The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Removing a bone chip in the knee joint. Surgery this morning

My quarter horse mare has a bone chip in her left knee. Arthroscopic surgery was recommended. She has crappy leg conformation which is probably why she developed the chip. ( back at the knee). She is currently relatively sound but only with light use. Prognosis after surgery is that she will be more comfortable longer and can return to her original usage plan which is a trail horse for me. Cost is estimated to be around $1800 + or - $200. It sounds like a good plan but I have no experience with this kind of surgery. Anyone else been through this with a horse? Share your experiences.
    Last edited by bird4416; Nov. 15, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yes, I would have the chip removed. A floating chip would likely speed up the onset of arthritis, besides any lameness that it causes immediately. Whether or not she returns to her intended use is harder to say- but even if the probability wasn't good I'd still have the surgery as it will prolong her comfort.

Surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. I take her the day before for blood work. I pick her up either the day after or the following day depending on recovery.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Jingles for your mare!!! (Going to UGA?)
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

I got my guy to late. He had a chip but it turned into bad arthritis over the years. When I got him and 6 months later he was slightly limping I took him and they found it. Did the surgery and they also shaved out some of the arthritis but I couldn't ride him it had gotten so bad. I don't regret it because I loved him so much and he retired with me here at home and Had some wonderful years with me. I just wished I'd had him sooner so I could have headed it off. I'd do it if it was me.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Yes, I'm taking her to UGA.

Dealing with racehorses, I have seen quite a few of them over the years. They are normally off for 3-4 months starting with 2 weeks stall rest, then stall rest with walking, then moving into a small paddock for a couple weeks, then out to regular paddock.

Knee bandages are ackward to deal with but I almost like knee surgery better then fetlock ones, those always seem to have swelling and what not.

Good luck!

P.

Ohhh is eggleston doing it? He did my boy, he knows us to well unfortunately lol. Been there more then a few times.

My vet set up the appointment and I think the surgeon will be either Mueller or Boone. Please send jingles for a successful surgery. This mare has been a PITA since her mom went into labor and she has a vet phobia so I'm quite worried about her.

Surgery is this morning. Please send jingles Lily's way.

Jingles her way. Be prepared when she comes home she may lay down a lot and look not so great. My guy was very tough but the surgery was hard on him for a few days. Good luck and I'm sure she will be just fine. They have such great vets there. I know Boone and mueller, they are really good!

She is through the surgery and in recovery right now. Dr. Boone said they removed a large chip and cleaned up some arthritis. She said the cartilage was in pretty good shape and her prognosis is good.

Now I'm waiting on Lily to wake up from the anesthesia and praying she doesn't freak out. She is a sensitive girl.

So far, so good!!! Continued prayers over Lily mare
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Great news. Glad she is doing well. That's exactly what they did to my guy. Good luck with her.

She is up and back in her stall. Happy dance!!

That is when you can finally breathe a sigh of relief!

We had a mare at the farm I worked at way back when, that had a bone chip removed, and a large screw put in - and she went back to full training and even racing!