The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Where was the dog's owner? Was the dog out in the park sans owner?

I would definitely notify the dog owner. The dog was not on the owners property, and the owner was not present...this is not acceptable! I agree with others that potentially a deer could have spooked your horse as well, however it was not a deer, it was a dog OWNED by a human. And that human was not properly supervising their animal. I wouldn't contact animal control at this point, but if that dog continues to be a problem I most certainly would. Also, I would in no way feel like a hypocrite! There is a big difference between hiking with your dog off leash and letting your dog roam at large. That owner has no idea what kind of trouble or mischief their dog is out getting into.

OP: Good luck with everything! I wish you and your horse a speedy recovery!

"...the arena has no fence around it...my horse ran past the barn and on to the main road into rush hour traffic..."
    "What's wrong with this part of the picture?????"

17 members found this post helpful.

Sorry you and your horse were injured but your horse could have spooked from anything...the issue was your saddle slipped. Does it fit your horse correctly? Was your girth tightened sufficiently? Spooks happen, slipped saddles shouldn't. I think the dog is irrelevant.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I'm very sorry you were scared and your horse was hurt, but there really isn't much if any difference between a dog running loose and one that is running loose with an owner behind it... either dog could easily adopt the posture that spooked your horse. And even "well trained" dogs can ignore an owner at times - off leash is off leash, and the dog can "bow" either way. For what it's worth, I think a leashed dog being walked on that trail could have spooked your horse just as easily; it's very unfortunate but horses do spook at things and sometimes the results are awful, but it's not like the dog was being aggressive or chasing you or anything of that nature.

If it will make you feel better, I suppose you could tell the dog owner sadly that their animal spooked your horse, who got away from you and ended up hurt, for which they will most likely apologize. But since you let your own dog run off the leash in the same area, I don't think you can judge others just because you think they are not quite as attentive as you are when they do it.
    I know there's a big difference to you over a dog with an owner off leash, and a dog without owner off leash, but how big a difference is there to your young mare? (I don't think "running loose" is quite the right word for the dog, as you stated the dog was in the "play" stance - aka standing relatively still, not running)

Hopefully she recovers quickly!

Yes the dog was loose in the park with no owner present. He apparently does this often, though it was my first encounter with him.

My barn owner is going to put up a barrier so if a horse dumps a rider in the ring, they can't get up to the street. I had asked them once before to do this and I was met with a bit of hesitation, but now that this has happened, they are going to take care of it. You don't need to tell me that the ring should be fenced in...I totally agree. My barn and barn owners are great in every other way and they have been nothing but wonderful to my horse and I.

What I meant by a "big difference" is that at least the owner would have been there to get the dog had it escalated. If the dog is out wandering around with no owner in the woods, lots of things could go wrong. Not to mention it is hunting season right now.

I just had my saddle fit checked last Friday, and yes it fits. My girth seemed tight to me but I also weigh 140 lbs and I don't think many saddles would have stayed put if they had 140 lbs of person hanging off to one side.

Anyway, thank you for your input. I have a lot to think about.

Again, I am so sorry about your horse and you, I have certainly had that happen for other reasons. We have so many coyotes and bobcats around our barn that loose dogs are not reason for alarm. My young guy is still reacting to the wildlife and it is on me to get him use to it.

Hope you feel better.

2 members found this post helpful.

I hope you and your horse recover soon!

I would not call on the dog if, if it had entered the ring and chased you that would be one thing, but play stance on the other side of fence? No way.

Horses are reactive, and I have a feeling this one isn't exactly a super quiet dead head. Crap happens, I do not think its the dog owner's fault.

Glad something good is coming from this, having a barn and or arena that is not fenced from the main road is beyond dangerous. Glad your horse was not hit by a car, it could have ended up very bad for the horse....and any one innocently driving down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post

What I meant by a "big difference" is that at least the owner would have been there to get the dog had it escalated.
    I'm very sorry about your accident - but the dog did NOT "escalate." The dog made a friendly (to the dog) gesture, which it probably would have done if it had been with its owner and on a leash. Your bad experience is the definition of "accident" - a combination of unfortunate circumstances where one thing is not to blame. If you mention it at all to the dog owner, I would do it very simply, that their dog was in the park by itself and they need to keep it confined on their own property.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

12 members found this post helpful.

I just had my saddle fit checked last Friday, and yes it fits. My girth seemed tight to me but I also weigh 140 lbs and I don't think many saddles would have stayed put if they had 140 lbs of person hanging off to one side.
    I've had several bad spooks (who hasn't, right) and my saddle has never done that. It might become a bit off center, but never to the point that it went under the horse's belly... but maybe your horse is shaped different. Oh, when it happened in the saddle I have now, I was over 200 pounds.

Many jingles for you and most certainly for your horse's recovery! I can't believe that there wasn't a perimeter fence!

Absolutely DO contact the dog owner. They need to know that it is dangerous and unacceptable for their dog to run loose without supervision. While I don't think this is necessarily a matter of liability, it is one of responsibility. If this were your dog, you would need to know to ensure it does not happen again. I would calmly tell them what happened - without attributing blame. It may help to let them know upfront that you are not calling to blame them, but just to let them know. If they are decent, they will absolutely apologize and take better care next time.
    Edit: your goal is to let the owners realize that it is dangerous and unacceptable. Telling them will not have the same effect!!
    Last edited by ako; Nov. 6, 2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Unclear
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I'm very sorry about your accident - but the dog did NOT "escalate." The dog made a friendly (to the dog) gesture, which it probably would have done if it had been with its owner and on a leash. Your bad experience is the definition of "accident" - a combination of unfortunate circumstances where one thing is not to blame. If you mention it at all to the dog owner, I would do it very simply, that their dog was in the park by itself and they need to keep it confined on their own property.
    This. It sucks, but that's life.

Also, this is the SECOND time that your young mare has ended up on said busy road...you should count yourself very, very lucky that she has not caused an accident, for which you (and the barnowners) will be very, very liable for. Nevermind her getting hurt. Perhaps it's time to start talking to the barn owner about upping safety precautions for the property in some manner, or consider moving barns.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    This. It sucks, but that's life.

Also, this is the SECOND time that your young mare has ended up on said busy road...you should count yourself very, very lucky that she has not caused an accident, for which you (and the barnowners) will be very, very liable for. Nevermind her getting hurt. Perhaps it's time to start talking to the barn owner about upping safety precautions for the property in some manner, or consider moving barns.
    Yes, thank you so much for bringing that up (sarcasm). This has happened before, and she spooked, dumped her rider (not me) and ran up in the road. After that incident I asked that there be a gate put up. The BO offered to put up a bungee cord, which wouldn't do anything at all to stop her. Now after this second one where the horse was injured, they are going to put up a gate. I AM thankful that she didn't get hurt worse. I also have $1m of liability coverage that would cover me in the event that something did happen and I was sued. I really need to learn and not post questions on this forum.

Yes, thank you so much for bringing that up (sarcasm). This has happened before, and she spooked, dumped her rider (not me) and ran up in the road. After that incident I asked that there be a gate put up. The BO offered to put up a bungee cord, which wouldn't do anything at all to stop her. Now after this second one where the horse was injured, they are going to put up a gate. I AM thankful that she didn't get hurt worse. I also have $1m of liability coverage that would cover me in the event that something did happen and I was sued. I really need to learn and not post questions on this forum.
    -shrug- you put something on a public forum, you cant expect people not to read and remember. Thanks for that thumbs down.

That's fine that you have that coverage, good in fact, as it takes care of your financial liability. Still won't make it any easier facing the relatives of a dead driver who hit your horse. Also, if you are found negligent, then coverage won't do you any good. Just as an FYI. Would an unfenced area and lack of perimeter fence and prior incidences count as negligence? I couldn't tell you, just something to consider.

Sorry about EA, I was looking forward to watching you guys.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    -shrug- you put something on a public forum, you cant expect people not to read and remember.

That's fine that you have that coverage, good in fact, as it takes care of your financial liability. Still won't make it any easier facing the relatives of a dead driver who hit your horse. Also, if you are found negligent, then coverage won't do you any good. Just as an FYI. Would an unfenced area and lack of perimeter fence and prior incidences count as negligence? I couldn't tell you, just something to consider.

Sorry about EA, I was looking forward to watching you guys.
    I just already feel sh*tty enough about it, you know?

Yes, I am also very disappointed about EA but in the large scheme of things, it is the least of my problems.

I guess my question is, what would you like to see come of talking to the owner? As someone else asked, had this happened to someone else during one of the times you've had your dog off leash and the rider contacted you, what would YOU as the dog owner do?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I don't think everyone is convinced you need to contact the owner. However, I think you have an ethical obligation to do so... Let's say they really don't know the danger and you don't tell them. And it happens again and someone is hurt even worse. How would you feel?
    If this were your dog, you would want to know so you could avoid letting the dog loose in the future, no?
    We often don't go through with these things because confrontation is difficult. And it seems pointless after the fact. But it doesn't have to be nasty. And you will feel better knowing that you did something to help avoid this in future.
    Thankfully you and your mare weren't hurt even worse! It sucks!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would like the owner to fix whatever issue is allowing the dog to get out. I don't think that's a lot to ask! If it were my dog, and I have NEVER had an issue with my dog getting loose or not coming when called, even off leash in the wilderness, I would feel very badly. I would apologize, ask if there was anything I could do, and I would remedy the problem with the fence to stop the dog from getting out.

This might sound odd...but I do think you should tell the dog owner. However it's YOU that has the real problem.

You have a reactive horse that runs off when spooked.

You are going to be the one most liable when she hits a car and kills someone.

If this isn't the first time, you have bigger issues.

I'm SO sorry that you guys got hurt, but it's not the dog's fault. It really isn't.

You could've been on the show grounds. This sounds lke a horse issue.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

13 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I think you should contact the dog owner but not to blame them for your accident but to point out that their dog was out unattended.

I have to say that I would not board at a place that could not contain the horses in the event of an accident. That just seems total madness, especially if you've actually seen a horse - any horse - getting out before.

7 members found this post helpful.