The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question I think I want to sell my Close Contact saddle, but....then what?

Right now I have a Dover Circuit Elite that I bought 11 years ago, for my narrow 17 hh. TB. (who ended up dying) I love it. as it fits pretty well on most horses, but....at this stage in the game, I really want a tackier (as in grip) leather, and a softer seat (I have a bad hip)

The problem is, I'm not sure what kind of saddle to get?

Right now, I just have a large pony filly, and while I don't ever intend on selling her, I so have dreams of one day owning something bigger then her.

I like to mainly trail ride, and school Dressage but I also love to jump. Most of what I ride are not made horses, so I need something that will be secure, however, I used to gallop racehorses, so I HATE bulky saddles (Western etc) I used to show Hunters and Jumpers, but have no plans to any time.

Oh, and I'd like this saddle to be under $1,000. So....does my Jack Of All Trades Saddle exist??

stick a comfy, tacky seatsaver cover over the saddle you already have?

Is the filly hard to fit? Is she part of the equation? Or are you only looking for your personal specs, and she can get an average size/tree?

What about a wintec?

I have a Crosby SofRide that I am selling (no more horses) but I LOVE it, would highly recommend. It's an all purpose, very "squishy" and comfortable, but a forward enough seat that you can jump in. You can pick up a used one for around $500.

Nope - she's pretty easy to fit.

Ohh - I forgot about Crosby SofRides - they ARE nice!! I wish PJ's or CWD's weren't so $$$ - I loooove those.

It's just $$$.....don't you have a tree in your back yard?

I just rode (briefly) in a Voltaire when trying a horse last weekend. Sure, she was a dream, but the saddle was OMGOSH terrific. I know it doesn't help in the $$ front, but super-comfy! My BF said he'd never seen me so relaxed and comfortable on a horse.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    I just rode (briefly) in a Voltaire when trying a horse last weekend. Sure, she was a dream, but the saddle was OMGOSH terrific. I know it doesn't help in the $$ front, but super-comfy! My BF said he'd never seen me so relaxed and comfortable on a horse.
    Do you know which model it was?

Look at the older County Profits. I find them comfy, secure for jumping and youngsters and functional for flat work. The HDR buffalo event saddle is another often to be found inexpensively and pretty functional. Some of the buffalo leather type dressage saddles are surprisingly secure as well.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!