The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDevo View Post
    PS. I'm heartened by these responses - maybe there is hope after all. Dancer, I completely agree on the taxation issue. I'd be perfectly happy to go to a national sales tax if we could eliminate the rest of them.
    Have you tried to READ the tax code? I know capital gains and dividend because I have to pay them (Mitt shouldn't be paying 15%, he should be paying nothing on that--we already paid taxes on that money AND risked it to the benefit of the economy.) I'm TRYING to figure out the small-business rules and I may have to, for the first time in my life, give up and use a tax preparer. It's mindboggling how many rules and regulations there are...yes, sales tax would raise my personal cost of living, but the money it would save me on tax preparation and in time wasted would be completely worth it. (Besides, then if you want to pay less, you spend less. Perfectly fair and under your control.)

3 members found this post helpful.

How about this:

If you don't have health insurance, and can't afford to buy (loss of job, whatever), you can apply to the state or fed government(haven't thought that through yet) for money to go out and buy in the private market.

Cannot be denied for a preexisting condition (keep that)

Be able to buy insurance across state lines

Institute real tort reform

I am thinking about how to address the people who won't buy health insurance until they need it. Don't love the current idea, but I don't know if there is a better one.

I agree everyone should be covered I am just creeped out with the government as everyones' insurer as it would be with single payer. That's why I thought of the funds that way you can buy from who you want, and if you could buy anywhere it would make the insurance companies more competitive for your business.

Whoever had the idea about introducing bills without identifying a party, that's brilliant.

Mostly I do truly hope that Obama does not continue with the "we won", defeated the other side", and truly govern us as one, those who voted for him, and those who didn't. I didn't vote for him, and today is not a happy day for me, but I really want to hope that he will reach out, and try to find a place in the middle.

plus, everything danceronice said

2 members found this post helpful.

That's another one, why can I not buy any insurance I want and can pay for? I live near Indiana, it would make sense for me to use hospitals in South Bend. Related in health care, Medicare needs to be completely overhauled. Sunset the people over retirement age (should be 65, not 55 like the Ryan plan) but eliminate the system and create a new one that involves fewer recipients and less complicated billing. It was never meant to be a system for EVERYONE and raises costs for doctors.

Most entitlements have to go--politicians use them as bribes and bargaining chips for voters.

vasectomies at birth for every baby boy born in america regardless of financial standing. you're' shocked i know, but this will insure no accidental pregnancies so less abortions, babies born addicted, unwanted, etc.
    this will make every single baby a WANTED baby and dramatically decrease the welfare and foster programs within a single generation.
    of course people will still have babies, but down the road it will be an intentional baby, not an oops or a means to a bigger monthly check.

separate health insurance from employment
    this will free up businesses to run their businesses.

simplify tax code

that oughta make a difference!

I disagree on single payer health care. It will cost all of us much more in the long run, and some of us a whole lot more in the short run. My insurance premiums are up 25% last year alone, and the excise tax on benefits will cost me another 10% of my income. I'm strongly considering dropping it altogether, paying the penalty and signing up only if I need it.
    I know that you believe that single payer will cost more, but why? Other countries with single payer spend much less with health care with much better results.

As far as dropping your insurance, paying a penalty, then buying insurance when you need it, well, that's a big chance I don't think I'd be taking. Let's suppose you have a heart attack. That first week could cost you $200,000. Pretty hard to sign up for insurance when you're in ICU and insurance is not retroactive.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

1) One campaign fund for all candidates as well as XX minutes of non-cable TV, to be used as the candidate wishes (ads, interviews, etc.). Nothing more; if you can't budget campaign funds to get your point across, you don't deserve to handle the American economy.

2) Single item bills; no pork, no twisting a "funds for xyz arts" bill into covering twenty other items that have zero relation. Simplifying what a congressman is voting on and what a President is signing should hurry things along and removes the "I had to vote for X because it meant funds for Y" excuses. Also will simplify checking your Congressman's record; you will know exactly how they voted on what.

3) Raise taxes and reform the tax structure (flat, VAT, sales tax, something different). Every other country that has health care and all these items we feel we must have to move forward pay more in taxes. We need to suck it up and get on with it.

4) All Congressmen will be docked for missing votes (can't do the job you were elected for? Too bad.) except in cases of disaster. Congress must immediately join the public health plan, and have the same retirement structure as other Federal employees.

5) Cut all funding to countries that are actively anti-American, and work to cut funding to other countries; we are struggling at home, and have to be able to help ourselves before we can help others at the rate we currently are.

6) Immigration. Illegal immigrants detained and sent back; we can then let in those who have been trying and waiting to immigrate the right, lawful way. Send 10 illegals back, allow 10 (or less, or more, whatever) law-abiding immigrants in. We have plenty of servicemen coming home, use them to secure our own borders.

7) Require a certain number of community service hours or enlistment in the military for high-school graduation. We need to rebuild a sense of community.

I'm sure there is plenty more I could think of....

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    How about this:
    Whoever had the idea about introducing bills without identifying a party, that's brilliant.
    That would be pretty difficult. They do talk to one another, you know.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Trying to be positive here - wasn't my idea, and did you need to make the snarky statement?
    Come on we're trying to find things we can agree on, move forward with. Why not suggest an improvement?

Was there a need to say "they do talk to each other you know". Yes, I got that, in fact I do notice that when I walk around the rotunda in the building.

Geez
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    That would be pretty difficult. They do talk to one another, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDevo View Post
    PS. I'm heartened by these responses - maybe there is hope after all. Dancer, I completely agree on the taxation issue. I'd be perfectly happy to go to a national sales tax if we could eliminate the rest of them.
    I agree about the national sales tax.
    "I'm a loner, and a loner's got to be alone." Geiko

The state-line one kills me. I lived in a state that regulated insurance for EVERYTHING, not just health care, and tried government-mandated coverage or else (why yes, I lived on Romneycare, and it was a BIG reason I initially supported and still support Herman Cain rather than going for Romney earlier). Everything cost more. A LOT more. It was a big motivator to leave the state by any means necessary. I can now choose for my car, my house, and anything else I want to insure, from all the discount carriers and the 'big' names (I'm with Geico on the car now, though considering switching to Progressive, neither of which were an option in Massachusetts when I lived there because it cost them too much to operate in the state.) Why can I not get health insurance from them? Competition lowers prices and creates more options for everything else, regulation limits choices and raises costs. I already lived it. Why would it be different for health insurance? LESS regulation, not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I SO want to get rid of ALL political parties and only ONE fund equally distributed between candidates. That would help deal with Citizens United, so some anonymous billionaire could only contribute to all.
    Even if we don't get rid of the political parties, but just divide the money equally among all candidates (including Libertarian, Green, etc.), I believe that will single handedly improve our country drastically.

I had an interesting discussion last night about the Republican Party. Going back to basics, I would probably vote republican most of the time. But they have gone so extreme on religious issues (what ever happened to church and state?), that I just CANNOT vote for most candidates. I know I'm not alone. My question was "the extremist Republicans are always going to vote republican no matter what, so why don't candidates campaign for those moderate votes?" Well the sad answer is money. If they're not against abortion, same sex marriage, and a variety of other issues, they won't have the financial backing to campaign!

That's stupid.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Immigration can be a relatively easy fix. If they can't get a job, they won't come. HUGE fines for anyone employing them. $12,000/illegal worker for the first offense. $36,0000./worker for the 2nd offense, ...... I don't think there would be a 3rd offense.

Absolutely NO profit, direct or incorrect be permitted from public service other than basic salary.

How about some things we as individuals can do? Think how big a difference we could make if all of us actually spent within our means. And then, mabe once we got used to the idea, we could demand it of our leaders... but no federal budget can be balanced if our own checkbooks aren't.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonders12 View Post
    Even if we don't get rid of the political parties, but just divide the money equally among all candidates (including Libertarian, Green, etc.), I believe that will single handedly improve our country drastically.

I had an interesting discussion last night about the Republican Party. Going back to basics, I would probably vote republican most of the time. But they have gone so extreme on religious issues (what ever happened to church and state?), that I just CANNOT vote for most candidates. I know I'm not alone. My question was "the extremist Republicans are always going to vote republican no matter what, so why don't candidates campaign for those moderate votes?" Well the sad answer is money. If they're not against abortion, same sex marriage, and a variety of other issues, they won't have the financial backing to campaign!

That's stupid.
    It's very sad that the moderates in this country are not supported. Particularly the moderate Republicans (i.e., Scott Brown in MA) but the moderate Democrats as well. I tend to be a social liberal yet fiscally conservative, but candidates cannot be successful on that type of platform anymore.

If we started to support more moderates in this country, I think we would find an answer to all the gridlock in Washington.

Political parties are Constitutionally protected (see the First Amendment).

My right to know who proposed what and why is also Constitutionally protected (see the First Amendment).

Public financing is a dicey issue because if you limit an incumbent and a challenger to the same amount that gives the incumbent a natural advantage.

All political parties presently compete in a fundamentally unregulated market. That market should remain as unregulated as possible. If advantages to the two major parties exist they should be eliminated (for those who are interested I suggest you read up on your state's initiative and referendum laws). People should be free to organize as they wish. See the First Amendment.

Parties should also be allowed to raise and spend what they wish. See the First Amendment.

The Constitution leaves much of this activity at the state level. Activists take note.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

is too many citizens focus on a few issues for each election. The focus on this board has been women's reproductive rights, same sex rights and tax the rich. Think about it.
    I do. Women's reproductive rights are THE most important issue FOR ME and for most women- if you make laws that control my reproduction and my body, aka force me to have a baby I don't want, that affects me, personally, radically, dramatically, much more than any other "issue" you can possibly bring up. Far more important than tax reform, the economy, or even health care.

Most people just want to quietly live their lives free of interference from the government AND from other people, don't they? they want a job, they want to do their stuff, they don't want much else.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    vasectomies at birth for every baby boy born in america regardless of financial standing. you're' shocked i know, but this will insure no accidental pregnancies so less abortions, babies born addicted, unwanted, etc.
    this will make every single baby a WANTED baby and dramatically decrease the welfare and foster programs within a single generation.
    No, what it will do is eliminate the human race! The successful reversal rate for vasectomies PLUMETS after a year and is practically non-existent after 5 years.

How about removing all government interference in what happens within someone's home? Yep, talking about marriage. Government should only enforce the contract of marriage, not the sanctity. If a person or people are legally able to enter into a government-enforced contract, they should so be allowed to do it regardless of whether that contract is for the sale of a puppy, the formation of a business, or a marriage. Let people live their lives! Added benefit of stimulating the economy in terms of the wedding industry!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Absolutely NO profit, direct or incorrect be permitted from public service other than basic salary.
    FWIW Mr P worked for the government at one time. There were restrictions on outside compensation.
    Here's a sample....the regs are complex
    http://www.oge.gov/Topics/Outside-Em...---Activities/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Well, this oughta get me a huge number of thumbs-down! But you did ask, so here goes:

1. Nationalize our gas and oil resources. It's working GREAT for Brazil - their economy is booming b/c of it. Oil and gas produced in the USA have to STAY in the USA, and only when there's a clear surplus does it get sold on the open market.

2. Ban commodities trading in gas and oil in order to stabilize prices.

3. 21st Amendment to overturn Citizens United and institute a cap on campaign finance.

4. RAISE the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour. (That'll get people off Welfare.) Institute a national sales tax to pay for it.

5. Mega tax reform. Close ALL loopholes for corporations but also lower the corp. tax (which really *is* the highest in the Western world) a good bit, from its present 30-whatever to somewhere around 15-18% (I'd go lower if I had to). Same with tax rates on millionaires.

6. Reinstate Glass-Steagall in its entirety and put some bankers in JAIL. Make it hurt.

7. Single-payer for all. Get rid of Medicaid and Medicare. We're headed that way anyway, but let's just call it what it is.

8. Legalize it. We need the revenue.

9. Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine.

10. 22nd Amendment: equal rights for ALL Americans.

11. Tax the churches, irrespective of whether they play politics or not. Just TAX them.

12. Repeal the NDAA. How that even *happened* is just mind-boggling.

13. Immigration reform, comprehensive. Make it so that it does NOT cost $50,000.00 in attorney's fees to come and live here legally if you want to.

14. Get rid of the electoral college, thus opening the door for a meaningful third party.

Had enough yet?? I hope this post, if it does nothing else, serves as a friendly reminder to the loyal opposition of exactly how conservative the President really is. It always cracks me up when you call him a Socialist. IF ONLY. He's what used to be called a moderate Republican...

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by War Admiral; Nov. 7, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: kant spel
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

5 members found this post helpful.