The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

While I have lived in the ahem.. western armpit of the US, I am back in my home state of Maryland, expecting a move to North Carolina soon. I just like my location which I took from a Pink song. It makes me smile
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Gee, I always thought mine was self-explanatory.
    From one armpit to another... not precise enough
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Gee, I always thought mine was self-explanatory.

I'll qualify. I'm from the left armpit. Upper left NJ, as in, you can see the new Freedom Tower from my upstairs toilet.
    lovey, I would have thought Washington, DC.

I bought a horse in southern NJ and thought the area was lovely.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

You don't need to put in your bloody street address or even the town, but a state or country if not USA sure would be helpful.

I'm not actually in Rochester, NY, a small town outside of Rottenchester actually, but that should give people an idea of my basic location. Some COTHERs around here use western NY and that's descriptive enough for me to get an idea of where they are located.

TX, or south TX, or even T panhandle would be enough info as far as I'm concerned.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

3 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Hmmm, never thought about it in that context. I used to have "CT... Finally!" in my profile, because when I moved to CT, it was to marry my DH, and I was thrilled to (finally) be able to get things organized in my work life to make that move a reality. Now, years later... I have been able to move back to Atlanta (with the DH) and am so happy to be living here again, after so many years away. I used to laughingly refer to Atlanta as "civilization," to my DH, particularly when CT had cold, snowy weather... hence the statement in my current profile.
    I find it kind of funny that the post above garnered me my first "bad" rating.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Mine is finally in...North Carolina because I was so relieved when I could change it from my previous location . It's vague mainly because there's a good chance I'll be moving again soon within the state and I cannot be bothered to change it again. But it wouldn't be too difficult for anyone to figure out the general area of NC I live in, I've mentioned it on more than one thread!

I agree that it is interesting to see where people live....since I've been part of COTH, my locations have changed pretty dramatically!:
    Charlottesville, VA
    NWPA
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Paris, France
    and finally in...North Carolina
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Mine is "Where it is perpetually winter or construction" because I live in Minnesota, and as anyone who lives or has lived in Minnesota knows, we have 4 seasons.

The 4 seasons are: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.

6 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, weird! Huh??

I got two "bad ratings" (my first) after my post earlier in this thread asking for explanations from COTHers who don't include their locations.

I am legitimately curious, since I too have found it frustrating in the past, and wondered why. In the case of people like Bluey--with stalkers (yikes!)--I can understand. (And my first thought on reading about these nutjobs is that people like this have WAY too much time on their hands! Sheesh.)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

OH, I got a thumbs down for this.

its my first one.....

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    My location is ....in the barn because that is where I am usually. Or was. I was a full time groom before going to school full time ...perhaps I should change it to ...in a classroom.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

And I just gave you my first ever thumbs up!!! Good luck with school!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Mine is "Where it is perpetually winter or construction" because I live in Minnesota, and as anyone who lives or has lived in Minnesota knows, we have 4 seasons.

You cannot have those seasons, we have them here in Sask!!!ROFL Oh, and BTW, next week I am sending you Winter.

I've never been specific about where I live because I also had a stalker on another site. Said stalker was too close for comfort, less that two hours drive away.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Default yep..

In the extremely rare instance that I need to make a comment that might be even remotely controversial, and in which my "name" (smay) and location (central Ohio) would not benefit me... I use an alter. I think I've done it maybe twice in ten years. I almost ALWAYS look at people's locations to add context to their posts. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Yeah, weird! Huh??

I got two "bad ratings" (my first) after my post earlier in this thread asking for explanations from COTHers who don't include their locations.

I am legitimately curious, since I too have found it frustrating in the past, and wondered why. In the case of people like Bluey--with stalkers (yikes!)--I can understand. (And my first thought on reading about these nutjobs is that people like this have WAY too much time on their hands! Sheesh.)
    I learned that, if you don't have a need to have internet people contact you, you are better off not setting yourself up as a target by giving out too much personal, real life details.

Anyone you want to contact you can anyway, not so hard to find who some are and where they live, if they post enough.

I think that for those that like the world to know who and where they are, they can sign on face book and such sites for that.

YEAH! and they cancel each other out! Thanks Event! You are always a 'thumbs up' in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    And I just gave you my first ever thumbs up!!! Good luck with school!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Mine was even better (or ironic, I'm not sure) - I got a bad rating for asking if being worried about ratings was an example of a First World Problem. I hope the bad rater thought giving the bad rating was as funny as I did! (but I'm pretty sure they were in on the joke)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Lucassb - maybe the 'thumbs downer' was from CT! :-)

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

^ That could be, but the thumbs down wasn't from this CT poster!
    You left in a timely manner, though. Hurricane last week, nor'easter and snow today! Phew!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I started without a location listed at an attempt at anonymity, not because I had anything to hide except my own ignorance about some horse topics! Just liked the mutual sense that i didn't necessarily have to put it all out there.
    Then I guess I was mentioning being in the south a bit and added a southernism (or country phrase) and then eventually added the state just for the heck of it. :-) if someone asks where I live, I'll provide it, and have mentioned my town/former town and trainer, but I don't think it's overly relevant in most cases :-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I appreciate the location being listed, even if pretty general (as mine is), as it often helps provide context for what people post. Even just indicating country helps, as I often forget that not everyone posting here is in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post

We have those same seasons here in New England, too!