The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why don't Cother's put their general location or state in their profile?

Hi all,

I so enjoy reading everyone's posts, however, often times I will look to see where a poster is located. Sometimes, the post will be about some type of weather (big storm, heat wave, etc.) and I will be curious as to where you are. Today I read about Cother's standing in line to vote for 4-5 hours and I looked to see where they are located. Other times I've seen photos and said wow, I wonder where that is (usually the ones with lots of greenery and trees).

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that it would be nice to at least see what state you live in!

37 members found this post helpful.

Agreed and I gave you one of the thumbs up!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Agreed and I gave you one of the thumbs up!
    Thanks NY! My first thumbs up!

I agree, I wish people would do it more. It gives their post context.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

Completely agree (and I gave it a thumbs up ), this has been bothering me for YEARS!

For those who do this, any explanation you would like to share with us??
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Hmmm, never thought about it in that context. I used to have "CT... Finally!" in my profile, because when I moved to CT, it was to marry my DH, and I was thrilled to (finally) be able to get things organized in my work life to make that move a reality. Now, years later... I have been able to move back to Atlanta (with the DH) and am so happy to be living here again, after so many years away. I used to laughingly refer to Atlanta as "civilization," to my DH, particularly when CT had cold, snowy weather... hence the statement in my current profile.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Gee, I always thought mine was self-explanatory.

I'll qualify. I'm from the left armpit. Upper left NJ, as in, you can see the new Freedom Tower from my upstairs toilet.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I have thought the same thing! You can figure out my mailing address from my sig... Not that that's the best idea for everyone
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

If you read through my posts now you know where I am, but I didn't for a reason. I had a serious problem with a sociopath who has done some major damage to me as well as a lot of other people in person, and been kicked off about every board there is because she stalks them and is all over them. I've had issues with identity theft with her as well as other things. I try not to make it obvious should she have managed to get back on here even though she's been banned. I know from pm's with other people that they have similar situations.

lovey--I wasn't thinking the armpit was NJ. I was thinking somewhere else, but I won't name it for fear of insulting someone!

My location is ....in the barn because that is where I am usually. Or was. I was a full time groom before going to school full time ...perhaps I should change it to ...in a classroom.

Mac, I just added my location. I hadn't put it in before because I was too lazy to go through the whole profile process. But I agree, I like to see the location, so snce you brought it up I added it.

I don't include mine because its a pretty small horse community here. Depending on my post, having my state could be as obvious as putting my street address for readers in my area. And I really value having a safe place to ask sometimes stupid questions. Thanks y'all!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    lovey--I wasn't thinking the armpit was NJ. I was thinking somewhere else, but I won't name it for fear of insulting someone!
    I'm guessing you never drove up the NJTurnpike with the windows open
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I have to say, I have never been in NJ. But, I have driven down 5 many times. You can smell the cows for 20 miles.

I don't because I had a nut-job verbally give my (primary-school aged) kids a long ear-bashing over something that was on a board I belonged to. Note: on the board! I wasn't even taking part in the discussion! My kids were bewildered and I found it a bit frightening that they had been targeted. So, I no longer post my real name or my location.
    However, I'm sure that y'all would be able to figure out that I'm not in the USA. I use terms like 'primary school' instead of grade school and stuff like that.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Guilty!!!!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

2 members found this post helpful.

One of the first threads I read here was filled with people bashing southerners. Bless their little ol hearts.

Decided I didn't need to draw a target on my back. I accumulate enough troll type stalkers that don't read for comprehension as it is.

I guess I could take the time to change it now.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

We did. But we're warmbloods who work for Santa. Even a cother can figure out where Santa's workshop is.

We also think people should put pix of their horses in their profile. We cannot do that because we are in witness protection. Actually, we might, before Xmas, put up a picture of the 2 of us. If our 2nd package ever gets out of customs and arrives at Eleanor's house.

But everyone else should show off those horses!

I had a stalker that crossed from the internet to real life, even found out where I came from in Europe and said he had contacted one BNT trainer there to see if I really was who I said I was and done what I said I did.
    On the real life stuff, our sheriff was involved, but nothing happened with that.

He was banned in the forums that happened, where he became very offensive in general to others also and then followed me to other forums, included here.
    In forums, he would PM people that didn't like what I posted and sweet talk them with compliments and how ugly I was and so try to form a support base to attack everything I posted.
    If you have someone doing that, beware, they really are not your good buddy, but are trying to manipulate you.

He also later tried to get involved with other posters and things ended up really badly with one of them, for what I heard, where money went missing and people's lives seriously damaged.
    I am sure, as such disturbed people do, that he is still watching, just quit showing it's hand so much.

My opinion on this, if you have goods and services to sell, if you are promoting your business, if you are working in front of the public, you want people to know who you are and where you are located.
    Then you are also providing for some basic security and are careful who you interact with.

For the rest of us, you may want to think who all you want to know how much about you, because not everyone out there is a good, honest person.
    Behind a screen, you don't have any way to know who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Gee, I always thought mine was self-explanatory.

I'll qualify. I'm from the left armpit. Upper left NJ, as in, you can see the new Freedom Tower from my upstairs toilet.
    See, I always thought you were in El Paso, TX
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian