The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    PNWJumper, maybe they're good for jumping, but for dressage? I saw one in a store and thought it looked cheaply made and unstructured--for the price they were asking. I know in dressage we're looking for more comfortable jackets. I'm all for it, but at nearly 700 dollars? And looking this loose? Maybe it's just me, but I'm not feeling like it's a step forward in technology and price.
    The loose part of it on the model is just because they put the model in too large of a size, my opinion is that the Animo coats are much more fitted than most other brands. Mine is actually a little snug (wish I had gone 1 size up). Despite being snug it's the only coat I've ever owned that makes me look like I have boobs and an actual figure. All of my other coats squish me flat up top and don't give me any shape anywhere else. And it's hands down the nicest construction I've seen.

Here are my pic comparisons:
    one of my Grand Prix coats (wool)
    New(ish) Grand Prix coat (technical fabric)
    Older Grand Prix coat (technical fabric)
    Can't remember the brand - maybe Pikeur (not wool, not technical)?

grey Animo pic 1, pic 2, pic 3

I find that my Animo looks more structured and flattering by a long shot than any other coats (on me)....Grand Prix, GPA, etc. But I can't address your comment about dressage versus jumper coats. All I know is that my Animo is super comfortable, flattering, and by far my favorite coat. I've worn it for two full seasons, washed it after every show, and it still looks brand new. So it's held up well despite a fair amount of use. I don't regret spending $700 on it for a second. In fact, I think the Animo products are so well made that I just bought a pair of $400 white breeches at my last show because I'm tired of my Tailored Sportsman, Ariat, and Grand Prix white breeches looking awful after one season. I also noticed that each time I saw a coat or a pair of breeches I thought looked really nice (as in high quality and well made) at shows this summer, they were almost always Animo.....generally this was during the course walk, so getting an up close look and not while on a horse, FWIW.

There are a bunch of other technical fabric coats out there. I think like with everything, you just have to try on several to figure out what looks best on your body. I personally dislike the shape of the GPAs and Grand Prix coats (despite owning many of them) compared to the Animo coats. But I haven't tried on the Arit Triumph or the Equiline ones in person. I saw an increasing number of Spooks brand coats this year too, but I don't know if they make dressage coats or only jumping coats.

Yeah I have considered spooks and equiport too both of which I think I could get away with in the dressage ring but they dont have distributors over here so Id have to get them to ship it from UK or get my mum to send it on for me (Im British but live in USA) and so I could not try them on.... which would be a concern for me...

OK, I looked up the confusing rules in the 2012 USEF rule book

The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots, and protective headgear as defined in DR120.5 and in compliance with GR801. A cutaway coat (modified tailcoat) with short tails is permitted.

For all tests above Fourth Level, the dress code is: a dark tailcoat with top hat or protective headgear, or a dark jacket with a bowler hat, hunt cap or protective headgear, and white or light colored breeches, stock or tie, gloves, and black riding boots.

At all test levels, riders may wear jackets in other colors within the international HSV color scale, as described in FEI Dressage Regulations, Art. 427.1. Contrast coloring and piping is al- lowed. Hats, stocks, ties, gloves and riding boots may be the same color as the coat. For Grand Prix Freestyle only: any single color tailcoat will be allowed; striped or multi-colored coats are not permitted, and tasteful and discreet accents, such as a collar of a different hue or modest piping or crystal decorations, are acceptable.

Members of the Armed Services and police units may ride in the uniform of their service. All riders under age 18 and all riders while on horses competing in national level tests, who choose to wear Armed Services or police uniform, must wear protective headgear as defined in DR120.5 and in compliance with GR801. Other riders choosing to wear Armed Services or police uniform must wear the appropriate military/police cap or hat for their branch of service, or protective headgear.

So, if you are showing 4th or below it would seen to be up to the judge/TD to decide what is "conservative". You're always safe with the HVS color scale. All a bit confusing and crazy if you ask me

PS
    I have the Spooks jacket and love it! If you need a Navy one in large let me know ( I have an extra:-)

One more part,

Unless jackets are waived, while in the competition ring, exhibitors wearing protective headgear must wear a short, dark jacket, dark tailcoat (only permitted for tests above Fourth Level), or Armed Services or police uniform (if eligible), dark hatcovers (where applicable) and must otherwise conform to DR120 (see GR801).

So it really is a bit confusing. Is it dark or conservative for 4th and below? And what is conservative- personally is think beige and grey are, but I'm sure others would disagree. Perhaps this could be addressed by the rules forum members and at least try to be consistent. I'm not for crazy colors or bling, but do think lighter colored jackets would be nice

My sister is an extremely talented seamstress and for $700 I'm sure would be more than happy to make you a custom fitted coat in any color. LOL

2 members found this post helpful.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

I would love to see us allowed to move away from conservative colors. The hunter/jumper world has a plethora of pin stripes and I remember pastel blue being quite the rage. I realize tradition has its principles, but.....if some color was allowed the perception of dressage might be more favorable...as in, less elitist...just sayin' Have a safe day everyone.

Dunno about the H/J jackets; I was at Beval's the other day and from across the room, all the jackets on the whole rack looked practically the same color; roughly the same one as the algae growing on the bottom of my horses water tubs! (Greenish/brownish/grayish nondescript).

I ride hunter's but I purchased a dk beige Ariat jacket this spring with grey pinstripe. I thought it was a lovely contrast with my mare's coat, (very dilute buckskin), compared to the traditional navy, (which I hate).
    I personally am not one to spend $700 on a coat....

The rules here for lower level dressage state 'conservative'. Though, 99% end up having black or navy.

It is sad, especially in hunter-land, not many are brave enough to sport a coat out of the norm.

Good on you to venture!

Well for those interested USEF replied to me and said brown and grey shades were permitted as long as they were not too "bright". They said no one had ever asked to wear a beige coat before and recommended I submit photos to them, they will then ask the USEF dressage committee whether it is acceptable. I must say I am impressed by the helpfulness.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you decide to go with black Arista has a super comfortable light weight coat in the new technical fabric. It's on page 14 of the boutique book. http://www.inthestirrup.com/#!shop-our-boutique

Can someone explain the stock tie rule that was quoted above? It read that the stock tie can match the jacket (for under 4th level?) I HATE wearing a stock tie. Not only is it hot and restricting it looks horrible on me. I'd love to find an alternative.

Holy cow.The beige jacket is fugly.

Looks like something mr Rogers might wear with fuzzy slippers.

Choker are permitted at 4th level and below. If you hate a stock, why not just wear a choker? Or a tie?

The rule is DR 120: http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2012/08-DR.pdf

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah Ive seen that one and the dressage one that grand prix do the profi or wherever its called that looks similar to the Arista but its 3 times more money. I am conflicted as I like the traditional length of the Arista but I want a zipper to stop gaping of the um assets.... I have very large boobs compared with the rest of me and it causes me no end of trouble with jackets....I had my goode rider one tailored and it ended up costing so much money I may as well buy an expensive stretchy jacket in the first place this time if it will fit without tailoring..... I tried the Ariat one the pro crowne or whatever that was recommended under the coat for the large chested thread but it was sooooooo short even in the long and I felt too uncomfortable. The animo is 3 inches longer than the Ariat one tho still short. What I really want they don't make.... I want technical light weight fabric with a zipper under the buttons with a more traditional dressage cut and one vent.... Animos have 2 vents but they have nice magenta lining and when I said I did not want sequins.. part of me kind of does want magenta lined vents.... :-)

I also HATE stock ties... in the UK its acceptable to wear a white man's tie even if you are a woman - the USEF rules say you can wear a tie, stock or choker so I assume its the same here. I have one of those shirts that has ruffles down the front and a snap collar so it looks like a stock tie from a distance - I would be interested to know if we can wear those instead of stock ties... does anyone know that? This one in fact http://www.smartpakequine.com/equili...x?cm_vc=Search I got it on a whim as it was on sale and looked fun now I am wondering how to actually wear it... My bad fashion sense is perplexing the USEF enough already so I hate to ask them lol

I started that thread about the larger chested and ended up ordering the Arista. The fit is amazing. I'm sure I'm larger in the bust than you are and it does not gape open. I can send you photo's if you want. The only jacket I've seen with the hidden zipper is the GR Prix. Nice jacket but didn't come in my size. The arista is cut so nice (for girls with curves). It just falls in the right places. IT's super thin and stretchy.

I can't see me wearing a tie....Just wouldn't feel right but maybe I could wear some sort of choker... I'd like to try maybe a black one and see if that looks any better than white. For some reason they just look like crap on me. Maybe I have a short neck.

Your shirt sound very cool. I'd love to know it something liek that is acceptable as well. Off the check the link.

WOW That's super cute!! What type of material is it stain resistant? Legal anyone?

Have you tried in this jacket?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/grand-p...mxymqzmexsvd45

It has a zipper under the buttons

This is a little less traditional, but has a zipper.

http://www.dogwoodlondon.co.uk/gpa-trophy-lady-ii.html

It actually looks very nice in person

Thanks BMargieRad I have tried the Grand Prix Rylie but its tighter on me than the Animo and I feel like I look like a sausage about to explode from its casing ha ha and if I go up a size it looks baggy and I don't think they can be altered v easily in the tech fabric... I don't like the GPA II one so much I think it looks like the Kerrits 24k jacket which I already have for showing in heavy rain emergencies and don't particularly care for even tho its useful.

Kurplexed would love to see pics if not too much bother. Im a 34E which is literally a huge pain.....

Animo has come back to me with two other options they scoured the land for to find something that will fit me (as I am so massively fat being a UK12-14 or a US 10-12 street and 5"9 which means that I am always whatever the biggest size they stock, cross my fingers and hope for the best size lol). This one which I am head over heels in love with but don't know how judges will feel about exposed zipper http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CC0Q9QEwAA and this one which is more boring but probably safer (has zipper under buttons) they can get me either in gunmetal gray herirngbone http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAQ&dur=1475 what do people think? Sometimes I will admit I need to be taste checked so if they are really unsuitable I wont be offended if people say so.... I am still considering the Arista one too which is of course the most conservative and seeing if I can somehow get a zipper added... neither Animo one has a single vent and obviously one of them does not have 4 buttons either so I know not "strictly" dressage coats but I'm not afraid to be different as long as i am not ridiculous or illegal!

ps Kurplexed the shirt is breathable technical type material kind of like the Kerrits ventilators but thicker so cant see underwear thorough it which is a big plus, also quite similar to the ROMFH coolmax shirts if you are familiar with them. I am just not sure if the shirt counts as a choker when it buttons up like that - I see hunter shirts they call chokers that have collars like that and if so I am thinking it would be legal as a choker... but I don't really know and I cant say if its stain resistant yet as I have not worn it yet. I have a friend who is a high level judge I will try and show her all my crazy clothes and see what she thinks but she leaves for Florida for the winter soon so I will have to catch her fast!

I'm a 16 in street clothes (yes I'm hanging my head in shame) and also an E. I'll send the pix in a PM not brave enough to post here but I can tell you the coat does not gape across the chest. Please let me know about that shirt. Not sure it will fit me though.

sent you a PM