The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Microchips for traveling overseas?

My coworker is transferring to Italy for a few years and they're planning to take their dog. The dog will need to be microchipped but they're unfamiliar with the process. Are there certain brands or types of chips that need to be used for overseas travels or are the chips used here in the United States universal?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I believe that EU countries require a 15 digit chip. I did a quick google and found this. http://www.pettravel.com/passports_pet_microchip.cfm
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

They need to make sure the chip is an ISO chip, which most AVID and most of the lesser known brands are not. I know for a fact that all Home Again chips are ISO, and approved or travel to the EU.

I would also reccomend that your friend takes the time to do their own research into what is involved, and not just trust a random website online. I have seen many websites not be current or have misleading information that can cause a lot of trouble and heartache at the airports. Not saying the link above isn't helpful, but as an in general statement from working at a vet clinic that routinely issues international health certificates.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

1 members found this post helpful.

When I took my dog with me to Holland in 2010, all I needed was proof of current rabies and proof of an ISO microchip. Italy might have different requirements (heck, Holland might have different requirements now), so she should definitely contact the American embassy to find out what is required.

My dog actually has two chips now because the one she got as a puppy is an AVID chip - not EU approved. She had to get the Home Again chip to go with me.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Yes, the Home Again chip can be read by the European scanners.

Thank you! I had been looking around to see if I could find which brands here were EU approved with no luck. So thank you for the tip about the Home Again chips.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!