The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Venice turpentine vs. durasole vs...

Ideas for helping transition a horse to barefoot?

Tender, but not too sore. Would like to help toughen up his feet before the ground freezes. Generally, in time he does well (usually once its time for a second trim he's fine) however I think the ground will start to freeze before then!

Currently using durasole followed a few hours later by VT. 4x per week. Sound reasonable?

Also, accidently painted over one of his frogs with the VT. Assuming it will be ok as long as I dont repeat this? (oops!)
    Last edited by SquishTheBunny; Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

I think you are overdoing it with both Durasole and VT a few hours later at 4X per week. You can tend to cause the sole to become too tough and or thick, or both as it is supposed to be able to shed/be trimmed. I would just use the Venice Turpentine and only do it at most 3 x a week. The frog should be fine but definitely do only paint the soles.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Agree with previous poster that you don't need both. I had great success with Durasole and highly recommend it. I used it on my TB/Percheron cross when we pulled his shoes and transitioned him to barefoot. He wore easyboots during the day when he was turned out (for the first couple of weeks), then when he came into the stall/paddock at night I pulled the boots off, painted durasole on his soles and let him be. He never had a problem and his feet ended up looking beautiful and staying strong.

Plus, Durasole is so much easier to work with than Venice Turpentine! (If you don't mind a few purple spots along the way.)
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

Durasole! You can apply several times a day, if once isn't enough. Even several times in a row, as long as you have a heat gun or blow dryer or something similar on hand to dry it between applications.

When I have a horse with sore feets, I will often pick feet, brush with stainless brush, apply durasole, groom the rest of the horse, apply durasole, do whatever other chores I have, apply durasole...

Really, zero need to hassle with venice turpentine.

I happen to have venice turpentine and painted in on several times a week to get the desired results.

i found VT to be a real PITA. sticky and messy. Durasole would be much easier to aply. I have had good luck with Keratex hoof hardener.

Thanks for all the replies. I ran out of Durasole and to be honest didnt see any improvement with it. I stopped the VT as well, and started the Keratex Hoof Hardener. So far after 2 days of the Keratex he is looking great!

1 members found this post helpful.

I've used Durasole and love it for thin soles, but for soft soles, I prefer Keratex Hoof Hardener. Farrier's recommendation also.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I was doing the same thing until Tom set me straight. If you use both, you're not helping. VT is more for soothing and bringing out out heat or pain on more acute soreness. Durasole is used to thicken the sole. Tom can explain why it's not good to use both at the same time.

Just use Durasole to thicken soles. If he's sore from a little hard ground, use VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I was doing the same thing until Tom set me straight. If you use both, you're not helping. VT is more for soothing and bringing out out heat or pain on more acute soreness. Durasole is used to thicken the sole. Tom can explain why it's not good to use both at the same time.

Just use Durasole to thicken soles. If he's sore from a little hard ground, use VT.
    He doesnt have thin soles, (but my other guy does, too bad I ran out of Durasole!) he's sensitive because he is used to 4 shoes and he is now barefoot. He only shows tenderness either taking a sharp turn or walking over rocks. The VT I had was about 10 years old, so I replaced it with the keratex hoof hardner. He is feeling much better and will walk over the stones no problem.

Venice turpentine will likely prevent Durasole from penetrating as well as it does.

Venice Turpentine is a desiccant - it dries the horn, making it seem harder because it is dry.

Durasole chemically cross-links with the horn and hardens it. In order for that to happen, it has to be able to get into the horn cells. If the cells are already coated with something else, you're just wasting your money.

1 members found this post helpful.