The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which blades for body clipping?

I'm about to order a new set of big body clippers (The Double K's) and I am wondering what size of blades I will need? They take either Oster A5 blades or the Andis AGC blades. Would a size 30 blade be about right?

I was going to go with the Lister Stars but I've heard the blades clip way too close and are expensive & hard to find, especially the medium blades that don't scalp the horses.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

No! 10 blade! 30 will leave the horse BALD.

I'm so glad I asked! I have only ever borrowed clippers before from other people and never had to worry about what blades to use. Ok #10 it is!

Some will even say to go with an "8" but I have honestly never seen anything lower than a 10.

Higher the number, closer the clip. 30s are usually used for extra close shaving on the face etc -But I have never used 30s. 10s come on most horse clippers.

I use the Andis T-84 blades for body clipping.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

2 members found this post helpful.

8's take off less hair than 10s. They are coarser. I've never heard of anyone using 8s but I guess you could.

The smaller the number, the coarser the blade. The higher the number the finer the blade. Surgical is 50 and that's pretty much as fine as you will commonly see.

Most people body clip with 10s. I would not recommend much closer than that. I also like the T-84s which are 10s but extra wide to cover more surface area.

Gotta' say though... I *love* my Lister stars!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

T-84

Thank you all! Your input is very helpful!

I'm just getting ready to order blades to clip all of the horses this year and see that Schneider's Tack has a buy-one-get-one-free sale on blades. Sadly, it doesn't include the #10 XWide, but still a great deal!
    www.sstack.com

Agree with what everyone has said in terms of using 10's...

Just out of curiosity how did you pick those clippers? I am intrigued.

I just ordered a new set of Andis from Supreme Show Supply. I was going to go with the Andis Progress but opted for the Andis HC as I have heard they last longer than the Progress? (not a huge issue as I'll only be clipping one horse a year I think but still)
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I use 10 ceramic edge blades, I find they stay sharp longer

10s! I personally don't like the wide ones as you can't get into all the little places as well and I've found the leave more marks. For shows I will use 15s on legs and face/ears. Really makes everything sharp and clean looking.

T84 & 10
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I like either T-84 (2.4 mm) or 10 (1.5 mm). Around here, T-84s are much harder to find so this year I just used a 10 for everything. Usually do something finer for the face/ears.

Quote Originally Posted by hequestrian View Post
    Agree with what everyone has said in terms of using 10's...

Just out of curiosity how did you pick those clippers? I am intrigued.
    Well at first I was going to get a set of the big Osters but I have used them before and they really are heavy and blow tons of hair in your face, so when I got reading about clipper selection, I read there was better options.

The Andis I just haven't seen many of the "big" clippers and wasn't sure if they actually made one that was up to the task of body clipping multiple horses.

I was pretty much sold on the Lister Stars and was going to order them out of the US because they're $100-150 cheaper down there. But then I got looking into the blades and read a ton of reviews that said the "fine" blades are way too fine and practically scalp a horse. So I got looking for the "medium" blades and they seem almost impossible to find and when I did find them, they are expensive! I was quoted $80-ish dollars a set.

I had seen the "Double K" clippers mentioned on COTH before but they were pricey. However I found a really awesome sale on them and figured I'd snap a set up. I like that the motor is separate from the clipping head making it quieter & less vibration for sensitive horses (so they say) and the clipping head is supposed to stay cooler. Plus I like the fact that they take any of the Oster A5 or Andis AGC blades, which are a lot cheaper and more readily available.

So I'm hoping I'm making the right decision, I guess I'll find out!

I've used a 7 before and I quite like it. It takes away the weird "just clipped" color and lines are less prominent. The only problem is that you have to clip a little more often since the hair is a little longer.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I'm just getting ready to order blades to clip all of the horses this year and see that Schneider's Tack has a buy-one-get-one-free sale on blades. Sadly, it doesn't include the #10 XWide, but still a great deal!
    www.sstack.com
    Just bought mine from them last week. Awesome deal, couldn't pass it up even though I didn't really need new blades.

I used the T-84's that came with my Andis and really liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigit View Post
    Well at first I was going to get a set of the big Osters but I have used them before and they really are heavy and blow tons of hair in your face, so when I got reading about clipper selection, I read there was better options.

The Andis I just haven't seen many of the "big" clippers and wasn't sure if they actually made one that was up to the task of body clipping multiple horses.

I was pretty much sold on the Lister Stars and was going to order them out of the US because they're $100-150 cheaper down there. But then I got looking into the blades and read a ton of reviews that said the "fine" blades are way too fine and practically scalp a horse. So I got looking for the "medium" blades and they seem almost impossible to find and when I did find them, they are expensive! I was quoted $80-ish dollars a set.

I had seen the "Double K" clippers mentioned on COTH before but they were pricey. However I found a really awesome sale on them and figured I'd snap a set up. I like that the motor is separate from the clipping head making it quieter & less vibration for sensitive horses (so they say) and the clipping head is supposed to stay cooler. Plus I like the fact that they take any of the Oster A5 or Andis AGC blades, which are a lot cheaper and more readily available.

So I'm hoping I'm making the right decision, I guess I'll find out!
    I've been using the Lister Star clippers for a year on both big horses and miniature horses and have never had a problem with either finding blades or how close the fine blades are. I use the medium blades on the minis because I clip them in the summer only (it gets really hot here) and I want them to have a little hair. I use the fine blades on two thoroughbreds and the clip job is perfect. It matches the clipping I get when I trim up with either my Andis 2-speed or my Wahl chromado clippers (in fact, I use the chromado clippers on face and legs and the Lister star on the body and I can't tell the difference.

I get replacement blades from Jeffers (medium) and SmartPak (fine) and they are not as expensive as you're quoting. Which reminds me, I need to order more! I love, love, love the Lister Star clippers!!!!
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

I called a few places up here in Canada that stock the Lister clippers/blades and that's what they quoted me. Jeffers & Smartpak are a PITA to get things shipped up here as they will *only* ship via UPS or Fedex and their international rates are ridiculous to begin with and then they tack on all kinds of other brokerage fees and such. It makes an awesome deal into more expensive than just getting them up here.

I have Double Ks and I love them... that said, the blades do not stay cooler. You need to make sure they are lubed and check the temperature of the blade often especially when you are clipping the face. The blades move twice as fast as on a regular A-5, so they clip through hair like a hot knife through butter.

They are pretty good for sensitive horses, but the cord makes a buzzing noise that some horses don't like by their ears.