The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Netflix is it worth the $

So I got the free one month trial of Netflix, and I had heard that it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now that I have it can't see what all the fuss was about. A few of the movies I wanted to see were not there and others of the classic movie type seemed to be grade B remakes. I think the TV show selection was pretty good. Just wondering what others have found.

I did it for a while. It was great the year we had snowstorm after snowstorm, but I found that we just didn't use it for months at a time.

We are much happier renting movies at red box. They have newer releases and its only $1 a movie.

We may watch 4 movies a weekend, but we also go weeks when we are so busy we don't have time.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I love Netflix. I stream it on my HDTVs and it's awesome. Plenty of shows and movies to watch.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I have Netflix and I enjoy it. I do agree with you that its tv selections are much better than the movies it has. That's OK by me because I don't care to see too many modern movies and I love being able to see all of the old tv shows again and catch up on some of the newer ones that I missed.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I love Netflix. I stream it on my HDTVs and it's awesome. Plenty of shows and movies to watch.
    We do this with hulu and Netflix, instead of spending $80+ on tv service that can't be canceled without paying huge penalties. The Blu-ray players are hooked to our wireless network, so it's super easy. No, you don't always get every TV show or movie you want to watch, but there's plenty there.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

I love it.
    I stream movies to my laptop with headphones so the kids don't see inappropriate content (violence or language).
    My son watches the kid content all the time on his iPad or the TV via the XBox.
    My husband recently started watching a couple of TV series and was able to start at the beginning and catch all the way up to current very quickly.

I will say, I end up having to use the U-Verse On Demand if I want to watch current big movies - they just aren't available on Netflix.
    That was a conscious decision on their part to move away from the big movies to more series programs.

It depends on whether you're more interested in TV shows or movies, and whether you want dvds by mail or streaming.

We dropped Netflix after they changed their pricing structure and just have Amazon Prime. I'm not sure how it all fits together but it seems like DH can get the Amazon stuff onto the Tivo. There's also an Apple TV but I don't think he uses that much.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    We do this with hulu and Netflix, instead of spending $80+ on tv service that can't be canceled without paying huge penalties. The Blu-ray players are hooked to our wireless network, so it's super easy. No, you don't always get every TV show or movie you want to watch, but there's plenty there.
    Same here. We have the minimum subscription with Netflix so we have movies on instant watch, and they have a decent selection of foreign movies. It's great for catching up with older TV series - no commercials!
    Between Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, On Demand...plenty to watch.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I can't speak to the streaming side - Living in the back end of nowheresville, I'm using mobile broadband as my sole internet connection. With 6 or 8 GB a month, streaming movies just isn't going to happen.

But I have the one at a time DVD plan, which as long as I keep them turning over and don't hold onto a movie for a week, is absolutely worth it. I get through eight movies a month, which at $8.53 a month including tax, is less expensive than Redbox. It's rare that they don't have a film that I want, and I love old/indie movies.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I have Hulu and the smallest (stream only) Netflix and I rarely use the Netflix. Although it is great for older shows with no commercial breaks.

Yes, I think it is. We live in funky area...rural turning suburban, but we're on the "have not" side of a big town, area wise. It's a drive to a Red Box, or any other way of acquiring (and, worse, returning!) a DVD. We also don't subscribe to cable and have a big, honking, antenna on the roof. But, we do have a high quality, high speed, FIOS connection, so streaming video is the way to go. I have a Netflix streaming membership and an Amazon Prime membership...we watch a lot of things through that and rent movies through Amazon as well.

I let my Netflix lapse, I changed to just streaming but was annoyed that a lot of what I wanted to watch (such as HBO shows) were not available to stream. Might either do the 1 DVD plan or Amazon Prime when I want to resubscribe.

I love it!!! We do streaming only and supplement with Red Box (that's the plan anyway, even though I haven't actually rented from Red Box yet lol).

I love the movie selection and TV selection (nearly 200 selections in my insta-q). I love B-rated horror flicks and there are no shortage of those! I also like older movies that are available and they have been getting better with newer releases being added.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    I let my Netflix lapse, I changed to just streaming but was annoyed that a lot of what I wanted to watch (such as HBO shows) were not available to stream. Might either do the 1 DVD plan or Amazon Prime when I want to resubscribe.
    Yes we have the streaming, so maybe that's the problem. I would have liked to get some of the HBO shows, and thought the movie selection would be better or more up to date. So a good solution would be HULU or the Amazon route? TIA

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

When we moved to a new house and got rid of *gasp* dial up, we went to just streaming Netflix. Love it Love it Love it but we don't go out much and have two children
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I'm in love with my Amazon Prime account, although you would have to hook your computer up to your TV. Episodes of the most highly-rated shows cost the same as they do on iTunes, but some popular, less publicized shows (like Downton Abbey) are free. The free two-day shipping is a huge plus!
    <><

w/o any doubt one of the few things I enjoy anymore
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I don't consume much entertainment media, so for $7.99 a month I enjoy knowing that diversion is available to me anytime should the mood to watch something strike. It's not an overwhelming variety of movies, but it works well enough for me.

The movie selection is horrible, but I like the TV selection. I also like that I can stream it on my TV via my Wii, and that I can stream it on my phone. Allowing me to watch "Doctor Who" or "Archer" while running on the treadmill at the gym. (:

I agree with SarahandSam, a few years ago I had both movies and streaming because the selection was so good. Now I share streaming with a friend and just watch TV shows occasionally or documentaries. New movies I might get a Redbox. And we were going to the movies more but after Cloud Atlas....not for a loooong while again!