The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As the mother of a child with cerebral palsy, I too find misuse of retarded to be offensive. My child may be delayed, but she is in no way stupid.

http://www.r-word.org/
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't know enough about the American electoral system to comment on the subject at hand, but your use of the word retarded offended me as well. Here is an open letter written by a Special Olympian to Ann Coulter, after she called President Obama retarded. Very effectively sums the situation up in my mind!

http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress...o-ann-coulter/

Dear Ann Coulter,

Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren’t dumb and you aren’t shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult?

I’m a 30 year old man with Down syndrome who has struggled with the public’s perception that an intellectual disability means that I am dumb and shallow. I am not either of those things, but I do process information more slowly than the rest of you. In fact it has taken me all day to figure out how to respond to your use of the R-word last night.

I thought first of asking whether you meant to describe the President as someone who was bullied as a child by people like you, but rose above it to find a way to succeed in life as many of my fellow Special Olympians have.

Then I wondered if you meant to describe him as someone who has to struggle to be thoughtful about everything he says, as everyone else races from one snarkey sound bite to the next.

Finally, I wondered if you meant to degrade him as someone who is likely to receive bad health care, live in low grade housing with very little income and still manages to see life as a wonderful gift.

Because, Ms. Coulter, that is who we are – and much, much more.

After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the President by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV.

I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash.

Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.

No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much.

Come join us someday at Special Olympics. See if you can walk away with your heart unchanged.

A friend you haven’t made yet,
    John Franklin Stephens
    Global Messenger
    Special Olympics Virginia

7 members found this post helpful.

I can't figure out how to edit the title of a thread, maybe the OP can't either.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

General Service Announcement (FWIW)
    To edit the TITLE of a thread, you go to edit, then go advanced. That is where you are able to edit the title...
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    can't believe someone would so blatantly use this word, and can't believe people are down voting those who are trying to explain why it's so offensive. come work in my job for a few days and you'll understand it. how heartless some people are.
    Agreed. I was shocked that people were downvoting others who spoke out against the use of it.

http://nolafemmes.com/2012/02/23/litupparade/ - words like this do legitimately hurt people.

To get back on the original topic, yes, the system is flawed. But so was your logic in using the R word to describe it (and so are the people who downvoted those who are against the use of it)

3 members found this post helpful.

Default FWIW ~

v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
    v.tr.To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede. Set back.

v.intr.To be delayed.

n.1. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
    2. Music A slackening of tempo

n. Offensive Slang
    1. Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
    2. A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.

When I use this word, I use it to mean something backwards or delayed.
    I personally have "retarded the timing" on my distributor cap way back when I would tune-up my own car. I have no intentions of deleting a perfectly good, valid, word from my vocabulary because some perceive it to mean only one thing.

I'll gladly take all the thumbs down if it makes just one person stop and think better of it before calling my CP/Autistic nephew a retard. I'll take the thumbing if it keeps my sister from feeling the pain of just one person using it crassly around her without thought.

*shrug*. No skin off my back.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Nice.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Canada sends "observers" to elections in Haiti and other third world countries and we were wondering if they should go to Florida next election!

My gosh, I have never ever had to wait at all for any election. None. Ever. And 5 pages front and back??? I would not trust any question on the last pages to be answered with any thought. Just get it done...

I feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    As the mother of a child who has some developmental delays I want to help you understand why the word retarded is so offensive to some of us.

Here is quite an interesting and topical thread
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/syndrome-at...4#.UJvHboZy7dg

Mental retardation is still an active definition
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_retardation

The problem with using the word is that you are using it in an insulting manner. You are using the word "retard!" in an attempt to be offensive, to describe something as less than perfect. Mental retardation is a real and valid definition of a person. A person that has difficulties and intellectual challenges, a person that didn't choose to be any different from you or me and has no control over the label given to them.

I know these days that there is an over sensitivity to a lot of political correctness, but this really is one that is offensive to many people.
    I think you may have misunderstood my post or that I worded it awkwardly. Just to make to myself clear, I agree with you that the word "retarded," as it is used in the thread title is offensive--we are on the same page!

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post

v.intr.To be delayed.

n. Offensive Slang

I personally have "retarded the timing" on my distributor cap way back when I would tune-up my own car. I have no intentions of deleting a perfectly good, valid, word from my vocabulary because some perceive it to mean only one thing.

Um, I think we all know that the OP did not use the term "retarded" in the same . . . semantically valid . . . way that you did in reference to the timing on your distributor cap.

And you'll notice that the number 2 "valid" definition that you bolded is characterized by your own source as "OFFENSIVE slang."

6 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=callidorre;6657924]I work with individuals with mental disabilities/developmental disabilities/ mental retardation/whatever term you want to use. Using "retarded" when you mean something is stupid, is the same to me as using the word "gay" to mean stupid/wrong. It really bugs me when people do it, and I do think it's derogatory. The reason people start using other terms is to get away from that derogatory influence. We even having trainings at work specifically on terminology in the past and present. And the term mental retardation is still used (though not as much). The field I work in is classified as MH/MR which is mental health/mental retardation.
    QUOTE]

YES! I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Um, I think we all know that the OP did not use the term "retarded" in the same . . . semantically valid . . . way that you did in reference to the timing on your distributor cap.

And you'll notice that the number 2 "valid" definition that you bolded is characterized by your own source as "OFFENSIVE slang."
    I took it to mean that she thinks her state is backwards/going in the reverse of everyone else.

Personally, I find it amusing the same people who go into hysterics over the use of the word retarded have no problem whatsoever with calling those with mental/emotional issues "crazy", "off their meds", "Fruitbat", etc.

I support equal opportunity for lunatics.

So, are we never, ever again allowed to use the words "idiotic", "stupid", "moronic", "dumb", insane?
    And start saying such BS as "That notion/idea/thought has less than stellar intelligence and is of questionable stability in the mental/emotion dept??"

and this is why American cannot move forward. Because people get SO offended by words. My grandmother used to say OH BIRDS! when she meant to say OH $H!T. The intent is still there, whether the OP used retarded, backwards, or whatever
    Is it really necessary to get your feathers all ruffled up over WORDS?

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will never hurt me. Do you remember this as a child?

And yes, my sister is some one that would be called retarded and NO I do not take offence to the word, just like I dont take offence to cracker (I am white) or Ma'me (I am a Northerner living in the South, and we all know Ma'me in the NE means bitch)

The OP got your attention by using a word that is not 'pc' well, may be we would all be better off if we let some of these 'pc' terms go.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post

v.intr.To be delayed.

n. Offensive Slang

SERIOUSLY! Florida voting is NOT developmentally disabled. It's totally retarded. In the most offensive intent of the word.

Calling it developmentally disabled would be insulting.

8 members found this post helpful.

And I thought after the movie "The Hangover" the word retard was ok again? I personally put a pause in between the "re" and the "tard".

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    and this is why American cannot move forward. Because people get SO offended by words. My grandmother used to say OH BIRDS! when she meant to say OH $H!T. The intent is still there, whether the OP used retarded, backwards, or whatever
    So you're fine with the n-word, dyke, 'spic, wetback, etc. I mean they're just WORDS, right?

If there's a legitimate reason why "America cannot move forward," it must have a lot to do with insensitive jerks. No offense. It's just a WORD.

And another thing--the "oh birds/shit" analogy is absurd. "Shit" is not a word that denigrates a group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will never hurt me. Do you remember this as a child?

And yes, my sister is some one that would be called retarded and NO I do not take offence to the word, just like I dont take offence to cracker (I am white) or Ma'me (I am a Northerner living in the South, and we all know Ma'me in the NE means bitch)

The OP got your attention by using a word that is not 'pc' well, may be we would all be better off if we let some of these 'pc' terms go.
    Oh I love it.

People getting all riled up over the "pc police."

You know what I hear when you make that argument?

Boo-hoo! People are actually making me comply to standards of basic human decency and I don't like it!

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me is such a load of hogwash.

Words do hurt. Words do have power. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

The OP messed up and people are calling her on it and rightfully so.

You know why Americans cannot move forward?

Because of thinking like you and the OP. Because of the lack of understanding and compassion and basic-level human decency shown by those defending the OP in this thread.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

9 members found this post helpful.

I am compassionate. You don't know jack about me.

But getting your feathers all in a ruffle over words does not allow us to address the issue at hand, which in this case is the horrible voting process in Fl. Over half of the posts on this thread are about how insensitive the OP is for using the a word.

The words; wetback, slut, spic, etc. do not have any other means and ARE derogatory, because they are purposefully hurtful. Do I use these words on a daily bases, no. Actually, I cant remember the last time I used the word spic, and I am not sure if I ever have to be honest.

The word gay means happy, but if I use it in a sentence, "I am gay" are you are going to think that I am homosexual?

I am sorry for those of you that have mentally challenged siblings, children, or work in that field that you are SO up tight about words. You are just as bad, because when people use the word retarded you automatically think of a mentally challenged person and not something that does not work right as per the above poster to quoted the dictionary.

The elections system in FL does not work right, thus its retarded.

I cant wait till the close off topic day.