The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crying for your momma sick..been there?

About 3 weeks ago, I was diagnosed w/ pneumonia and was sick as a dog. I was off work for 10 days and even ended up in the ER. I thought I was better, was supposed to go in for another chest xray this week before I leave town.

I don't think I licked it. I was actually asleep just a few min ago, woke up coughing til I vomited, so now I have THAT to clean up. Plus I've been having chest pain this whole time. Feels like broken ribs honestly.

I don't have TIME for this. And I've been in denial. My alarm is set for 4am so I can do more work on the house before the showing tomorrow. I have to get the rest of the house packed up, steam clean the carpet in the basement (my dog has been ill and has had accidents) and just generally...do a lot of stuff.

I am near tears and called my momma. I'm 34 years old and called my MOM at 11pm because I'm sick sick sick. I feel like crap.

Tell me I am not the only grown up to do so.

BTW, she yelled at me. LOL It wasn't a comforting talk.

Off to clean up.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Some years back, I had a case of the flu.
    I'm talking influenza, not the " I have a stomach bug" where you feel better 24 h later.
    As in crawling on hands and knees to the fridge for orange juice. (I lived alone at the time.)

I wasn't crying for my mother, but I was praying for nuclear war, because I figured that would feel better.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Did that about 7 years ago. I know what you're talking about. This is not that bad. Just frustrating given the situation. I am not supposed to even BE HERE at this point. Grrr.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

I'm 31, almost 32, and I call my mom when I'm sick all the time. She's not always the most comforting person I know, but she is a nurse, and will tell me exactly what to do. And if I'm as sick as your describing, she comes to check on me and make sure my pets don't get neglected ("what do you mean you can't walk your dog?" "Mom, I can't even stand up without vomiting" "oh, alright. I'll be over in half an hour"). Someone needs to comfort you when you're sick!

My sister is 27 and has her own house. When she get sick - whether its just a bad cold or if she has mono - she comes over to our house (my parents). Mostly because we have a TV and she does not, but also for the tea we make her and the meals.

So a phone call? That isn't so bad.

Yes, in college. (Unbeknownst to me, it was the onset of what eventually became an autoimmune disease where I spent a week in the hospital in grad school.) Lead to one of our funnier phone conversations:

Mom: "What are you doing?"
    Me: "Lying on the couch. I'm watching 'Dark Shadows.' [On SciFi as-was.]"
    Mom: "You can't be watching 'Dark Shadows' in college! *I* was watching 'Dark Shadows' in college!"
    Me: "Yeah, but they weren't reruns then..."

Of course I also call my parents because I really never can decide to go to the doctor even if I need to. They once had to call the police because I fell off the face of the earth after making noise about driving myself to the hospital. (I did, and made it, the Waltham police paged me in the ER. I had a 102 fever and severe vomiting and dehydration.) Then again, even if I'm sick now, I have to work and do the chores because there's no one else to do them. I don't have time to be sick and unless I'm vomiting or have a problem at the other end, so to speak, I'm legally clear to work (restaurants only have to prohibit sick employees from working if they have vomiting/diarrhea, a food-borne illness, or Hepatitis A. Anything else is fine to handle food. You're welcome.)

However, never call your mom when you are call-your-mom-sick in the hospital, but are also wacked out on percocet and/or other painkillers. Especially if it's 1am. You'll feel better, but you won't make ANY sense.

You're not the only one, I'm just a year different in age than you, BuddyRoo. Just had my appendix out in the ER, and it sucked for almost 24 hours up to surgery and is still sucking in recovery (no one told me ahead of time they would blow up my abdomen like a basketball, holy crap that sucks).

My momma and even dad drove up to pick me up I hate asking for help, but when they suggested it this time, I admitted that it would be really great. She's been cleaning and helping with the cats, and I am so grateful. Thank goodness for good moms.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Oooo yes. A few years ago I had a really bad bout with food poisoning. Let's just say that my body was quite determined to get rid of every last bit of whatever it was I ate. I ended up in the ER because I could not keep anything down and passed out from dehydration in the car on the way to the regular doc's. Thankfully DH was a great nurse, but I did call my mom up (I was 29 at the time) and she offered to come up and take care of me so DH wouldn't have to miss work.

But that was a miserable, miserable day.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

We had a blizzard and had already been stranded over a week when I came down with pneumonia.
    I keep medication on hand and started taking it.
    I was going out to feed and break ice, getting beached in snow drifts, half passing out and barely making it to the barn and back twice a day.
    The phone line, before cell phones, had died, the wires probably broken in the blizzard and I was too sick to go find where and fix them.

My main worry was that if I didn't make it, my critters would have to rough it before someone would come check things out.

After that, I arranged so that would not be happening again.

I hope all those that feel sick can get some rest without worries.

BuddyRoo, the packing can wait a day or two, lung troubles are really not something you want to gloss over.
    Take care.

OMG. Yes. In college. I was far away from home (from IN, in college in Baltimore). I was so sick. I was in an apartment in a building that had just been taken over by the University and hadn't been converted to college housing yet, there were residents that still had leases to finish. I was a freshman and should have been in the dorms, but had applied late and no dorm room was left. So I ended up in a huge apt all by myself in a sturdy, vintage building where I was sure I couldn't even yell for help because no one would hear me!! It was in the early 80's and I didn't have a phone.... the only contact I had was using the building phone in the lobby... and I was sure I couldn't crawl to make it there to use it. I really wanted my Mommy.

Yep, been there. In grad school, I got quite ill. Around the 10th time I vomited in three hours, I attempted to call my parents to have someone reassure me that I'd be fine (which I knew logically, but having someone else say it can be nice). No dice - their cell phones were off. They were still off the next morning when I tried to call again, still sick. I finally got a hold of them midday and was told that they'd hooked up a land line phone a few weeks prior and were turning their cell phones off except when they were out of the house, but that they'd forgotten to tell me. I'm their only child and they forgot to mention that they got a new primary contact number. The situation taught me the very valuable lesson that I should never rely on being able to contact anyone to make me feel better. Okay, end of slightly bitter rant.

I don't think the urge to call a parent is unusual at all. I'm sorry your mother was unsympathetic, but don't let that push you into doing more than you should - you need as much rest as possible to get better!

I'm 48 years old and when the furnace died last week, I called my mother sobbing. She lives on the other side of the world (6 hour time difference) but I just needed to hear her tell me that I would be ok. You are not alone.

2 members found this post helpful.

The hands-down most winningest phone call to mom from the supposedly grown-up daughter is this:

I was Indonesia (Bali) doing ethnomusicological research. Literally living in the jungle. Walked 5 miles+ to get into town and use a computer to email people. Made it for nearly six weeks with only an upset stomach one night (miraculous for a Westerner in that part of the world). But then as we left the jungle to stay in a 4-star hotel on the coast our last three days, I came down with a 104 fever, couldn't keep down food, was delusional half the time. 'Twas not fun. I was allowed to call home since we were trying to figure out whether to sneak me on a plane home (amid the huge swine flu scare in the East) or be hospitalized there in Bali or South Korea.

Me greeting my mom: "Mom, good news, it's not dengue fever."
    My poor mother: "WHAT"

The phone was taken away from me at that point since I was deemed unfit for phone conversation. I made it home and am alive now! US doctors couldn't figure out what it was. I don't remember a couple weeks, but that's OK.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ugh, Pony +an inch, that sounds horrid! I had a similar experience when I moved to a Central American country right after college to teach English. My first night there was spent on the floor of the bathroom so I wouldn't have to move too far to get to the toilet. Then, I proceeded to spend the next THREE days in that bathroom. It had everything I needed...the toilet for all my oozing orifices, purified water in the sink (I was in a nicer house that had a purifier on all the sinks for us gringoes), towels to mop my ooozing face and to fold as pillows, and...eventually...a shower to get up and feel somewhat alive again.

The first thing I did when I crawled out of the bathroom was to call my mom and sob. I wanted to move back home so badly...but, she encouraged me, told me it would pass, and helped me feel like I could hang in there.

I live in ga, my parents are in Charleston sc most of the year. I was with my mom on vacation in Washington State when I got a melanoma diagnosis over the phone two days before I was to fly home. Then called my mom after the surgeon's consultation. I felt totally ridiculous saying yes when she offered to drive to me after my surgery- i usually just see my parents for ten days over new years and two other long weekends per year and i had just spent a whole week with her! But darnnit I was so happy to have my mom there! She also saved my sanity while I was locked in the house for days... MrB's parents' house actually. And lord love 'em but they are so different from my parents that it was tiring on another level!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

2 months ago I was in the hospital for meningitis, my husband tried to be as helpful as possible but it got to the point I broke down and told him all I wanted was my mom.
    Once I came home, she stayed with me the first night.
    My husband said I made him feel incompetent. I yelled at him and told him not to turn this into something about himself, Im the one that was sick

There is just something about mom when your sick, your definantly not alone!

On another note, I hope your feeling better!

No, I didn't call my mom like that. But it was a different time and she's been gone for 18 yrs. Mine call me all the time just to vent about work, husbands, friends whatever. They know they can call and just let go and spew. They also know I'm there for them depending on the situation.

Well the kicker for me is that Mom was never really a "motherly" type when we were sick as kids so I don't know why I felt the need to call her.

But it was all I could think of. Thankfully, my old neighbor had loaned me a steam cleaner yesterday so I could clean everything up before the showing today.

But good gravy. I'm tired of being sick and trying to do 5 million other things. I think I'm spending a good amount of time these days on the verge of frustrated, stressed out tears! I can't WAIT til I actually hit the road and am on my way.

I am the Mom...my young adult son called me several times a day when he had the H1N1 (Swine) flu at college a few years ago. Of course, at 20, and busy with his own business, he rarely called otherwise . He was sick as a dog and, to make things worse, the college quarantined him and a handful of other victims in the infirmary and he was bored to boot. That was before a vaccine was available and everyone was terrified of it, especially with how sick it was making young adults.

It's hard to be far away from a sick child, even an adult one. And, Mom doesn't mind the calls, it's nice to still feel needed by the "big kids".

Ah, Canaqua, that is good to hear. I have mostly been taking care of my mother the last few years. (she is in her 60's) I talk to her daily, not just when I'm sick, but maybe she does "enjoy" being called upon at times to comfort now.