The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Melatonin for dogs

Anyone use this? I'm think for a very senior dog whose normal rhythms are clearly no longer, um, normal.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

I have used it for my storm sensitive dog. If I is windy or storming at night he just won't relax or sleep. I was facing giving him harder drugs from the vet but decided o try melatonin. It's a lifesaver!!!!

Just a tiny amount (he's a chi) in some goat cheese and we all get some shut eye. Have not experienced any side effects either. Just be sure not to use chewable or any sort of flavored stuff.
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

1 members found this post helpful.

I've used for a dog that was scared of thunder. Dosage for a healthy dog with no medical problems is 1 mg per 20 lbs of body weight, up to 3 mg. Giant breeds like mastiffs can get up to 6 mg.

My Dobe bitch gets 6mg every morning...she's a blue with CDA so the melatonin is for hair growth. As I said she gets it in the morning and it in NO WAY puts her to sleep or even makes her drowsy!!!

I tried taking it myself, and it didn't do anything- even a hefty dose didn't make me feel sleepy at all, or seem to regulate anything. So I'm doubtful it would do anything for a dog.
    on the other hand it appears to be quite safe, so you could try it and see.

I take it when my mind seems to be racing at night. Seems to work and it is safe so y not
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Thanks guys! COTH always has the answers. I often take very minute doses for myself (I guess starting early and small is a common req now) for sleep and that works a lot better for me than taking, say 3mg at 9:30pm. I will stay under 1mg/20lb and see if it helps! Sweet ol' guy...wish they could just stay healthy forever.

I might be a cylon

HillNDale, what is your old dog doing, and when?

I've had old dogs with what in humans is called "Sundowners"....old greyhound got very confused at night, anxious, paced, panted, etc., but then was much better in the AM.

The melatonin seems like it would be worth a try....wonder if Clonicalm would help (SSRI)?

Yea, basically like that. Still fairly mild, but just has a very hard time settling in right when he should be settling in. Once he does go to sleep, he's fine and sleep until I get up. He has some arthritis pain which is otherwise managed - somewhat. The clomicalm is a good suggestion actually at this point. Maybe I'll keep that on the back burner. But I'll try a little melatonin this evening and see if that helps.

I might be a cylon

Our vet recommended melatonin for our dog with thunder phobia. So long as we get it into him before he starts to totally freak, it seems to take the edge off. On melatonin, he seeks out one of his comfy spots and will sometimes shake during a storm. Without melatonin, he pants and shakes like crazy and frantically darts around the house.

We use melatonin for our greyhound. Originally started it for hair growth and then kept it up because it seemed to help her during storms and such. She's 75 lbs and either gets the 3mg or 5mg with her evening meal, depending on what's available at the store. She's not had any issues with getting too drowsy, though some dogs do. Vets, the internet, and my pharmacist aunt say it's an extremely safe supplement, so it's worth a shot. I've also read that the excess your body doesn't need doesn't get used (like if you have copious amounts of vitamin C), so giving too much shouldn't be dangerous, just might add drowsiness.

Worth a try = )