The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me again why my vote was so important..

For the first time in my life, I voted in a presidential election.

I always believed that my vote really did not matter one way or the other. So I did not exerise my right to vote until now.

So, my vote, no matter who it was for, really had no impact since I live in the State of Florida, whose votes have not been counted yet. One of the almighty powerful swing states, no less.

Which brings me back to my firm belief that the election process in this country is sadly broken and needs to be fixed.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    For the first time in my life, I voted in a presidential election.

I always believed that my vote really did not matter one way or the other. So I did not exerise my right to vote until now.

So, my vote, no matter who it was for, really had no impact since I live in the State of Florida, whose votes have not been counted yet. One of the almighty powerful swing states, no less.

Which brings me back to my firm belief that the election process in this country is sadly broken and needs to be fixed.
    I thought that answer is what they taught in grade school civic classes in the USA?

Your vote did matter, more than many. It may seem worthless since the results are being announced before every single last vote is counted. But your vote added to the accumulation of votes that created the trend that made that announcement possible.

I agree that the election process in this country is broken in several ways that need fixing. But I don't see any possible fix to the problem that you think exists.

Many people think we should abolish the Electoral College system and elect the President based on direct popular vote. Regardless of whether you think that's a good idea, it still wouldn't change the problem you're complaining about. Even with a popular vote, the winner is still going to be decided after some large amount of votes have been reported, while others are still being counted.

So how do you suggest fixing the system so that you can feel like your vote really mattered?

3 members found this post helpful.

The years I don't get my way I feel my vote was pointless. But just think what would happen if everyone felt that way and didn't bother...

1 members found this post helpful.

Did your ballot only include the Presidential race, Over the Hill? Or, were there state and maybe even local elections on it? Were there propositions that you had to vote yes or not for?

This was not just a Presidential election, nor are any of them. Elections determine who is going to govern us, on all levels. I've expressed this belief before, but I'll say it again. Change begins on the local level. That's where most of the day to day decisions that directly affect us come from. We need to be just as careful and diligent when we choose those individuals, and the results matter just as much --- to us.

Heck, I went to the polls with my next door neighbor. I'm pretty sure our votes canceled each other out. But, we both expressed our opinion and let our voices be heard. We have the right, and the obligation to do that. It's not a duty that should be taken lightly, or not taken at all.

Does something need to be done about the electoral system? I certainly wouldn't be adverse to some changes. But, does that make my vote any less valuable? In my opinion, it doesn't. If no one voted, because he or she thought their vote wouldn't matter, then the electoral college wouldn't function, in any manner.

It doesn't matter how I vote, it matters how we all vote. We're all in this together, all the head-butting, stubborn, opinionated cantankerous millions of us who are lucky enough to call this country our home.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

8 members found this post helpful.

Having fought and conquered the suppression of my voting rights, I can only agree with:

"You don't know what you have until you lose it".

2 members found this post helpful.

OTH, I know how you feel. Years ago, I lived in OR and worked HARD on a senatorial campaign. And presidential, but our focus was on the senator. I'd grown up on the east coast, I was in my 20s, and I hadn't really been all that involved in politics. We worked our tails off - and with the polls open for another three hours, they called it. I was devastated (we all were, but I'd never thought about the difference the time zones made). We were still calling people to get to the polls, we were still going to pick them up to take them to the polls. And it was over. We could still try to convince them how important the LOCAL elections were and that their vote would still matter to them, but the wind was sure sucked out of our sails.

I'm still a bit boggled by the concept that the populace can vote for one person and that person could lose because of the electoral college. I have never understood that.

I firmly believe that if you don't vote, you don't get to bitch. The problem is very few of us (myself very much included) don't bother to do much research - we listen to the media frenzy and pick either on party lines, a couple of hot issues for us, or decide based on the ads that pi$$ed us off least. I read more yesterday when I discovered this thread (in a forum I'd never visited before on COTH) than I had during the entire campaign. Thank you, those who posted thoughtful, coherent comments and offered informative links.

As far as Florida's votes not tallied yet, because of the aforementioned electoral college, they don't have a deciding factor because Obama had well over the necessary number without. It will be interesting to see whether the populace numbers would turn the other way. At the moment, (last I heard - this morning), Obama was ahead by just under 3 million. But even if that were reversed, because of the electoral college, it wouldn't influence the outcome.

The system IS broken - but if we stick our heads in the sand, that won't help. A lot of people were (are always) motivated every four years, but it's the in between that's probably most important. That's when all the nitty-gritty gets done, so do what you can do to help change what needs to be changed. If I put that in writing - I just did - and say it in public - I just did - PERHAPS it will serve as an impetus to ME to practice what I suggest.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I ironically had this same conversation with my SO this morning. I voted 4 years ago and voted yesterday but considering that electorial votes are what mattered most was curious why, we the people, vote as well. I know that some states count every electorial vote, but others do a majority rules. So if they have 10 votes and 6 went to one candidate and 4 to another only the 6 count. Not very fair if you ask me, but this is a state policy not a federal one.

It definitely is frustrating and I do think that the way we hold and handle elections has MUCH room for improvement. All we can do is research how our state handles these votes and if you disagree with yours make it known!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Did your ballot only include the Presidential race, Over the Hill? Or, were there state and maybe even local elections on it? Were there propositions that you had to vote yes or not for?

This was not just a Presidential election, nor are any of them. Elections determine who is going to govern us, on all levels. I've expressed this belief before, but I'll say it again. Change begins on the local level. That's where most of the day to day decisions that directly affect us come from. We need to be just as careful and diligent when we choose those individuals, and the results matter just as much --- to us.

Heck, I went to the polls with my next door neighbor. I'm pretty sure our votes canceled each other out. But, we both expressed our opinion and let our voices be heard. We have the right, and the obligation to do that. It's not a duty that should be taken lightly, or not taken at all.

Does something need to be done about the electoral system? I certainly wouldn't be adverse to some changes. But, does that make my vote any less valuable? In my opinion, it doesn't. If no one voted, because he or she thought their vote wouldn't matter, then the electoral college wouldn't function, in any manner.

It doesn't matter how I vote, it matters how we all vote. We're all in this together, all the head-butting, stubborn, opinionated cantankerous millions of us who are lucky enough to call this country our home.
    After waiting in line for about 30 minutes to vote yesterday, one of the volunteers told me she'd never seen such a long line. Cracked her up when I said that that was because this was a Presidential Election, which always brings out the DEADBEAT voters - i.e. those voters who can't be bothered voting during the years when just local seats & issues are at stake. And she responded - "And those are the seats that should be more important to them". How very very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    After waiting in line for about 30 minutes to vote yesterday, one of the volunteers told me she'd never seen such a long line. Cracked her up when I said that that was because this was a Presidential Election, which always brings out the DEADBEAT voters - i.e. those voters who can't be bothered voting during the years when just local seats & issues are at stake. And she responded - "And those are the seats that should be more important to them". How very very true.
    There is really no such thing as a "deadbeat voter." The phrase itself is an oxymoron.

That is the nature of democracy. You are one little piece of the whole. Without many little pieces the whole does not exist.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I supposed I could make a case that my individual vote, in Presidential general elections anyway, doesn't matter. Mass so consistently gives their electoral votes to the Democratic candidate (except it went for Reagan!) that the news sites usually flip us blue as soon as the polls close at 8pm, before any actual returns are reported.

BUT, what if everyone thought the same way and no one here voted?! My vote does count. Plus, I do vote in local elections and we had a very hot Senate race this time in which there is no doubt that my voted mattered.

Yes, Canaqua - you did. AND a couple important propositions!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

If you're a republican, I'd recommend you never vote again. That way, you won't have to worry about wasting your vote.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsoMatt View Post
    Your vote did matter, more than many. It may seem worthless since the results are being announced before every single last vote is counted. But your vote added to the accumulation of votes that created the trend that made that announcement possible.

I agree that the election process in this country is broken in several ways that need fixing. But I don't see any possible fix to the problem that you think exists.

Many people think we should abolish the Electoral College system and elect the President based on direct popular vote. Regardless of whether you think that's a good idea, it still wouldn't change the problem you're complaining about. Even with a popular vote, the winner is still going to be decided after some large amount of votes have been reported, while others are still being counted.

So how do you suggest fixing the system so that you can feel like your vote really mattered?
    Why is not counting by every single vote cast possible? Tally them all up after every polling place is closed and all votes are in. It will take a while, but who cares?

Every single vote is counted. It does take a while. And, in a few days, the official results will be announced. And the final official numbers will differ slightly from the ones that have been previously announced. But it won't make a difference in the outcome. If the outcome was really so close that the last few votes could possibly change it, then the winner would not be declared until they were counted. For example, the winner in Florida is still not declared, because the race is close and there are still votes to count. So it could be a couple of days until there's a final declaration of who won Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    If you're a republican, I'd recommend you never vote again. That way, you won't have to worry about wasting your vote.
    Uncalled for. Everyone who is eligible should vote - period.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
    I ironically had this same conversation with my SO this morning. I voted 4 years ago and voted yesterday but considering that electorial votes are what mattered most was curious why, we the people, vote as well. I know that some states count every electorial vote, but others do a majority rules. So if they have 10 votes and 6 went to one candidate and 4 to another only the 6 count. Not very fair if you ask me, but this is a state policy not a federal one.

It definitely is frustrating and I do think that the way we hold and handle elections has MUCH room for improvement. All we can do is research how our state handles these votes and if you disagree with yours make it known!
    Only 2 states can split their electoral votes (NE and ME) and while the possibility exists that the state's electoral college could willfully disregard that specific's state's popular vote, it is legal to punish electors who do not reflect the state's popular vote and 24 states have those laws. As a matter of practicality though, no elector who has ever done that has changed the outcome of an election.

Also the electoral college system protects the smaller states from being overrun by the interests of larger states, or geographic populations that are vastly more populated than others. You only have to look at a map distorted to show state size by population to realize that a viable way to the majority vote might be to cater exclusively to the Northeast's political needs. That *might* suit people in the midwest, but then again it might not.

It's not just that the electoral college makes the election all about a few swing states, it's possible that without it, it might not even be about the swing states.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Your vote counts exactly the same amount as the President's does.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._