The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TV and holiday meals

I hope it doesn't happen, I'll protest mightly if it does, but on the off chance that my inlaws show up for a holiday meal what is your family's policy on TV and meals?

I know they will want to eat in front of the TV but we have never done that. Family meals are for family though i will schedule around important games.

Otherwise IMHO they should go to a sports bar.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Your house, your rules, though it probably should be discussed with your SO beforehand so that you present a united front.

I think you're right, by the way, though it used to anger me to no end when Mom would announce that dinner was ready, two minutes before the running of the Kentucky Derby.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I agree with you. All family holiday meals in the past - heck, even recent holiday meals when it's just been my husband & I - are eaten in a nice setting & NOT in front of the tv. Of course, since our house is set up with the kitchen/dining/living room in one big cathedral-ceilinged "great room", I don't have a problem with the tv being on while we're eating. So I guess in my case it's sort of a best of both worlds.

I don't know what is more irritating, showing up for a meal without mentioning it, or watching tv while you eat the meal you just showed up for.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Your house, your rules, though it probably should be discussed with your SO beforehand so that you present a united front.
    Agreed.

Then unplug the TV before the guests arrive.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

I think you're right, by the way, though it used to anger me to no end when Mom would announce that dinner was ready, two minutes before the running of the Kentucky Derby.
    He agrees with me. The last time they had Christmas dinner with us they spent as little time with us as possible. Arriving just as we were sitting down, bolting before desert. Not a problem really
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We have a family member that plays for the Vikings so if the Vikings are playing the TV is on, otherwise no TV during dinner! Oh and my husband played football for UK and bleeds blue so if UK basketball is on he is allowed to watch.

No TV during dinner. My family will sometimes have dessert in the downstairs rom with the fireplace, and put on a movie then.

Well the Kentucky derby lasts at most for 2 minutes. A football game can last for hours. There is a slight difference in the required time away from the meal and company!

(Yes, I'm a little biased)

At our house most meals are eaten around the table. Only on Sunday when we order pizza can we eat in the living room.