The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird blister/rash?

I've had a circular rash/blister for about a week. It doesn't hurt. It's red, has a defined "edge" so to speak, but it doesn't end at the "edge" it just fades, so there is the "edge" which is visible, and then some pinkish fading beyond that. I hope that makes sense. I think I'm starting to notice it in areas surrounding the rash as well, like new spots of it. But I can't really tell, as I'm also prone to pimply type dots. This is definitely different. I can't tell if it is more of a blister or a rash, as the skin is "raw" and red like a blister but it doesn't hurt at all.

I put some fungal creme on it today as it doesn't seem to be going away on its own. I'm pretty sure I've had something like this before, but I can't remember if it was exactly the same or not. It's not a bullseye like from a tick bite. I would recognize one of those.

Any ideas? Worth having the doctor check out? Feel free to PM me.

Ring worm ?

I could be way off, but it could be possible.

Agree, could be ring worm (which is not a worm, but a fungus ...so your gut instinct to go for the antifungal may be correct. I'd probably show it to a doctor, to make sure you know that it is and get the appropriate meds.

Definitely take a photo of it. Spider bite? Tick bite? Are you in a tick borne disease area?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

It does look similar to ringworm, but it seems to be more red than the pictures I've seen. I suppose it could be a spider or a tick bite but it doesn't have the classic bullseye with the bite in the middle. It's more of red oval/circular area that is raw and blistered in the middle (but not painful at all). Color doesn't change all that much from middle to outer-edge, after the edge it's a light pink "fading" color.

When it starts to get dry and chilly I occasionally get those. They don't itch, the center is scaly, and I think it's just dry skin.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    When it starts to get dry and chilly I occasionally get those. They don't itch, the center is scaly, and I think it's just dry skin.
    It could be dry skin too. It's definitely gotten cold here in the last week or two, and I am prone to dry skin. I suppose I'll make sure to moisturize and apply some anti-fungal creme. If it isn't better in a few days I'll probably make a dr's appt, just to be on the safe side.

If you ever get a painful rash run to the ER, because if it's shingles you need antivirals ASAP or the duration and complications could be worse.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Rash isn't painful or itchy at all.

If it's not painful, I'd keep treating it with Lotramin or the like, just in case it's ringworm. It wont hurt anything if it's just dry skin.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I have granuloma annulare, and it sounds a bit like what you describe. Not much to be done with it, alas.

http://granulomaannularehelp.blogspo...are-means.html

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I've had a circular rash/blister for about a week. It doesn't hurt. It's red, has a defined "edge" so to speak, but it doesn't end at the "edge" it just fades, so there is the "edge" which is visible, and then some pinkish fading beyond that. I hope that makes sense. I think I'm starting to notice it in areas surrounding the rash as well, like new spots of it. But I can't really tell, as I'm also prone to pimply type dots. This is definitely different. I can't tell if it is more of a blister or a rash, as the skin is "raw" and red like a blister but it doesn't hurt at all.

I put some fungal creme on it today as it doesn't seem to be going away on its own. I'm pretty sure I've had something like this before, but I can't remember if it was exactly the same or not. It's not a bullseye like from a tick bite. I would recognize one of those.

Any ideas? Worth having the doctor check out? Feel free to PM me.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

That's pretty much how my discoid lupus lesions appear too. I mean, it could be ANYTHING. Go get checked out. BUt go to a derm. I spent 2 years doing different meds INCLUDING CHEMOTHERAPY for my lesions. And all I needed was really strong corticosteroids.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...