The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tailbone injury/sensitive-graphic warning

I injured my tailbone about six weeks ago. My horse was trying to get out of a boggy spot and bucked his way out of it. End result is that my tailbone is really sore at the base, and it feels worse when I ride my horse or bike.
    My chiro saw it today and worked on it. He feels if it still hurts I should get an x-ray. One of the "fixes" if it is pushed to the side is the go into the rectum and "push"it back out . He does not offer this ,ahem "service" but has heard it can work. Anyone have this problem, and if so, did you try this method??

My sister, some years ago, fell on some ice, and cracked her coccyx-I think that is the proper term for your tailbone. It was achy and VERY sore for weeks-like 12 weeks!!, she had to sit on a donut type pillow, take lots of anti-inflammatories,etc., etc. It was diagnosed by x ray.

I would recommend an xray. A "internal rectal push" or whatever your chiro man is describing won't help you if you have a cracked tailbone-in fact, I think it would be mighty uncomfortable, and possibly even incredibly painful...I would get thee to a Dr. Good luck to you, hope you are better soon.

My PT guy says he has only gotten patients to ok that treatment twice. I was NOT one of them. He manipulated it from the outside and it hurt like childbirth level of pain. I mean screaming, sweating etc. I don't know if it would hurt more or less from the inside and I don't want to find out. You should have xrays and probably an MRI before you make any decisions.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Have heard of it, no way would I authorize it without at least an x-ray. I cracked mine in a fall many years ago, and I sat on a donut pillow for a very long time!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

I have not had it done. My previous osteopath did tell me that there are numerous internal manipulations. Get the radiograph first. If there's no fracture, then internal manipulation might be a good option.

I'm just pretty grateful my coccyx was just super sore for a couple months and didn't need THAT type of therapy! Ouch!!

It's very much time for an xray.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Yes, an x-ray is indeed in order. Manipulation of any sort is a no-no if there is a fracture.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

I had to have my tailbone manipulated, I used my massage therapist who read up a whole bunch on the treatment. We kept it to external which seemed to do the trick for me but prior to that I had an mri and xray to make sure it wasn't broken before treatment. Personally I didn't think the manipulation was that bad, there was definitely an initial moment of (OW!) but once passed that it was such a relief. Good luck!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.