The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else addicted to true crime books?

Love my new kindle. Love the temptation of having books downloaded within seconds and the Amazon shop is only a click away....afraid I am spending way too much money on books.

I am on a roll with true crime books at the moment. I have discovered Ann Rule and Kathryn Casey. I am quite impressed with the research and details about the characters and the crimes depicted. And the investigations are fascinating....maybe I missed my calling and should have been a detective.

One thing seems to be a common thread in those murder cases I read about: women making bad choices when it comes to marrying men or hanging out/befriending men who later end up killing them. And those men behave badly long before they ever commit murder. All these murdered women seem to have faith in humanity and believe in the best in people. I really think that girls are taught to abandon their instincts at a young age in favour of "being nice to everyone". Which leads to women staying in relationships that are becoming dangerous to them and sometimes end in murder.

Your thoughts? Do you like true crime books? Favourite authors?

Have you read the original true crime story? Truman Capote was arguably the first (or at least popularized the genre) with In Cold Blood. I read it a few years ago and was enthralled, but it felt almost like an invasion of privacy of the murdered family.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

Ann Rule is the absolute BEST true crime writer ever! Have you read "The Stranger Beside Me" yet? She actually worked a volunteer hotline job with Ted Bundy in the 1980's-who was one of the US most prolific serial killers ever. Can you imagine ?

I've read tons of true crime, love to read about how the cops, prosecutors, etc., end up putting the bad guy away...I do, though, take breaks from the true crime and go on to mysteries or nonfiction here and there, as sometimes it can get a bit depressing...

I love Ann Rule. I read absolutely everything of hers, including the many Crime Files. Although I felt Red River Running Red was not well-done (there was no real analysis, and the amount of victims just made it seem like they were being checked off, no real insight into their lives either).

Rule's Every Breath You Take actually bothered me. It's billed as the "first true-crime book written at the victim's request", and OMG does she go overboard praising the victim as a paragon of motherly goodness. I mean, I don't expect her to be objective, she's not a crime reporter any more; but usually she manages to be empathetic without white-washing everything in sight. In the Still of the Night also had a bit of that feeling, although not as bad; I don't think she does very well as a writer when she gets too enmeshed with the victim's family.

I also love Ann Rule's ethics. She wrote about a woman in Kansas who was convicted of arson that killed two of her three children, and trying to kill the soon to be ex husband. Ann Rule used assumed names for the family to protect the survivors' privacy, but a so-called friend of the convicted woman used the family's real name in a magazine article.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I LOVE my Kindle and my Amazon Prime

I also loved In Cold Blood, which I devoured after I got a taste for the genre as a kid from reading Helter Skelter by Vince Bugliosi. That one gave me many sleepless nights. Gah, those bloody black and white photos....
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Ann Rule is my favorite, though Kathryn Casey is good as well

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

*raises hand* definitely own both a kindle touch and fire. Love love love both of them for different reasons . I'm also addicted to anything crime/detective/murder mystery related so I should probably check out true crime. What do you guys recommend for a first timer??
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Truth is definitely stranger then fiction (and more dangerous). Pretty much a template for all the crime shows.

Former FBI profiler John Douglas has written a lot of great books. I just read the one he wrote about the BTK Killer, and I've read The Cases that Haunt Us. Here's a link to his biblio: http://www.johndouglasmindhunter.com/books.html

If you're interested in the forensics of death, Dr. Bill Bass's two books about University of Tennessee's The Body Farm are fascinating: Death's Acre and Beyond the Body Farm.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

One of my favorite blog writers has a pretty good list of reader recommendations going- http://tomatonation.com/culture-and-...-hall-of-fame/

I love true crime. John Douglas's the Cases That Haunt Us is a particular favorite. I just finished the Napoleon of Crime, which is a study of the criminal (American/English/he worked everywhere) who actually formed the inspiration for Doyle's Moriarty. Mostly Murder by Sir Sidney Smith (I think, not right in front of me at the moment), which I picked up recently on a whim on Paperbackswap, was a fascinating and readable early memoir of a medical pathologist.

I've read Douglas' Mind Hunter but I will have to pick up The Cases that Haunt Us. I love criminal psychology more so than straight "true crime."

Not so much general "true crime", but I do enjoy & read a lot of mobster/Mafia true crime books. And also really enjoy the "Biography" channel's mobster bio series.

I also enjoy reading true crime books.

Although since the arrival of DS 7 years ago, I'm not so interested in reading stories of kids being hurt/killed.

But I lived through a time where children in my area were kidnapped and killed, and I do keep up with the information/books on those murders because it so changed my life.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I still remember the book and tv movie (with Jo Beth Williams, and I think Keith Carradine as the cop) about the minister in Kansas who offed his own loyal wife, hired a hit man (I think hit man) to off the mistresses husband, and then when they got caught and he was on trial she took up with another man and married him. They both got convicted though. Kathy Bates played one of the reporters I think, and it was very good.

I love the documentaries on ID Discovery on the weekends. I missed the end of one, so I had to get the book to see what happened (Shattered, by Kathryn Casey). And there have been a few with horses and horse farms too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White