The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am having too much fun at the TB Only shows...

Now don't get me wrong I love showing, but for the lower amount of money and the ability to not miss as much of my real job I say it's worth more than an A show that I barely can compete at with the show calendars.

I believe that we're going to see this new type of show, and the flood of entries with it, will be (hopefully) exploding onto the show scene.

Admittedly part of the problem is the fact I am a pro with a M-F 8-4 job without vacations or paid sick days. I can't compete on Thursdays or Fridays. Period.

Now additionally I am a HUGE proponent of the OTTB. I like the local unrecognized shows as well, but the value of the TB shows is really huge. Not to mention the camaraderie we have seen at these competitions. It's like people really feel accepted with their Tb's and are relieved that they're not having to stand ringside facing a lower placing against wb's that cost a solid 6 figures.

I would encourage more TB owners to come out to these shows. You're not going to be hit with fee upon fee and you will hear folks talking about pedigrees, race records and how they changed their awful race name to a much classier show name!

The TB celebration shows in Lexington, Va are great and some others are coming up and starting to be very well run also. In 2013 I hope to be able to do more than 4 TB shows. I know my students love them and are encouraged by the cheering from actual fans in the stands!

Ok so that's all I have. I just want to promote this fabulous idea to all TB owners. And if you don't own a TB, well they're pretty easy to find!! Go get one and come on out!!!

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

10 members found this post helpful.

Hi Emily

There aren't any all TB shows in my area, but some of the shows around have at least offered TIP sponsored classes. I did the 2'9" hunter division at the Skidmore classic and had a ball. With the great prize money, I won almost all my entries $$ back and got to show at an AA show in a gorgeous setting on the grounds of the country's premier TB racetrack. Now I can say my mare is a money winner at Saratoga!
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

2 members found this post helpful.

ET

That's totally AWESOME!!! So glad you had fun. I won a TIP class a few weeks ago and the rumor is that I have a check coming in the mail. I'll believe it when I see it. :-)

The TIP program is pretty cool and I hope the funding stays for it.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

They have announced it will be funded for next year and they have just started taking applications for shows: http://tjctip.com/

Convince your favorite shows to apply!

ET

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have a possibly dumb question. I have a 3 y.o. unregistered TB, the offspring of two JC registered TB's. Obviously, no tattoo. It looks like the TIP shows require a tattoo or JC registry. What are my options, short of spending several thousand dollars to register him with the JC? I saw something in the TIP website about DNA typing, which is more affordable than the registration. I realize the rules may be different for the various TB show groups.

Pedigree of horse in question: http://www.pedigreequery.com/asf+skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I have a possibly dumb question. I have a 3 y.o. unregistered TB, the offspring of two JC registered TB's. Obviously, no tattoo. It looks like the TIP shows require a tattoo or JC registry. What are my options, short of spending several thousand dollars to register him with the JC? I saw something in the TIP website about DNA typing, which is more affordable than the registration. I realize the rules may be different for the various TB show groups.

This is my problem too. I have an unregistered TB and I would love to show him, but he has no tattoo and therefore, he is not eligible to be shown at these shows. In addition, of course, he was never raced, so thus no OT in my TB.

I would LOVE to go to one of these shows...but I'm a country away!!! I just keep hoping for one to pop up here on the West Coast.

3 members found this post helpful.

We need these over in the NW!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    I would LOVE to go to one of these shows...but I'm a country away!!! I just keep hoping for one to pop up here on the West Coast.
    They have some classes at some shows. In addition I think that Duncan McIntosh runs some TB-only shows or TB and friends shows at Hansen Dam in the San Fernando Valley. Got to get mine started under saddle first.

I went to a TB and half TB show with TIP classes. It was a wonderful event and people had a great time. My horse is half TB, and I had a great time and would definitely do it again. I highly recommend to other people. Good idea to request the TIP classes at other shows, I'll see how to do so with some of the local associations.

Peggy/LoveJubal. I have a mare with no tattoo and no papers that I would LOVE to bring...but unfortunately cannot since I don't have her records.

If you have the horses lineage, you can ask them about allowing you to compete in the non-TIP shows? But I honestly don't know. Similar to any other breed show like AQHA/APHA/Pinto you do need to be able to "prove" that your horse is of that breed.

Emily-The friend that was at the show with me and I have been nominated to the BOD for one of our local circuits. We are trying to do some TB only classes and get them nominated as qualifiers for the TB shows.

I will say, I had an absolute blast, even if we were an epic failure as far as my husband goes (he commented I had a very expensive coffee mug and hat without any pretty ribbons!).

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoAmor View Post
    We need these over in the NW!!
    I'm in the same area and I SO AGREE!!!! We have quite a few OTTBs at our barn and I know a lot of people that are at other barns who would also be happy to have them!
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Do you have the JC names of the parents? I can't find either in Equibase.

I have to say I was hooked after my first show. I have been going to the TB Celebration since November of 2010 and haven't missed one yet and have no plans to miss any period! You most definitely wont experience an atmosphere like these shows. I've been to many shows and actually started to get burnt out because they weren't fun. People couldn't relate to you, the love of the OTTB, and the amount of work put into these beautiful horses!

The competition is definitely fierce but you will find everyone competing against you cheering for you as well. I definitely encourage everyone to go to one! I definitely plan to make it to the ones in MD next year!

And for those far away, we had a group come all the way from Canada!! Its not every show you meet a BUNCH of people just like you, free food, awesome prizes, and a show dedicated to promoting a breed!
    Forrest Gump, 14, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 26, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

They have some classes at some shows. In addition I think that Duncan McIntosh runs some TB-only shows or TB and friends shows at Hansen Dam in the San Fernando Valley. Got to get mine started under saddle first.
    Unfortunately, I'm in Nor Cal - and an easy 10 hours away from there!

I'm hoping to get to a couple of these next year. If I make it to the Totally TB show at Pimlico (assuming they have it again next year) I will be happy! These are going to be such a hit that I hope more pop up. The horses and their wonderful owners deserve it!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Do you have the JC names of the parents? I can't find either in Equibase.
    There are some inconsistencies in the spacing and punctuation of the prefix initials from horse to horse and equibase vs pedigree query. So, sometimes A S F, sometimes A.S.F, sometimes ASF. I did the last one when I entered in into pedigree query since that's what the other ones there were and I was too lazy to go through correcting it.

Sire: http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

Dam: http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

I suspect that they registered the breeding stock but not all of the offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by ET's Home View Post
    Hi Emily

There aren't any all TB shows in my area, but some of the shows around have at least offered TIP sponsored classes. I did the 2'9" hunter division at the Skidmore classic and had a ball. With the great prize money, I won almost all my entries $$ back and got to show at an AA show in a gorgeous setting on the grounds of the country's premier TB racetrack. Now I can say my mare is a money winner at Saratoga!
    The 1st annual Thoroughbred Renaissance Show was held at The Stockade in September. I was a volunteer. Loads of fantastic prizes. In fact, I was with the organizer at Skidmore one day to watch the TBs, and we were passing along information. Sorry to have missed you.

Hoping my OTTB will be ready for showing this coming year - if so, we'll probably be doing all TB shows, or shows/events where they are recognized.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    The 1st annual Thoroughbred Renaissance Show was held at The Stockade in September. I was a volunteer. Loads of fantastic prizes. In fact, I was with the organizer at Skidmore one day to watch the TBs, and we were passing along information. Sorry to have missed you.

Hoping my OTTB will be ready for showing this coming year - if so, we'll probably be doing all TB shows, or shows/events where they are recognized.
    Wow, I am sorry I missed that. I took a look at the prize list from August and it looked like a great time! Please let me know if they end up doing this show again.

ET

Oops - you're right - I mean August!
    Will definintely let you know for next year!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes