The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I actually disagree with him, and think we need to get a person who is half black/half hispanic on the Republican ticket next election. As long as they don't bring up abortions , I guarantee you that they'd get elected.
    Ugh, you are something else!

5 members found this post helpful.

My most fervent hope is that the Republican Party has, as a whole, learned something from this election and that it stops pandering to what I see as a very vocal minority that has dragged the party that I have been affiliated with for decades so far to the right that even someone like me cannot support it.

We are not the party of money above all else. We are not the party of hatred and bigotry. We are the Party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. We are the party who, at one time, favored equality for all, and the preservation of all of the natural wonders that our country was so generously gifted with. We are better than the world sees us as being.

I am another who wishes that my party had looked seriously at John Huntsman. I didn't agree with all he stood for, but he was upright, honest and willing to listen to what everyone had to say, and try to forge the best path for America. He would not have pandered to the far right, as the other GOP candidates so shamelessly did -- yes, I include Romney among them. I am glad that so many of the extremists were defeated yesterday. They are not who we are. They are not who I am.

Republicans have many good ideas. Government needs to listen to what they are saying and seriously consider many of the fiscal reforms that they are proposing. Unfortunately, right now, all that is being drowned out by the hate-mongering that is garnering all of the attention.

I want to vote Republican again, dammit! Or, at least, I want to have an honest and viable choice presented to me.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

9 members found this post helpful.

For every link posted that is supposed to support the liberal beliefe that all Reps are racists, I could post a billion that display the opposite. That would still not convince them that the beliefs they hold on to are completely not true.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    For every link posted that is supposed to support the liberal beliefe that all Reps are racists, I could post a billion that display the opposite. That would still not convince them that the beliefs they hold on to are completely not true.
    You might want to start with encouraging Jetsmom to stop posting racist things on a BB.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Marriage is not a basic human right. Life, ability to own property, an ability to live your life without being physically attacked by someone, able to live your life as you see fit without impeding on another's ability to the same; these are basic human rights.

I'm pro-gay marriage for what it's worth. But the ability to get a marriage certificate is not a basic human right.
    The Supreme Court has said otherwise. See Loving v. Virginia.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I just don't want to hear any complaining in the next 4 years. You elected him. Deal with the consequences
    This the attitude that is the key to the country's problems. You didn't want him re-elected but instead of accepting the decision of your fellow American's and be willing to encourage honest and productive debate you'd rather act like a spoiled child. If there's no immediate benefit for you why participate in the work that has to be done to get this country back on track.

The selfishness and lack of responsibility in our society is the reason why it WON'T get better no matter who is in the White House.

18 members found this post helpful.

And they try to turn around a post where someone wishes for a republican pres nominee that is half black/half Hispanic, as being racist... Newsflash...being racist would be NOT wanting a NonAnglo candidate. I figure if we had a minority candidate, we would get votes from minority groups that don't feel the current republican party is inclusive...And everyone would be forced to vote based on the issues...

2 members found this post helpful.

. The truth is most conservatives are not racist, and there's probably an equal number of racists in each party.
    Not something I have generally had much feeling on, until last night. I was watching the R/R headquarters on the live stream and suddenly it dawned on me that there was not a single white person. I kid you not. After I noticed, I watched for 20 mins specifically to count how many non-white people I saw - none! So then I flicked over to the O/B live stream and was struck by the total mish-mash of colours and shapes - white, Asian, black, hispanic - everyone.

Now, that in itself doesn't say that all Republicans are racist, however does indeed represent perhaps what the feeling is about non-white and republicans together.

Also, looking at the exit polls today, only 7% of the African-Americans that voted, voted republican. The numbers are slightly higher for Hispanic, but not much.

This begs the question - is it the non-white people who are racist voting by race? or do the republican policies impact non-white people more than white people and therefore they don't vote that way? or is the republican party racist. I don't know the answer, but the statistics are interesting.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    The Supreme Court has said otherwise. See Loving v. Virginia.
    The couple in question from that court case was absolutely were denied their basic human rights. They were incarcerated for being an interracial couple. There's so much more to that case than just marriage.

A Marriage Certificate is not a basic human right. The ability to choose who you share your bedroom with (as long as both parties, or hey even multiple parties are consenting adults) is a basic human right.

The Supreme Court shouldn't have made that case solely around the marriage license issue.

Again I feel the need to add the disclaimer that I am for Gay Marriage and I always vote for Gay Marriage when it comes up in my state.

1 members found this post helpful.

And they try to turn around a post where someone wishes for a republican pres nominee that is half black/half Hispanic, as being racist... Newsflash...being racist would be NOT wanting a NonAnglo candidate. I figure if we had a minority candidate, we would get votes from minority groups that don't feel the current republican party is inclusive...And everyone would be forced to vote based on the issues...
    Well, he tried
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk2ExIR_T2o
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Please do post some. If you can post a billion then it shouldn't be hard to just post, say, 10?

I just wish all the hate and name-calling would end....on this board and in this life.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Please do post some. If you can post a billion then it shouldn't be hard to just post, say, 10?
    Sorry, those links are not really fit for general BB viewing.

The couple in question from that court case was absolutely were denied their basic human rights. They were incarcerated for being an interracial couple. There's so much more to that case than just marriage.

A Marriage Certificate is not a basic human right. The ability to choose who you share your bedroom with (as long as both parties, or hey even multiple parties are consenting adults) is a basic human right.

The Supreme Court shouldn't have made that case solely around the marriage license issue.

Again I feel the need to add the disclaimer that I am for Gay Marriage and I always vote for Gay Marriage when it comes up in my state.
    I think that so much is stuck on the word "marriage". In reality, I am absolutely for equal rights - is that marriage, or civil partnership, or another name? I think it's totally wrong that a couple who are together for 40 years, but can't get married because they are the same sex, are then denied any rights when the other one dies, or can't get onto healthcare plan of their partner, or can't get access to medical records or visit them when seriously ill in hospital because they are not "married". To me, that is the crux of the issue, it's the basic attainment of equal rights, even if the word to describe the contract is wrong.

Kate66, do you believe that all Republicans are racist? Honestly interested in your answer, not trying to be smart.

When was the last time you saw a bunch of people that fit the Republican demographic rioting because they didn't like the outcome of something??? Most of the time it is the demographic of those that support Obama...young, ignorant, illiterate,black, wanting free things..
    And while that isn't politically correct to say, it's true.
    Well, Jetsmom, I guess I was really referring more to the quote above from another thread as being just eeeevvvver so slightly racist. Just a touch. You know, reading between the lines and all...

6 members found this post helpful.

This is why I'm being so active on this post. I want to reach people who are maybe capable of going either way. I want to have a dialogue with y'all to share my thoughts and maybe change some minds.

I hate voting for lesser of two evils too. I don't think there's that much difference between many Republicans or Democrats because when it comes down to it they are almost all lifelong politicians. Their ultimate goal is to stay in power, not help you and me out.

Please everyone remember everyone has a bias and try to filter what is said through that bias. Ask questions, play devil's advocate and research for yourself.

To others reading my posts, if you don't like what I've said please tell me why so I can have a conversation with you. Maybe I won't convert you but I'd love to know what you think and have an opportunity to respond.
    I cannot for the life of me, imagine why anyone would give this post a thumb's down.

A random thought. Being that Romney is Mormon, do you think he believes in the "sanctity of marriage" as being " one woman, one man" or could it be "multiple woman, one man"?

:-)

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Not something I have generally had much feeling on, until last night. I was watching the R/R headquarters on the live stream and suddenly it dawned on me that there was not a single white person. I kid you not. After I noticed, I watched for 20 mins specifically to count how many non-white people I saw - none! So then I flicked over to the O/B live stream and was struck by the total mish-mash of colours and shapes - white, Asian, black, hispanic - everyone.

Now, that in itself doesn't say that all Republicans are racist, however does indeed represent perhaps what the feeling is about non-white and republicans together.

Also, looking at the exit polls today, only 7% of the African-Americans that voted, voted republican. The numbers are slightly higher for Hispanic, but not much.

This begs the question - is it the non-white people who are racist voting by race? or do the republican policies impact non-white people more than white people and therefore they don't vote that way? or is the republican party racist. I don't know the answer, but the statistics are interesting.
    It is a self-replicationg problem. The perception is that they are racist so why would Latinos or Black vote for the party that is perceived to be racist. So they don't participate in that party's events so it appear that there are no people of color involved in that party so obviously they are not welcoming to non-whites so they must be racist., etc. etc.

Allen West (who is black) was once a Democrat is now a big Tea Party member. Herman Cain (who is black) was a front-runner for the GOP nomination at one point. I personally know several conservative blacks.

I don't deny there are people who won't vote for Obama because he's black. But how many black people voted for him ONLY because he was black? Probably a lot more voted BECAUSE he was black than those that didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by spotteddrafter View Post
    I just wish all the hate and name-calling would end....on this board and in this life.
    We'd all be much better off, wouldn't we?