The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Vans (as opposed to truck & trailer)

What are the pros/cons of horse vans (as opposed to individual truck and trailer)?

Do you know the general cost of one of these?
    http://www.frankdibella.com/vans_search

(I realized there is a HUGE range)

How difficult is it to get insurance, find someone to do repairs/replace parts, etc?

At first glance, they seem like a great all-in-one solution! Thoughts?

This vehicle could only be used for one purpose - hauling horses. If you have a truck and trailer, then the truck can be used for lots of other purposes.

You have to pay insurance and registration (commercial - based on gross weight), 6 HD tires, maintenance on a vehicle that doesn't do anything except move horses. They are VERY expensive. In some cases you will need a CDL license to drive it!! They are high off the ground and most woman can't handle the heavy ramp that stores at chest level under the floor of the truck. Ask me how I know!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Another thing...because they are high off the ground....I don't think the horses ride as comfortably as a low to the ground trailer.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I drove for a commercial horse shipper for a few years. The big vans actually ride really well for the horses, way better then most horse trailers because of the air ride suspension. Most showgrounds and fair grounds have loading "chutes" or van ramps so you use a short board most of the time, not the long board. If you are average physical ability, average height, etc. the long boards aren't that bad. But you do have to keep them greased up so they slide properly. For the smaller vans (3 horse) you do NOT need a commercial license. For the 6 horse vans it will depend on your state from what I understand. I only had to have a medical card, not a commercial license to drive the 6 horses. I did end up getting my commercial license so I could drive the bigger vans, but it was actually not hard to pass at all. You can get a study guide from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

They do have to be specially maintained, and it's (but not expensive IIRC). They can haul a lot of hay and fence boards (16' doesn't fit on my truck, but did fit in the van!).

Sheila
    Last edited by Chestnut Run; Nov. 8, 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammar
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

2 members found this post helpful.

Lusted after then saw the price. Price = small house ~ $140,000
    thus ended the possibility and the move into "when I have millions I would..."

I've inquired about Frank Dibella's vans before, and the used vans in the 10 to 20 year old range run about $30,000. I think it varies with the mileage on the van, etc. I've been looking for a van for years, and many of the ones I've seen are in the $2,000 to $3,000 range, but those are tending to be closer to 30 to 40 years old. I have my eye on a local van for sale that is only 10 years old, low miles, auto transmission, diesel, air ride, low to the ground, and $30k. Of course, I don't have $30k.

You can find a 1970's, abused manual 2-4 horse vans floating around under 10k occasionally- but its a complete gamble whether you can fix it up, how much it will cost, and how long before it needs a part you can't get.

Less old, less abused seems to run 30-40k. New with auto trans, air conditioning, etc. will run you much more.

I like these: http://www.theault-america.com/us/morpheus/

I like these: http://www.theault-america.com/us/morpheus/[/QUOTE]

Have you ever tried to carry your tack up or down those steps>> have you been in one and tried to figure how you would work w/ you horse and realize if you need to get to horse #1 you have to unload #2...nope Frank's Imperatore 3 horse used for the bucks is a way safer sounder vehicle...

I was in the Theault at Gladstone, but it was just an empty display model. I have never seen the 3 horse Imperatore, but it looks lovely.

Horse vans are an interesting idea but not practical for most horse owners.

Cost wise, you can do a bit better than the prices noted by going to Truckpaper.com and loocking at Expeditor/Hotshot trucks under the Medium Duty section. These are not set up for horse hauling, but could be modified for a reasonable sum. They are reasonably late model and mileage will be in the 300,000 range. This is not excessive for this type of truck and leaves a lot of useful life for a private owner.

Medium duty delivery vehicles are a bit less but can also be converted for a reasonable sum.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

When I win the lottery I'm getting one of these....

http://www.equinemotorcoach.com/
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought about these for a while but then decided against it:
    1) I like having the LQs. I know you can get LQ on some of the vans
    2) once I get to the show, I have to drive the horse van to dinner or whatever - unless I have a friend to bum rides from
    3) trucks can serve multiple jobs on the farm
    4) unless you use it a lot, I wouldn't think it would be good for it to sit for months on end. Maybe it wouldn't hurt it... ?

If you do a search, you'll find quite a few threads (here & off course, mostly) about horse vans.

I own an older one and have posted about it on occassion. If you'd like some specific questions answered, feel free to PM me.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

There was one on display at Equine Affaire in Mass. this past weekend. I didn't notice the brand, and I doubt the price was on display. It was quite impressive. In the front it had a lovely mobile condominium for people, and a door that led into the 2-horse accomodations for your horses. Quite a lovely vehicle, and I guess if you're made of money you would enjoy owning one.

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    There was one on display at Equine Affaire in Mass. this past weekend. I didn't notice the brand, and I doubt the price was on display. It was quite impressive. In the front it had a lovely mobile condominium for people, and a door that led into the 2-horse accomodations for your horses. Quite a lovely vehicle, and I guess if you're made of money you would enjoy owning one.
    We looked at it, it's too small. If I'm going to drive a van, I want room for at least 3 or 4 ponies. Or 6 or 7.

I really want a van, wanted one for years and years, ever since I first saw one at the local TB breeding farm when I was a kid. But I doubt I will ever have the money.

[QUOTE=Guilherme;6661283]Horse vans are an interesting idea but not practical for most horse owners.[\QUOTE]

I think it really depends.

For someone who boards a horse or two, needs a car as a daily driver, and doesn't have room at home to park part of a rig (the truck), a van can work nicely.

I go back and forth about keeping the van; but in the end, it is very practical for me for the above reasons.

I will never have a farm. I can haul plants or furniture in the van. I drive 40-100 miles a day, so a vehicle with good fuel economy is a must. I live on a cul de sac and only have room to park two cars in the driveway. If I had a truck and trailer, I'd have to pay to park both of them at the ranch.

I've had a truck and trailer. It was two things to maintain, insure, etc. The van is just one & that's simpler for me.

The real reason I consider getting rid of the van is that idea of driving it up/down to Flagstaff to hunt or compete makes me queasy. I can live with it being a gas hog, constantly needing repairs as everything gets replaced (it's on a 1977 truck & almost everything was still original), and being big and quirky. But, mountain grades in the daylight with it make me want to barf.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

If you ever decide to sell it, you know how to find me.... It's funny, I haven't been able to find any nearby, except when I was going to spend all my "extra" money on a new horse instead. Oops?

For me, I want something small and fuel efficient for everyday, and would trailer pretty much weekly if I could. Not having a separate truck/trailer to worry about would be nice, and I've always had a bit of a phobia about trailers - a van would make me worry less.

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    I think it really depends.

For someone who boards a horse or two, needs a car as a daily driver, and doesn't have room at home to park part of a rig (the truck), a van can work nicely.

I go back and forth about keeping the van; but in the end, it is very practical for me for the above reasons.

I will never have a farm. I can haul plants or furniture in the van. I drive 40-100 miles a day, so a vehicle with good fuel economy is a must. I live on a cul de sac and only have room to park two cars in the driveway. If I had a truck and trailer, I'd have to pay to park both of them at the ranch.

I've had a truck and trailer. It was two things to maintain, insure, etc. The van is just one & that's simpler for me.

The real reason I consider getting rid of the van is that idea of driving it up/down to Flagstaff to hunt or compete makes me queasy. I can live with it being a gas hog, constantly needing repairs as everything gets replaced (it's on a 1977 truck & almost everything was still original), and being big and quirky. But, mountain grades in the daylight with it make me want to barf.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

My boss was trying to sell her horse van for the better part of a decade, not sure what finally happened to it! I've only seen another like it, old white van w/ blue trim. Used it a few time. The battery died regularly but it roughly got us from point A to point B. Very rustic.