The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gas stove (and landlord) driving me crazy. Help?

When I moved into the apt, the gas stove made a "clicking" noise (presumably from pilot light) every 5 minutes, round the clock, that could be heard throughout the apartment. Most of the burners also refused to light or would take a very long time (30+ seconds), though you could smell the gas being released. It took 5 visits over a month and a half for Maintenance to get the noise to stop (on 2 visits, they found nothing wrong). I didn't use the stove that whole time. Now, the clicking noise has at least stopped when the stove is off.

The problem now is that each of the burners has a different point on the dial (not where it's marked "Light") where it ignites. I can also only use the stove at high heat. At low to medium heat, the pilot light continues to ignite and make a loud, rapid (couple clicks per second) clicking sound that won't stop unless you turn the heat to high. So I called Maintenance this morning, described the problem briefly and asked them to call me back. I'd like to schedule a time for them to fix it when I'm home so I can show them what I think is wrong, or so they can tell me I'm an idiot and show me how to properly use the stove (shrug). Of course, they didn't call me back, but when I got home there was a note stating that they smelled gas but all the burners are OK.

I've never had these kinds of problems with gas stoves before, and I've used many over the years. This stove is driving me crazy and I'm probably driving Maintenance crazy as well. It would help if I could get someone to actually answer my calls so we can have a dialogue but they seem to be taking the passive-aggressive route in just sending Maintenance while I'm at work--unscheduled and sometimes taking over a week to do so. Does anyone know if I can easily fix the stove myself? Should I threaten the landlord that I'll call the Fire Department and report the stove as a fire hazard that they can get fined over?

Sorry for the long boring rant.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Found this-
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7477163_clea...lot-light.html

Another thing you could try is to shut off gas to it, and hold a blow dryer on the ignitor for about 3 or 4 minutes. Sometimes if something spills over, and moisture gets into the electronic ignitor, it'll keep making the clicking noise.

Print out the Ehow article, and tell maint that you want it fixed, and if they can't do it, you want them to call a lic appliance repair company.

I don't have a gas stove but used to a long time ago the clicking should not be happening. Did the maintainance guy say he smelled gas even if it's off? I wouldn't let it go and I would definitely make it clear to the landlord that this stove is not safe so he can either fix/replace it in a timely manner when you are around or you will have someone come in to fix or replace it yourself and take the money out of next months rent. I'm not certain of the laws there but the landlord should have taken care of that immediately, not only does it sound annoying and unsafe but you are paying for a place to live that should include a properly working stove! Not sure I'm much help there but it's what I would do. Good luck!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

If there is a gas smell around it then call the gas company. They have sniffer devices, and if it's leaking they'll turn the gas off and require the landlord to repair it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMet View Post
    IDid the maintainance guy say he smelled gas even if it's off?
    The maintenance guy just left a note stating, "Smelled gas. Burners working OK." Management and maintenance (which I think might actually be contracted out) are off-site. I can't get them on the phone to get into further detail

As far as I can tell, there's only a gas smell after you try to use the stove, because it takes so long (10-30 seconds) for the gas to ignite. It's crazy that I have to keep the windows open during and after cooking with winter coming.

Just bought a CO monitor. Hasn't gone off yet!
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

What happens if you disconnect the pilot light and light it manually?

You're renting. The appliances should be working correctly.

This is not only ridiculous but potentially dangerous.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

Call the company that provides your gas. They'll come out promptly and make sure nothing dangerous is going on. Just call the 800 number and tell them you smell gas. IF they find something not cool, you'll then have that to go to the landlord with. Gas folks may be able to suggest resources to force repair/replace too. Our National Grid gas people are great, don't love the electricity side of the company, but the gas people have been very helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.