The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Guess I am in the minority as well. MJ is still a federal crime. I personally believe MJ is a gateway drug to other drugs.

For those in Colorado, this was not a law. It was an amendment to the state constitution. Laws are relatively easy to change. Amendments are much harder to change. I am at the point that I rarely vote to amend the constitution for this very reason.

For those who believe that our jails are full of MJ violators, that is not true. In my county the jail doesn't have room for the petty violators. They might be arrested but that does not equate to be jailed. And before you say that we should then legalize pot, we also rarely jail DUI because there is no room for those either. Think we should legalize driving drunk?

In reading the actual amendment, I believe it reads that medical MJ will not be subject to the excise tax while recreational MJ will be taxed. The consumer will be paying the cost of the tax. If I can get a scrip for MMJ (and they sure sound easy to get now) why would I pay for recreational pot with the associated additional cost.

In this state, failing the roadsides results in being asked if you want a breath or blood test. Breath is only checking for alcohol, not drugs. Blood I believe is also only going to be checked for alcohol. The amendment says driving under the influence is illegal but I didn't see anything that called for LE how it shall be detected or what will be illegal vs not legal.

i also saw that localities must identify the entity that will process applications and issue licenses. This smells strongly of another unfounded mandate put upon localities that are already cash poor.

Nope, not sorry I voted no on this amendment.

1 members found this post helpful.

The real beneficiaries of this will be (as usual) the lawyers.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

While I rarely smoke (can't stand the feeling in my throat) I support legalization. I agree that MJ is much less detrimental then either alcohol or tobacco and there are some great revenue benefits to be had rather then just costs of trying to clamp down on it.

However I do agree with other posters that there are wrinkles that need ironing out. Not having a roadside blood test is a concern, if use is going to be regulated then you need to have monitoring and enforcement mechanisms in place ESPECIALLY for driving. Whoever said "most people just want to sit around and veg, they're not going anywhere" that is completely unfounded with absolutely no data to back it up. In HS the majority of my friends spent their friday and saturday nights getting stoned and driving aimlessly around ("hotboxing" their cars) because weed was much easier to get their hands on then alcohol.

While weed can have bad brain development effects on minors, I'm in the camp that you can only do so much to prevent them from getting their hands on it. Kids will do what they want, just like sex, alcohol, and tobacco all parents can hope to do is educate them best they can and hope that the kids make smart decisions!

I'm pretty excited to see how this legalization goes! Fingers crossed there aren't any major screw ups so that the rest of the nation can try to follow suite in a few years!!

If you ask 100 hard drug user if they use or have used MJ 100 will say yes. Of you ask 100 people who use or have used MJ if they have done hard drugs the numbers aremuch much much lower. The whole gateway drug thing is a scare tactic.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    If you ask 100 hard drug user if they use or have used MJ 100 will say yes. Of you ask 100 people who use or have used MJ if they have done hard drugs the numbers aremuch much much lower. The whole gateway drug thing is a scare tactic.
    I very much agree with that. If anything is truly a gateway drug in our society it's alcohol.

And honestly... people who abuse drugs (illegal or prescription) and alcohol? Sadly, they're going to do it anyway, it doesn't matter what the law is. I think we all learned that lesson during prohobition.

5 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs down

The drug tests I do at work rarely show positive JUST for MJ. It is usually in combo with at least one other.

It will be just another tool to sedate the masses so they don't care if they lose their personal rights and insure they vote for those who will give them their escape of choice. Obviously it is working.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    The drug tests I do at work rarely show positive JUST for MJ. It is usually in combo with at least one other.
    Out of curiosity, what else do you test for?
    Dreaming in Color

Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Benzodiazepines, Phenobarbital ,Barbiturate, Amphetamines ,THC. I think that's it there maybe one more. I haven't had to name them off in awhile.
    They come dragging in late Sunday Morning and into the afternoon. I work weekends. Also in the middle of the night.

If choosing to use alcohol and tobacco are 'rights' in this country I don't see why recreational drug use shouldn't be as well. Many of the things about drug use that harm those other than the user ( like the violence of the drug trade and the tax burden of the war on drugs) would be minimized by legalization.

I would argue that voting for legalization is a vote FOR individual rights and personal freedom.

And if you think that drug use is limited to one party or political viewpoint , you are sorely mistaken.