The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Houseguests ? I'm making popcorn. Anyone want a margarita ?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    I'll take a bloody mary, extra spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    Yes please! Pass one my way.
    I have Buffalo style chicken dip and chips to share.

1 members found this post helpful.

You are correct, dear person. You did tell me about many of those horses, and there is another person that told me about another. I have not stated anything about the gelding an hour and a half away because, well, he hasn't stepped foot in my pasture yet. Was I looking for him? Nope. Did you and another person both contact me about him and ask if I had seen him? Yep. Is he a "horse for my husband?" Nope.

You are not the first person who has sent me e-mails about horses, and I am sure you will not be the last.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    You are not the first person who has sent me e-mails about horses, and I am sure you will not be the last.
    I have the sudden urge to scour CL and the rest of the internet for horses for you
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    I haven't been actively looking for a horse for my husband. I've learned the "wait and see" approach works best. That being said my husband rides horses. He's not just one of the "I've been on a trail ride a time or two" types of husbands (and I am so grateful for that .) He's a husband who grew up taking English lessons. He grew up bumming rides off the neighbors' overly-revved-up barrel horses.

He's had his shares of spooks, bolting, and go-go-go rides. I don't put him in the category as someone that needs a "husband horse."

An acquaintance of ours has made it her goal to set my husband up with an "appropriate" mount. Keep in mind this person has never seen myself nor my husband ride. We have only chit chatted with her a handful of times, but I have told her that my husband isn't in need of a "husband horse" (aka kick-a-long, dead broke, bombproof, single-speed-SLOW.)

We're a gelding-specific household, too (personal preference,) and that statement has been made to the acquaintance as well as "sound enough for long distance trails, etc."

"I found a Tennessee Walking Horse mare that would be perfect for your husband. The only problem is she is a bit lame and has foundering issues."

** No, thank you. We aren't big on mares, and a horse that is lame and founder issues isn't really sound for long distance trail rides. We're not actively looking anyways.

"I found the perfect horse for your husband the other day! She is an eighteen year old Thoroughbred Dressage horse. The owner wants her to go to a show home."

** We're not actively looking, but she's a mare that is to be shown, and we're not interested. Thank you though.

"Did you see the Belgian I forwarded to you? He has some issues and is sound for light riding, but he's perfect for your husband."

** I did see him. We are not looking. The right horse will find us eventually when it's the right time.

She proceeded to contact a seller (on our behalf!) to tell the seller that we were very interested in one of her horses and that we would be in contact. When she told me this, I told her, again, that we were not looking. Thank you for CONTINUING to look for us, but none of the horses she had shown us were suitable anyways, and while I can tell she wants to help, we are NOT looking.

"I forwarded an owner your contact information. She has a gelding to place."

"HI! I got your name from Jane. I have a twenty-four year old gelding I need to place. He is older, but he acts young. He is arthritic and can only do light rides MAYBE walking the kids around. He also requires double padding because he is sway back. Jane said that you were looking for just this type of horse! He is a 'husband horse' or a 'kid safe horse,' but he should only carry no more than 100 lbs. THANKS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fienix View Post
    Wow, you're either really trying to stir up a pity party for yourself, or your life must be terribly boring. If you're going to trash someone, you ought to at least be truthful. Let's see, where to begin:

Granted, you did say you were specifically looking for a gelding, but you never know. I was a confirmed gelding person too, until I fell in love with a rescue mare I took in years ago. And this was also before you told me about your husband's supposed riding ability and I still thought you were looking for a "husband horse."

I didn't tell you about this horse and have no idea what the deal is.

Again, another one that didn't come from me. But is this the same Belgian you were telling me about, the one you were willing to drive 2 states away for? And you told the owner you would buy her a round bale of hay? Oh wait, it can't be-- you aren't looking for a horse.

This, I admit, I did do. When I saw him advertised, I mentioned him to you. You expressed interest and then regret that he was not showing as available on the owner's personal website. Since I know the owner, I gave her a call to see if he was still for sale, with the hope that I could help two people I consider friends work out an arrangement. Oh, and I did not call her back to see if you had called yet. That is a completely erroneous assumption on your part.

This again was not me. I do not give out other people's info without their permission first, and I know absolutely nothing about this horse.

I can't help but notice your failure to mention the gelding for sale an hour and a half away from you that you and your husband went to go look at this past Sunday. And you and the owner are going to get together again this weekend. Why didn't you mention him? Oh wait, that's right-- you're not looking. And let's not forget the 2 mares you expressed interest in until I did some research on them for you and you changed your mind.

Now, I'm not sure if I was the main target that you started this thread about, or whoever the other person is that "sent" you the other horses. Or both. (and I desperately wish I knew who the other person is so I could tell them how you're stabbing them in the back as well) I can assure you that my only reason for trying to help was because I considered you a friend, you have expressed active interest in looking for horses for both yourself and your husband, and I was delighted at the prospect of having friends who lived nearby to ride with. If this sounds "immature", then I'm sorry for you. If you think it was for some other reason, then you obviously have no idea what kind of person I am.

As for you being more forceful in saying you're not looking-- as most people here have suggested-- it's kinda contradictory when you say one thing in an off-hand manner and then go and do the opposite. And then tell me about it. So, I guess I should wish you good luck in finding some horses, and have a nice life. Oh wait, that's right... you're not looking for any horses right now.
    Was just feeling the need to quote.

13 members found this post helpful.

Crap ! Out of Patron, I need to run to the liquor store again

5 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Ah, so the Houseguest has arrived...

OP (& Stalker) IIWM, I'd tell your "helpful" friend you have to confess, you are really shopping for the meat truck & could she possibly obtain weight of her potential finds?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

3 members found this post helpful.

Ignoring for the moment the remarkably similar grammar, syntax, and tone in the OP and houseguest's posts, OP, which is it: all the horses in the first post were recommended by one person, as you said then, or "many" were from one person and another person sent you other(s) as you said in your latest post?

Because it seems like you are having all sorts of problems communicating clearly and accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    Ignoring for the moment the remarkably similar grammar, syntax, and tone in the OP and houseguest's posts...
    Myself, and quite a few other COTHers, who actually know the OP outside of COTH, can vouch that these are indeed two separate people. Just throwing that out there so there no confusion...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

5 members found this post helpful.

Choo-Choooo!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    Myself, and quite a few other COTHers, who actually know the OP outside of COTH, can vouch that these are indeed two separate people. Just throwing that out there so there no confusion...

Mea Culpa - I did not correctly use the COTHism "houseguest" - I realize OP Hydrophile is not the one challenging her own "rant" - that would be the johnnycomelately newbie: Fienix
    What I was trying to say is...
    Let the Games Begin!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Wow.

I think y'all should step outside to discuss this little issue further
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Out comes the boxed wine...

3 members found this post helpful.

I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Saving before it goes poof.

Quote Originally Posted by Fienix View Post
    Wow, you're either really trying to stir up a pity party for yourself, or your life must be terribly boring. If you're going to trash someone, you ought to at least be truthful. Let's see, where to begin:

Granted, you did say you were specifically looking for a gelding, but you never know. I was a confirmed gelding person too, until I fell in love with a rescue mare I took in years ago. And this was also before you told me about your husband's supposed riding ability and I still thought you were looking for a "husband horse."

I didn't tell you about this horse and have no idea what the deal is.

Again, another one that didn't come from me. But is this the same Belgian you were telling me about, the one you were willing to drive 2 states away for? And you told the owner you would buy her a round bale of hay? Oh wait, it can't be-- you aren't looking for a horse.

This, I admit, I did do. When I saw him advertised, I mentioned him to you. You expressed interest and then regret that he was not showing as available on the owner's personal website. Since I know the owner, I gave her a call to see if he was still for sale, with the hope that I could help two people I consider friends work out an arrangement. Oh, and I did not call her back to see if you had called yet. That is a completely erroneous assumption on your part.

This again was not me. I do not give out other people's info without their permission first, and I know absolutely nothing about this horse.

I can't help but notice your failure to mention the gelding for sale an hour and a half away from you that you and your husband went to go look at this past Sunday. And you and the owner are going to get together again this weekend. Why didn't you mention him? Oh wait, that's right-- you're not looking. And let's not forget the 2 mares you expressed interest in until I did some research on them for you and you changed your mind.

Now, I'm not sure if I was the main target that you started this thread about, or whoever the other person is that "sent" you the other horses. Or both. (and I desperately wish I knew who the other person is so I could tell them how you're stabbing them in the back as well) I can assure you that my only reason for trying to help was because I considered you a friend, you have expressed active interest in looking for horses for both yourself and your husband, and I was delighted at the prospect of having friends who lived nearby to ride with. If this sounds "immature", then I'm sorry for you. If you think it was for some other reason, then you obviously have no idea what kind of person I am.

As for you being more forceful in saying you're not looking-- as most people here have suggested-- it's kinda contradictory when you say one thing in an off-hand manner and then go and do the opposite. And then tell me about it. So, I guess I should wish you good luck in finding some horses, and have a nice life. Oh wait, that's right... you're not looking for any horses right now.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Well ? Are the OP and the Stalker fighting it out offline ?
    What fun is that for US ???

4 members found this post helpful.

Come on, I'm making drinks! We need a refreshing change from political battles and this could be it! When was the last good old-fashioned COTH Train Wreck (tm) that didn't involve slaughter?

You know, horse shopping is kind of personal. I always appreciate hearing about horses that people know about through word of mouth, so I don't think it's a crime to mention to a friend horses that you know about or see advertised, or even to forward an ad via e-mail. But because it is kind of personal, some people might feel uncomfortable with someone else inserting themselves into the shopping process. Some folks might prefer to do their own research and shopping without any interference. It also can get awkward when people might not want to discuss their exact specs regarding price. And sometimes people don't have exact specs, they want to take their time and wait for a horse that appeals to them in a particular way. So Fenix, I wouldn't be insulted or upset, if you do happen to be the subject of this thread it sounds like a misunderstanding, so just relax and let hydro do her own shopping.