The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    While I am not a doctor, my father is a retired oncologist, and my brother is a practicing one. Both strongly supported the Healthcare Act.

The problem with complaining about Obamacare is that the healthcare system is horribly broken as it is. There already IS rationing (you try getting good care without insurance, or getting insurance if you have a preexisting condition). There already ARE panels denying certain procedures etc even though your doctor thinks you need them.

If it were up to me, I'd absolutely have REAL electronic medical records -- records that could be accessed electronically anywhere in the country, not just in one hospital's system. (If you've ever had someone with a complicated history who's had to see many different doctors and specialities you would know what a blessing this would be -- no more making sure you have copies of all the latest tests to add to the inches thick folder you drag to every appointment).

I would have a single payer system so that NO ONE would be unable to get care.

I would also reform medical school and reduce the debt many students graduate with. And I would cap doctors' salaries too -- at a pretty high level, but still. I would not have doctors profit from the number of tests they order (i.e. that is an incentive to order unnecessary tests)

In fact, I'd model my system on Britain's, where I lived for four years. I love that they have a single payer system and a private system. It guarantees a minimum level of care. And it may surprise you to know that the government run healthcare is regarded as superior to the private.

OK, off my soapbox, sorry for the rant that wasn't what the OP asked. But I couldn't help myself!
    This!!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Nope, I don't know or care about the politics of health care reform.
    I am reporting what the doctors and other health care workers I have talked about this have said.

I don't know not one that has been for it for years now, since this first came up.
    That is all I know and have said so.
    my point was that you seem bent on disregarding or dismissing any doctor opinion related on here that does not fall within the ambit of what you have already decided is "the" doctor position on this. While you may have only talked to doctors that do not support it, many people on here, including doctors, have related that not all doctors are opposed to it.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    I am a nurse practitioner in a pediatric clinic. All of our pediatricians are ecstatic about Obamacare. We are so tired of trying to get care for uninsured kids. This week, I saw a teenager who broke his hand in football on Friday.
    Sorry to sound snarky, but I can't help but wonder why is he playing a high contact sport like football if he has no health insurance.

Sort of like the person on the other thread with the broken wrist - I am deeply sorry she is injured, but she willingly took a job in a profession with a pretty good risk of getting hurt at some point, she willingly didn't secure health insurance, and she is now complaining because the ortho wants to charge her $3800 (or whatever) to repair her fracture.

I am continually puzzled by the lack of personal responsibility of folks. Mr DY and I have paid out over $1500 each month for quite a few years now for three separate medical policies because we feel that our health care is OUR responsibility. We are perplexed why other folks seem to think we should be expected to pay for THEIR health care, too. This is a mindset I just do not understand.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Sorry to sound snarky, but I can't help but wonder why is he playing a high contact sport like football if he has no health insurance.

Sort of like the person on the other thread with the broken wrist - I am deeply sorry she is injured, but she willingly took a job in a profession with a pretty good risk of getting hurt at some point, she willingly didn't secure health insurance, and she is now complaining because the ortho wants to charge her $3800 (or whatever) to repair her fracture.

I am continually puzzled by the lack of personal responsibility of folks. Mr DY and I have paid out over $1500 each month for quite a few years now for three separate medical policies because we feel that our health care is OUR responsibility. We are perplexed why other folks seem to think we should be expected to pay for THEIR health care, too. This is a mindset I just do not understand.
    I completely agree with you. I think a lot of people are missing the point about this whole subject. Where is the money going to come from to pay for all of these people to get health insurance? Who is going to pay for this? They are estimating it will cost every tax payer that makes 250K+ a year an extra 5k a year in taxes. I don't know about you but my family can't really afford to pay that.Personally, I don't want OBAMACARE! I like our united healthcare. I have lots of medical issues and united healthcare can't even completely cover them. So where on earth is this money for this program supposed to come from? Do I believe in helping people? Yes, but you can't help every person in the world. It will never happen. Even places with government health care have issues. Its not all fun and games. I already have to wait over 1 week to see my OBGYN when I have serious issues going on. And I don't even get to see an OBGYN, I have to see a nurse first! The hospitals are so overbooked that it takes weeks or even months to get in and see a REAL doctor. To think that that many people can just walk into a hospital and get help is just insane. When will the hospitals have tim to deal with them? There aren't enough doctors coming out of college and residency programs to fill these spots. To me, it sounds like a complete mess. I don't understand how this is supposed to get done.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    my point was that you seem bent on disregarding or dismissing any doctor opinion related on here that does not fall within the ambit of what you have already decided is "the" doctor position on this. While you may have only talked to doctors that do not support it, many people on here, including doctors, have related that not all doctors are opposed to it.
    My point is that here, every doctor I know is against it, for the reasons given.
    Why do you think I should not say that?
    Why do you then assume I am saying every other opinion is not valid?
    I am, as everyone else is, adding to the information provided here on this topic.

4 members found this post helpful.

Down Yonder, poor kids often don't have a lot of activities to chose from. If he didn't play football, he would end up sitting in the room that he shares with his sibling and parents or hanging out on the streets with kids who are getting themselves into trouble. Many of the families I see share an apartment or house with other families. They line the floor of the family bedroom with multiple mattresses. School and school sports are the only pleasant part of the day for these kids. I wish the parents had money and insurance, but it is hard to spend $1000 per month on health insurance if the family breadwinner earns $8 per hour and rent for their room in the shared apartment is $500 per month. Just because a child is born into an impoverished family, he shouldn't have to do without basic health care for his broken bones.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    Personally, I don't want OBAMACARE! I like our united healthcare. I have lots of medical issues and united healthcare can't even completely cover them. So where on earth is this money for this program supposed to come from? Do I believe in helping people? Yes, but you can't help every person in the world. It will never happen. Even places with government health care have issues. Its not all fun and games. I already have to wait over 1 week to see my OBGYN when I have serious issues going on. And I don't even get to see an OBGYN, I have to see a nurse first! The hospitals are so overbooked that it takes weeks or even months to get in and see a REAL doctor. To think that that many people can just walk into a hospital and get help is just insane. When will the hospitals have tim to deal with them? There aren't enough doctors coming out of college and residency programs to fill these spots. To me, it sounds like a complete mess. I don't understand how this is supposed to get done.
    Yeah! There are already too many people seeking healthcare! All those damn uninsured people should just lay down and die of whatever their poor people problems are so that I can see a doctor when I want to! Not all people deserve to see doctors, after all.

Okay, I'm sorry for the snark, but that's really how your post read to me. Hopefully not what you meant, because yikes.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

15 members found this post helpful.

Morganjumper, we are already paying for those people. A few months ago, I saw a boy who fell down the stairs at home and broke his forearm. He went to the ER. They xrayed him but he didn't see an ortho or get a splint because he is uninsured. I saw him a day later, when the teenager was crying due to the pain. The unsplinted fracture was knocked out of place, and his arm was crooked. I sent him back to the ER. Ortho was called in from home and it was put back into place and splinted under anesthesia. The simple fracture that would have cost a few dollars to splint, now needed major work and a multi thousand dollar bill. Now, the costs were high enough for Medicaid/the taxpayer to pay. If this kid had Obamacare, the cost would have been minimal because he would have been splinted right away and the fracture would have stayed in place. Since he was uninsured, the taxpayer paid big bucks for him to get poor care. If it is well run, Obamacare will save us money. Insured kids get their fractures cared for and don't go to the ER for diaper rash. We can save taxpayer money if we do this right.

14 members found this post helpful.

Take a look into our military healthcare system, the quality of care provided and the LACK of happy patients. This is what our health care system is going to mirror with Obamacare.

I foresee a lot more "boutique" type practices opening up in the future.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    I completely agree with you. I think a lot of people are missing the point about this whole subject. Where is the money going to come from to pay for all of these people to get health insurance? Who is going to pay for this?
    We already do pay for it, in a very inefficient manner, use of ERs, delayed treatment resulting in higher costs etc. W e pay for it already

They are estimating it will cost every tax payer that makes 250K+ a year an extra 5k a year in taxes. I don't know about you but my family can't really afford to pay that
    Who is they?

are you in the > 250 K bracket? if so, I don't feel sorry for you or think you can't afford it (by the way, I am in that bracket)
    .Personally, I don't want OBAMACARE! I like our united healthcare.
    So stay with it, you have the choice!

I have lots of medical issues and united healthcare can't even completely cover them.
    So where on earth is this money for this program supposed to come from? Do I believe in helping people? Yes, but you can't help every person in the world.
    how about every person in this country? Do you really believe that there are people in this country that do not deserve access to health care?

It will never happen. Even places with government health care have issues. Its not all fun and games. I already have to wait over 1 week to see my OBGYN when I have serious issues going on. And I don't even get to see an OBGYN, I have to see a nurse first!
    very true, so your care is already rationed

The hospitals are so overbooked that it takes weeks or even months to get in and see a REAL doctor. To think that that many people can just walk into a hospital and get help is just insane.
    My European and Canadian relatives don't think so, they think it is insane that we can't get care when we need it. but it wouldn't be just walking into a hospital, it would be effectively utilizing primary care.

When will the hospitals have tim to deal with them? There aren't enough doctors coming out of college and residency programs to fill these spots. To me, it sounds like a complete mess. I don't understand how this is supposed to get done.
    the current package is not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction. One of the important steps is to spread cost out to everyone, so we all pay less in the long run. It's also a good start to a better system. the previous one was terrible

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Yeah! There are already too many people seeking healthcare! All those damn uninsured people should just lay down and die of whatever their poor people problems are so that I can see a doctor when I want to! Not all people deserve to see doctors, after all.

Okay, I'm sorry for the snark, but that's really how your post read to me. Hopefully not what you meant, because yikes.
    I also have United Health Care and have had no issue with getting care.

However I do support universal coverage though not single payer.

There has to be a better way than to have uninsured people going to the ER for minor issues. The ER is NOT the place to treat a sore throat. It's better treated in a doctor's office or urgent care clinic but they want an insurance card or credit card up front.

Maybe if people had health insurance they would be checked for diabetes or high blood pressure or high cholesterol BEFORE they had a heart attack.

Just please god not single payer
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

2 members found this post helpful.

We don't have enough family practice/general practitioners. The money is in the specialties, so that's where the bulk of the doctors went, into specialties.

I work for a multi-facility ambulatory care facility. Our business model currently is to see a fee-for-service patient on their first visit for $155.00. Follow ups are $55. On a given day one of our two-doc shops will see 140+ patients between 8-6. Most are insured, many are not.

Think about that volume: 140 patients, two doctors, 10 hour day. 7 days a week.

Now open the doors to everyone being 'covered'.

We cannot find enough doctors to hire to meet demand.

They don't exist.

As for the doctor that 'had' to join a group...any doctor who didn't participate in Meaningful Use to help pay for their EMR was burying their head in the sand. The Government has a program in place, that's been in place for years, to help offset the cost of converting to EMRs. But lots of doctors were too stubborn or willful or cheap or bullheaded to participate. Medicare is making you convert, and Medicare rules the reimbursement party. And time is running out on the program. That's no one's fault but their own.

6 members found this post helpful.

My boyfriend works as a surgical assist. He, as well as nearly all of the doctors, are against Obamacare. Many doctors have already refused or turned away people on medicare and I believe more and more are going to do so. What is the federal government going to do about that? Likely force physicians to take anyone on medicare. And how is that okay, taking away the rights of the doctors who worked hard to earn their position?

If you ever had to go to the ER before, you know how awful those waits can be. So imagine the ER rooms with Obamacare. People are going to be rushing to the hospital because their stomach hurts, leaving those who still need to be seen suffering in the waiting room. Simply, our hospitals will not be able to meet demand, nor will they be able to afford to increase the number of doctors or employees. And who's going to be paying for all those upset stomachs, sore throats, broken fingernails? We are.

Quote Originally Posted by HorsePlayyy View Post
    My boyfriend works as a surgical assist. He, as well as nearly all of the doctors, are against Obamacare. Many doctors have already refused or turned away people on Medicare and I believe more and more are going to do so. What is the federal government going to do about that? Likely force physicians to take anyone on Medicare. And how is that okay, taking away the rights of the doctors who worked hard to earn their position?

If you have ever had to go to the ER before, you know how awful those waits can be. So imagine the ER rooms with Obamacare. People are going to be rushing to the hospital because their stomach hurts, leaving those who still need to be seen suffering in the waiting room. And who's going to be paying for all those upset stomachs, sore throats, broken fingernails? We are.
    That's what happens now. With Universal health care, A person goes to the primary care provider and keeps the ER doing what the ER should be doing.....

8 members found this post helpful.

This is a one of our government handy dandy money saving tools that I have used in the past, as have many of my friends:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...ms/telehealth/

From young children with fevers (that's why I had called, several times!), chest pains, rashes, etc., many sometimes just need a quick phone call with an RN to determine if you can self-care, GP or ER. It's helped me to avoid calling my doctor or heading to the ER.

And I'm not sure people always need to see a REAL doctor.. a qualified medical professional often times works just as well - PA's, nurse practitioners, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HorsePlayyy View Post
    My boyfriend works as a surgical assist. He, as well as nearly all of the doctors, are against Obamacare. Many doctors have already refused or turned away people on Medicare and I believe more and more are going to do so. What is the federal government going to do about that? Likely force physicians to take anyone on Medicare. And how is that okay, taking away the rights of the doctors who worked hard to earn their position?

If you have ever had to go to the ER before, you know how awful those waits can be. So imagine the ER rooms with Obamacare. People are going to be rushing to the hospital because their stomach hurts, leaving those who still need to be seen suffering in the waiting room. And who's going to be paying for all those upset stomachs, sore throats, broken fingernails? We are.
    Uninsured people ARE using the ER for primary care. They can't be turned away untreated. And the people who HAVE insurance foot their bill. How is that right?

I have been to the ER three times, for emergencies.

First one my mom had a seizure and was brought in by ambulance. She was seen before I got to the ER, not 5 min behind her.

Second trip, daughter suddenly announced she couldn't see. I drove her in while Mr P called ahead. We went in the door and were seen right away, our butts didn't so much as touch a chair in the waiting room.

Third trip, my broken ankle, 5 min wait. Mr P. called ahead, drove me in, they put me in a wheel chair in front of the door to the treatment area, at the head of the line. (The ER doc was quite impressed with my iced and padded wrap)

This is a level 2 trauma center, one of the busiest in the state.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Uninsured people ARE using the ER for primary care. They can't be turned away untreated. And the people who HAVE insurance foot their bill. How is that right?

I have been to the ER three times, for emergencies.

First one my mom had a seizure and was brought in by ambulance. She was seen before I got to the ER, not 5 min behind her.

Second trip, daughter suddenly announced she couldn't see. I drove her in while Mr P called ahead. We went in the door and were seen right away, our butts didn't so much as touch a chair in the waiting room.

Third trip, my broken ankle, 5 min wait. Mr P. called ahead, drove me in, they put me in a wheel chair in front of the door to the treatment area, at the head of the line. (The ER doc was quite impressed with my iced and padded wrap)

This is a level 2 trauma center, one of the busiest in the state.
    You went in 3 times with legit emergencies so of course you went to the front of the line. The uninsured parent whose kid has had a sore throat for three days and the junkie looking to score more pain pills do eventually get treated - after sitting in the waiting room for hours until the legit emergencies are handled.

Triage, how does it work?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I wonder how many would be for or against this same program if it had been called Romneycare?
    I think Massachusetts has that now and while not perfect it seems to work. Health care cost in this country are more than twice per person of the next most expensive country Norway. In 2007 the US spent about 2.2 trillion dollars on health care. (see http://www.kff.org/insurance/7670.cfm). That makes our health care costs about the 6th largest economy in the world. We have to make changes as this is not sustainable in my opinion.

3 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=DownYonder;6657094]Sorry to sound snarky, but I can't help but wonder why is he playing a high contact sport like football if he has no health insurance.

There are alot of people on this BB that ride and don't have health ins. Are you aware of that? Are they suppose to give up their horses just because they don't meet your defination of responsible?

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post

Well, clearly they're just handing out non-physically demanding jobs with awesome insurance to people who don't have college degrees, left and right! *eyeroll* BTW, I wasn't hurt on the job (if I had been then worker's comp would have been at play), so your point is moot.

PS - $3,000 was only the deposit. They got in there and decided I needed a titanium plate and a bone graft. I'm sure it's well into the 5 figures at this point. I'm glad for you that you can afford it. Yahtzee to you.

5 members found this post helpful.