The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Am I about to over-oil my bridle?

Apparently my 8-year-old Edgewood didn't love the hurricane- when I went back out to the barn the Wednesday after the storm the leather was very dry and stiff to the point I thought it might crack, whereas on the Sunday before, it had been in good condition. Not sure what in the atmosphere it didn't love... I took it home for a good cleaning and oiling and it drank up oil like it hadn't been done in years. The bridle is now much more supple and feels hydrated; but when I flex it, it lightens dramatically and almost feels crumbly. I can't tell if I should leave it alone at this point or if I should give it another drink. I don't want to kill it of kindness. Thoughts?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I would probably oil again, or use something like ledersbalsam.

That is not a good report. Do you think the bridle got WET? I have never seen a bridle go from normal supple to cracking dry in a matter of days. Eek!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    That is not a good report. Do you think the bridle got WET? I have never seen a bridle go from normal supple to cracking dry in a matter of days. Eek!
    I have no idea what happened- that's why I'm second guessing what to do about it. The bridle was in the tack room, which isn't climate controlled, but is pretty snug. I don't think it got wet; I was attributing it to something in the atmosphere, but that's just a guess based on no other things to blame it on.

I gave it another drink tonight and it's currently drying on a towel on my kitchen counter, where it seems much happier than it was (except for the reins, which are mounting a formal protest about life, the universe, and everything. Those haven't been quite right since a bout of mold in the worst of our humidity this summer.)
    - Harry Dresden

It feels crumbly? I would maybe condition with a CWD conditioner or lederbalsam and reassess then. If it still feels off, maybe re-oil. Good luck! I'm so glad I don't live in a humid climate!

Argh! Huge bummer, hate to see a good Edgewood get the worst of it :P

I'd try a couple days of Horseman's One Step cleaner/conditioner after oiling. Really massage it it, it's brought back a couple of bridles to life for me. Good luck!

Do you think someone else used your bridle and got it wet? That sounds like a bridle I had (not as nice) after it was DRENCHED and then fully dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I have no idea what happened- that's why I'm second guessing what to do about it. The bridle was in the tack room, which isn't climate controlled, but is pretty snug. I don't think it got wet; I was attributing it to something in the atmosphere, but that's just a guess based on no other things to blame it on.

I gave it another drink tonight and it's currently drying on a towel on my kitchen counter, where it seems much happier than it was (except for the reins, which are mounting a formal protest about life, the universe, and everything. Those haven't been quite right since a bout of mold in the worst of our humidity this summer.)

I guess my thought it to do what you can to slowly introduce oil into the bridle/reins over a period of time... but if the bridle got really really dry to the point of cracking dry, there's probably nothing you can do and you're going to start experiencing the bridle cracking/breaking.

I can't explain why it got so dry. I've only ever seen that happen when bridles get completely and totally wet or ignored for years and years.

That sucks!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by LochNessD View Post
    Do you think someone else used your bridle and got it wet? That sounds like a bridle I had (not as nice) after it was DRENCHED and then fully dried.
    I don't think so; that's not really a problem at my barn (I love being able to say that!)

It's a lot better after six or seven coats of oil over the last week (and one unashamed "Fine! You're thirsty? Now drink!" dunking of the cheekpieces) but still not where I want it to be.

I'm a Castile soap and oil kind of girl; I use a balsam on my saddle 'cause Devoucoux told me to, but I'm unclear on what specifically a balsam or a thick conditioner like Ko-cho-line or One-Step do for tack that is substantially different from leather oil. Can anyone enlighten me? (In the past I've hated One-Step because I thought it left the tack greasy... in this case I may have to give it a try.)

I figure after 8 years it doesn't owe me anything, and I think my horse is trying to tell me he wants to retire to be a trail horse anyway and he can do that in his crappy spare parts cross country bridle (he looks cute in a figure-8 anyhow!) but still.
    - Harry Dresden

Generally, when I am attempting to bring bridles, or any leather for that matter, back from the dead; I do a few good coats of oil over the course of a few days, and then do a final treatment of Effax Leder Balsam or CWD Conditioner. I hateeee Horseman's One Step! The Effax Leder Balsam really helps deep condition the leather and bring it back to life. I put a good amount on with a sponge, and then go back and work it into the leather with my hands. Let it hang and dry for awhile, and if you feel like the leather is too sticky, simply wipe it down with a rag! It's certainly worth a shot and it smells good to boot!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/effax-l...am/p/X1-31118/