The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Shadbelly point colors

Hi there! Long time lurker, little time poster here...

So as my first FEI event is quickly approaching.. I have been looking through all of the eventing posts about shadbelly colours and I can't quite find the answer I have been looking for. Would it be a massive faux pas to have different coloured points on my shad? I know that canary is traditional but I found this website: http://dameronenterprises.weebly.com...ly-points.html and I really like some of the unique points they make! I was looking at the FEI rules for eventing and can't seem to find anything to say they would be not allowed.

Any opinions? Should I just leave tradition as tradition?

Thanks for any and all replies!
    To ride or not to ride-what a stupid question!
    -Unknown

Yellow.
    It's not the hunters.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Yeah, I thought about living dangerously when I ordered DH's shadbelly but ended up going traditional. If you do want a custom one that still looks traditional- I liked the fabric pattern #1043, subtle but different.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    Yeah, I thought about living dangerously when I ordered DH's shadbelly but ended up going traditional. If you do want a custom one that still looks traditional- I liked the fabric pattern #1043, subtle but different.
    Ditto. I like that fabric in 1043 but that is as out of the box as I would go. Although if you have a blingy browband and some bling on your spur strap...you might cause a few heartattacks to some of the traditionalist
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

HT that is a beautiful website! The browbands and stock ties are just delicious! oohh!!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I won the dressage at my first FEI with a "flashy shad" (pink lining on my tails, and light pink points -- remnants of my h/j days)

I say, as long as you can pull off a descent test, then the judge shouldnt be looking at the color of your points. A good test is a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Yellow.
    It's not the hunters.
    Yeah.
    My shad points are on the "golden" side of yellow-- which I think looks nice against the deep navy-- but it was not a special consideration, just how the (big name brand) coat was designed.

On hunt coats: I think a subtle colored lining can be a nice touch. I wasn't shopping for it, but I ended up with a nice navy hunt coat that came with pale blue lining. I've seen red linings, too, and I think it can look sharp... something different from the traditional black/navy lining.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Retread I know! Some of their products are absolutely drool worthy!

And okay... I guess canary it is! Thank you for steering me in the right direction!
    -Unknown

Y'all are a bunch of fuddy-duddies. And I'm talking as a fuddy-duddy (for the most part) myself.

I have a nice shad that has red points together with red collar. It has been done before

And back in 2004 too...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Hmmm... If Mary King does it...

The problem I am having is that there is quite a good chance that I will be the youngest at the event (CCI * Rebecca Farm)... I am 14 and will be 15 at the event. My inner dressage princess is going SPARKLES!!! But then I am reasoning maybe I should just leave it to the pros to be a bit different...? I don't want people thinking I showed up to the wrong party, you know? So! If you saw a junior in a 1* with a bit less conservative points, (I'm not thinking the really crazy ones) what would your thoughts be?
    -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HTeventing View Post
    Hmmm... If Mary King does it...

The problem I am having is that there is quite a good chance that I will be the youngest at the event (CCI * Rebecca Farm)... I am 14 and will be 15 at the event. My inner dressage princess is going SPARKLES!!! But then I am reasoning maybe I should just leave it to the pros to be a bit different...? I don't want people thinking I showed up to the wrong party, you know? So! If you saw a junior in a 1* with a bit less conservative points, (I'm not thinking the really crazy ones) what would your thoughts be?
    That you don't need a shad at a 1*.

But I know I'm a minority voice at that. When a pro was riding my horse in a 1* I yelled at him when he thought about wearing a shad. It's a 1*!!

I do really like the different points....and if I saw it, I'd probably think it looked great. My trainer....would be ill. Too each their own!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

What BFNE says...and I am ordering one of the Stock ties..white but so love the pattern and look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did two long format CCI* and still don't own a shad, but if I ever get one, I'm definitely not doing canary points.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I like that you can get canary on the back of the points. I guess that way if you have a last minute change of heart...
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I just love that on his gallery page of coloured shadbelly points, the pics are all in black and white and nobody is in a shadbelly. Perfect !

A junior can get away with murder IMHO, and you can always use the 'young and dumb' excuse if you decide in a year that the hot pink was a bad idea I would avoid brilliant colours, but I'd go for something a little different. Bonus points if the shad points match your XC gear, cause that, if done in a nice plaid, would rock!

Well, if it was me, and take this advice for the amount you've spent on it, but, I'd wait until I KNEW I was done growing and THEN buy a shad. How heartbreaking would it be for you to buy a shad now, or april, say, complete with the points in your colour choice, and then find, as you're dressing for dressage at Rebecca, that you've outgrown it !!! And if you're only 14/15, you've still got some growing to do. JMHO
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    Well, if it was me, and take this advice for the amount you've spent on it, but, I'd wait until I KNEW I was done growing and THEN buy a shad. How heartbreaking would it be for you to buy a shad now, or april, say, complete with the points in your colour choice, and then find, as you're dressing for dressage at Rebecca, that you've outgrown it !!! And if you're only 14/15, you've still got some growing to do. JMHO

That is very good advice. I grew another 2 inches. You will not wear that Shad very often....unless you have a string of UL horses. Borrow one or stick with one that will be re-sellable.

Go blingy on your spur staps or spurs...seen some really nice ones out there...engraved silver

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

For the growing out if department, if I was going to buy one, I'm a bit on the fence, (now that I read the fei rules)... I have this amazing used tack shop near me, that has some lovely shads for great prices, so it would not be a new shad! If I was to be making any changes to it, it would be some points! I'll just wait for my coaches input (she's in California at the moment) and make some decisions then!

Thanks again for all the great ideas!
    -Unknown

Lucy Weigersma wears a pale blue her SJ jacket matches with a pale blue collar and lining as do her XC colours.
    http://medias.photodeck.com/c01a764e...359_xlarge.jpg
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.