The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to get dried blood out of carpet?

Accidentally trimmed the dog's nail too short and he managed to cover the carpet in blood before I could get it coagulated. I was already late for work so I just had to leave it. What's the best way to get the stains out when I get home?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I've had success with hydrogen peroxide, but it will bleach darker colors. Oxyclean, maybe?
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

1 members found this post helpful.

I have read or heard somewhere that Alberto Head and Shoulders shampoo will remove even set-in blood stains. I have been meaning to try it ever since but never got around to it. If you do, could you please report back if it is true or not?

Lots of Oxyclean, a little water, and a scrub brush worked for me.
    It was the body that was harder to dispose of!

OK totally kidding about the body, but yeah, it is like slaughtering a pig when you get the "quick" in the dog's nail, isn't it? Yikes! I was outside when I did it, but then brought the dog into the house with me to get the phone to call the vet.

Sorry, but just can't help myself.

Does anyone remember the Jerry Seinfeld standup joke re: the old Tide commercials. Tide used to have a commercial where they showed a stained t-shirt - some of which was blood - & then clean as a whistle after washing in Tide.

And Jerry's response was something along the lines of "If you've got a t-shirt covered in blood stains, I'm kind of thinking that laundry detergent isn't your biggest issue at the moment." Lol!!!

But seriously, I've done the accidental dog nail quick clipping thing (which is why I always have my vet's staff do it whenever the dogs have to go in for something else), & when I used to have carpeting, found "Resolve" carpet cleaner was very good at getting any stains out.

Vinegar works nicely. I also read using an iron on steam can help, too

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/33-met...e-ocd-person-i
    ^Some useful stuff for all sorts of cleaning tricks!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

buy red-brown colored carpets with a sort of pattern to them. Then no one can tell.

Thanks everyone! I guess I can try one of each suggested remedy on a different spot and see what works best, lol! I also have a small spot cleaner so I'll go ahead and use that too. The room literally looks like a murder scene. We rent so I'm hoping we won't have to replace the carpet.

Just an FYI, if anyone does this, pressing flour onto the nail helps stop the bleeding. Wish I'd known that about 1 minute earlier than I did...sigh.

I now have a jar of these on hand:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24071

They keep pretty much forever, & I can use them on my dogs, cats, & even my cockatoo.

Also have a smaller jar of styptic powder as backup.

I'm obviously a nail-trimming weenie.

With topic titles like this one and the one about buying a chainsaw, I start to worry about my COTH comrades. You just keep telling that dog toenail story...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

So I get home from work tonight and there's blood EVERYWHERE. Apparently SO "thought that's how it was when he got home". He didn't notice that the dog opened his nail back up and started bleeding again. Then he proceeded to have the zoomies throughout the whole house, including 3 rooms with carpet. Then laid on the couch. So I just spent 3 hours and two bottles of peroxide blotting tiny little spots of blood allll over. Ended up using Oxiclean in the room I was originally worried about. The peroxide definitely did a better job but the Oxiclean did respectably too.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have had good luck with hydrogen peroxide, as reported in this thread:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...r-Blood-Stains
    The Evil Chem Prof

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

spit on it...... yes I'm serious. Protein draws out protein. Spit on it. the Blood will float on top of the spit and will come up clean as a whistle.

Not only have I done this with blown stitches on a dog but when my college friend bled all over her favorite sweatshirt after donating plasma. Of course the blood stain on the sweat shirt took three people's spit to cover it all but it came totally clean.

Not to gross anyone out but ya know when you have those little leak throughs once a month? Spit on those and you don't have to hide underwear from your boyfriends. Comes out in the wash, even after the spit has dried. seriously

ok now I've gone too far...
    ...don't sh** where you eat...