The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

I think the Andis T-84 blade is a #8. That's what I use on the body, with a #10 blade on face and legs and for blending. Personally I like to leave the hair slightly longer.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I have Double Ks and I love them... that said, the blades do not stay cooler. You need to make sure they are lubed and check the temperature of the blade often especially when you are clipping the face. The blades move twice as fast as on a regular A-5, so they clip through hair like a hot knife through butter.

They are pretty good for sensitive horses, but the cord makes a buzzing noise that some horses don't like by their ears.
    Thank you! That's also really good to know.

What do you use for lubrication? Just wondering what you find works best when you clip with the Double K's.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Just wanted to chime in and say I also have the Double K's and LOVE them. I love having the motor clipped on the belt -- I find the handset very light and easy to maneuver, and especially love that you don't get any hair blown in your face! They've always given me beautiful results, and I've never had a horse object to them (though, to be fair, I've never had to clip a drama queen).

I spray mine periodically with Kool Lube (or equivalent), and put a few drops of oil on the blades usually once during the clip. (I touch the blades periodically and spray them when they seem warm. No science to when I oil, I just do it because of all the recommendations I've read here. I also make sure they blades are cleaned and oiled before I pack them away after a clip.) I picked up the spray and oil at my local tack shop, along with the T-84 blades that a bunch of other people have mentioned. I have blades coming out my ears so if I ever feel like they're getting too hot or dull I can just swap them out.

Don't use 30's! I've done it before (by accident) and that poor horse looked like he had some kind of nasty skin disease, there is literally no hair left! For body clipping now I like to use T-84's or 10's, they do a great job for me.

Spray Lube, and I dip them in blade wash a few times per body clip. The other thing you need is extra little plastic lever things that move the blades. The edges wear out and they will start not clipping as well. It's easier to have one on hand when you need it than to have to order it and wait for it to come. Occasionally unscrew the metal plate and clean the hair out from under it (like after you are done clipping.) I've had mine about 20 years and they still work great.

I would recommend a #10 with a #15 for ears/face. #30 is a surgical blade. I use Kool Lube on my Oster and Andis clippers.

Actually a 40 is a surgical blade... but a 30 is still a really close shave. I bought a horse that had been clipped by a lady that did arabs... she used a 30 blade and as an added bonus clipped his bridle path arab style... oh joy. And all of that after I'd said I would buy him, but before I picked him up! Poor horse was naked.