take your Word-Nazism, and stick it in (________!) ***There're those who disagree with you.

***There're those who who are MORONS, because they'd (they-would) rather spend THEIR lives texting THEIR peoples about (STUPID and WORTHLESS things), instead of learning.

SNORT!!
    Wow, just wow.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am sorry for those of you that have mentally challenged siblings, children, or work in that field that you are SO up tight about words. You are just as bad, because when people use the word retarded you automatically think of a mentally challenged person and not something that does not work right as per the above poster to quoted the dictionary.
    I cannot believe you just wrote that. Or that you believe it.

It's truly saddening.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.

Just sayin'

AND ... I'd much RATHER know a person who printed the word "retard" or "she's NUTS", than I would these MORONS who so proudly cherish **there ignorance. YAY! ltss al b prod of nu selin cuz itz gud!!

*It's THAN *not* then!!

BTW; you CLOSED-MINDED (______S!) Take your Word-Nazism, and stick it in (________!)

SNORT!!

Allllllllllrighty then.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just sayin'

*It's THAN *not* then!!

SNORT!!
    You are missing the point.

The key word there is that YOU are co-opting the words and taking it back and applying it to yourself and thus nullifying the meaning for yourself.

You are not having it inflicted upon you by others.

Therein lies the key difference.

Similar to gays and lesbians co-opting and taking back gay and queer and other such terms to apply themselves in an empowering manner.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

5 members found this post helpful.

The words; wetback, slut, spic, etc. do not have any other means and ARE derogatory, because they are purposefully hurtful.
    So does it matter AT ALL to you when people with developmental disabilities tell you that the word "retarded" as it is used in the thread title is HURTFUL to those with developmental disabilities? Or is it okay to use it anyway because you don't MEAN it to be?

LOL LOL. Your state is backward! One of us (we are 2 warmbloods) lived down there for a year in Alachua.

It would be funny but for the hanging chads and all in 2000 that kept Al Gore from becoming president. Yes, one of us lived down there then. And if Al Gore had become president, we'd not be so bad off in the USA as we are now. The recession is world wide, but Bush and his group were adding insult to injury to this economy. We didn't need his wars. And didn't Bush declare victory years ago? So why are we still fighting in the middle east? Oh wait, it is because Bush "served" in the national guard in Alabama when he was physically in Texas.

Not only is your state "retarded" which is not a term a lot of people like today, but George Bush either was, or else all the alcohol he consumed as a youth changed his brain to sponge foam.

Your state makes our state look good in comparison. Thank you Frizzle.

And thanks for offering those soft-ride inserts to the cother whose horse needed them. You are not representative of your state, thank goodness!
    Last edited by WildandWickedWarmbloods; Nov. 8, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

The words; wetback, slut, spic, etc. do not have any other means and ARE derogatory, because they are purposefully hurtful. Do I use these words on a daily bases, no. Actually, I cant remember the last time I used the word spic, and I am not sure if I ever have to be honest.
    Yet when others say that "retarded" used in many contexts is hurtful, oh well?

And you know, *nigger* was originally a neutral term, a slang of negro, or black.

But decent people stopped using it when they were informed it was hurtful, even when told it made them appear "uptight".

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You do notice, however, that that perfectly good word, when used in the OP's context is considered to be offensive slang. Did you miss that part?
    No, I didn't.

I am merely going off on this IRRATIONAL Nazism on words.
    They're F---ing WORDS!!!

I am not for going about "calling Mentally/Challenged/Handicapped(capable)/*OR* All-Of-Those-People-Ronald-McReagan turned loose on the streets, to become what is now referred to as: HOMELESS, ANY sort of nasty, derogative names!"

People will USE SLANG. It IS our American RIGHT to use it!

What "IF" we as (younger-to-older) peoples were castigated THIS much (on this thread/in today's PC climate) when we all used words such as :
    "Right On! You C--ks----r! You C---! F--- The PIGS! F--- Nixon! One-eyed Trouser Mouse, Gnarly, Dude! Let's ROCK (Let's Roll), BITCHEN'! I'm Rick James, BIOTCH!! You HO'! You mah Biotch! MuhFuh! etc, etc."

- I'll add some more later: feel free to add your own!

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh I just got my first thumbs down! Go me!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Wow we have a lot of haters online this morning..... Maybe now I will keep posting just to see how many thumbs down I can get. :-)
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

1 members found this post helpful.

Again I will state that I am the mother of a child with physical, mental, and cognitive delays.

I have absolutely NO problem with the word retarded being used correctly, but I in no way, shape, or form believe for a second that the OP intended for the word, in this case, to mean "developing more slowly than the norm". It was intended to convey stupidity, and that is what is offensive.

There are plenty of other words out there that are perfectly legitimate, but I don't use them. Why? Because they can be hurtful to others based upon their past misuse.

What this country needs is a little sensitivity and common sense.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

6 members found this post helpful.

AMEN. And it is the God-given right of every red-blooded American to be a "C--ks----r" or a "C---," as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBay View Post
    Oh I just got my first thumbs down! Go me!
    Haven't been posting in the political threads much, huh? I racked 'em up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Allllllllllrighty then.
    Thank you!

No, I didn't.

I am merely going off on this IRRATIONAL Nazism on words.
    They're F---ing WORDS!!!

I am not for going about "calling Mentally/Challenged/Handicapped(capable)/*OR* All-Of-Those-People-Ronald-McReagan turned loose on the streets, to become what is now referred to as: HOMELESS, ANY sort of nasty, derogative names!"

What "IF" we as (younger-to-older) peoples were castigated THIS much (on this thread/in today's PC climate) when we all used words such as :
    "Right On! You C--ks----r! You C---! F--- The PIGS! F--- Nixon! One-eyed Trouser Mouse, Gnarly, Dude! Let's ROCK (Let's Roll), BITCHEN'! I'm Rick James, BIOTCH!! You HO'! You mah Biotch! MuhFuh! etc, etc."

- I'll add some more later: feel free to add your own!

You can use it, but I'm flabbergasted that you don't care that many people find it offensive.

Yes, it is your American right to offend people if you want, so have at it. Count me offended.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm offended by everyone that gets offended by the use of a word that they don't like. And expect me to learn a whole bunch of new terms so they feel better. So now what?

Nobody called any person a retard. And guess what. A rose by any other name. All these PC words mean the same as the original words anyway. It doesn't change anything. This stuff is out of hand.